Black Metal and the Star of Azazel

Visual arts, music, poetry and other forms of art.
Mars

Black Metal and the Star of Azazel

Post by Mars »

Black metal is featured a lot on this forum. There's often talk of black metal satanism as being different than the SoA satanism. Do you know any bands/scenes inspired by the SoA?
Kavi

Re: Black Metal and the Star of Azazel

Post by Kavi »

Mars wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:26 pm Black metal is featured a lot on this forum. There's often talk of black metal satanism as being different than the SoA satanism. Do you know any bands/scenes inspired by the SoA?
I am a wrong person to answer, therefore I will answer.

I guess some Finnish bands have been inspired and Nefastos has written some lyrics?
I guess Pirunkehto has some details too?

If I was to found bm band inspired by SoA, I would still keep it quite lowkey and implicit. Just because of artistic and other considerations.
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

Nefastos wrote lyrics for some bands. There are and have been band members in the SoA, but I don't know if those connections are public.
Kenazis

Post by Kenazis »

Mars wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:26 pm Black metal is featured a lot on this forum. There's often talk of black metal satanism as being different than the SoA satanism. Do you know any bands/scenes inspired by the SoA?
What is black metal satanism?
"We live for the woods and the moon and the night"
Kavi

Post by Kavi »

Kenazis wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:16 am
Spreading necröevil on this wörld
Hate of seithan against the gööd...

I don't know honestly.
There is no one definition for black metal and satanism also has many variations.
Kenazis

Post by Kenazis »

Kavi wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:01 pm
Spreading necröevil on this wörld
Hate of seithan against the gööd...

I don't know honestly.
There is no one definition for black metal and satanism also has many variations.
If we start from the 80's and early 90's, satanism in black metal was certain appearance and pretty much what ever those people saw as shocking. After that the connection of black metal and satanism is even more what ever or most often completely non-existent. Some bands/band members identify themselves as satanists (and these define satanism individually, so there's no "one school"), but most just play music and see black metal as some extreme rock'n roll (that in my eyes and ears are less extreme than rock'n roll).
"We live for the woods and the moon and the night"
Smaragd

Post by Smaragd »

Kenazis wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:16 am What is black metal satanism?
In art it is typical to acknowledge the opposing powers in order to cast out to a visible form the recognizable and real struggles these powers present to us. To overcome the dualism of the powers in the performance, or to ignorantly bathe in the astral responses of the challenge, the juxtaposition needs to be made to some degree. This is a place where the Masks of Satan are beheld. And because the effort to see behind these masks defines whether one is able to claim the crown of the Luciferian Self, it is a question whether to remain a slave to the masks and their dual realities or to reach the sovereign Self to a degree. Thus 'black metal satanism' could be seen as worshipping the mask, which is defined by the devices of the art form, i.e. juxtaposition etc. Ofcourse not all who take part of the art of black metal are blinded by it's devices, but it often seems people think 'this' is what they are pointing to, and thus 'black metal satanism' is given birth to. In short, it is the unrefined capabilities of sight that leaves people to worship the mask without realizing the other side much at all.
Benemal wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:57 am There are and have been band members in the SoA, but I don't know if those connections are public.
Yep, this is what I thought. It is hard to point lyrics of some bands where there is clear influence without revealing something people might not like to be known. It is easier to point clear influences from other traditions as I don't know their personal relation to those traditions. For example, in recent years there has been quite a bit of black metal lyrics that are at least seemingly influenced by the literary work on witchcraft of Daniel A. Schulke to a point of banality. But this could be just the universal themes of nature reoccurring through the pens of different practitioners, as is inevitable and probable in such LHP working.
"Would to God that all the Lord's people were Prophets”, Numbers 11:29 as echoed by William Blake
Mars

Post by Mars »

Not my term, I borrowed it from earlier forum discussions. But I would say that black metal satanism more often than not lacks the ethical emphasis that the SoA has.