Occultism on the go

Putting together ones life with the modern world.
Nahumatarah

Occultism on the go

Post by Nahumatarah »

There was already some discussion about travelling here, but I thought id try to open a discussion about travelling from another perspective. There have been times in my life when I have been forced to spend quite significant times away from my home. My earlier line of work involved a lot of travelling, and more than often crashing in places thar were less than optimal for someone who needs private space for daily prayers, meditation and other ritual work. Is there anyone else here who has had to fit their mobile lifestyles with occultism? If so how have you done it? What kind of challenges did you have, and how did you solve them? My traveling usually takes place within the Finnish borders and in the neighbouring countries, but im specially interested in hearing about those of you who travel all over the world, and in countries where mainstream attitutes towards occultism might be tense. Have you had to practice your religion in secrecy? How did you do it? Does for example jet-lag effect your practice? If so how?

Ill start. As my personal occult work is not only ritual oriented but also very tied to schedules, it was indeed a challenge to be able to pray and meditate on fixed hours, when I had no idea whether I would be sleeping on a train, a van or crashing at some friends place. These days I travel less for work and more for meeting friends and family which of course most often allows for better privacy. Friends and family members also know of my religious outlook so there is no akwardness in asking for a space to pray. These days if i have to travel I carry with me on all my trips a small box containing a bell, striker, small ceramic cup for holding water, prayer beads, a compass to help determin which direction my home altar is at, and a Key of Azazel. I have also been carrying a small meditation pillow to ease my tired knees when bowing towards the direction of the altar, though I've been thinking about swapping it for some sort of prayer mat since that would propably take less space in the luggage. Naturally all this is much easier during summertime when it's warm enough to go pray outside, but as you know winters in Finland can be quite harsh and while i do love freezing cold weather performing long rituals in such condititions is not something I would want to be doing very often.

Anyone is welcome to take part in this discussion.
"The time has come to turn your heart into a temple of fire."

- Jalāl ad-Dīn Mohammad Rūmī
Smaragd

Re: Occultism on the go

Post by Smaragd »

I try to keep the devotional moments brief enough so that the devotional work has some meaning, but will not have too much chances to be bothered by different things. I do feel it takes alot from my focus if visitations to relatives last too long with this kind of situation. Perhaps the forementioned more elaborate tools - the bell and the striker etc. - would help bringing focus even on to a bit more brief moments. But haste can ruin it all. Speaking of haste, I am reminded of the idea frater Beshiira has often mentioned that everything is to become a prayer, or the prayer to ring within everything one does. I'm paraphrasing and translating, so my apologies if the idea is being brutalized. In my vision, the feeling of haste melts away even from hasteful moments - haste perhaps turning to firmness - when such attitude is succesfully cultivated.
"Would to God that all the Lord's people were Prophets”, Numbers 11:29 as echoed by William Blake
Nahumatarah

Post by Nahumatarah »

Smaragd wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:39 pmPerhaps the forementioned more elaborate tools - the bell and the striker etc. - would help bringing focus even on to a bit more brief moments. But haste can ruin it all.
These tools to me are not so "elaborate" but rather bare bones considering my usual implements. I find my self missing my incense, candles, statues, books and other items often when I'm on the road, since my senses require quite a lot of stimuli to allow me to focus more clearly. I did try some years ago to go full zazen and just stare at empty wall but it seems it is by "candle, by book and by bell" only that I can get Shaitan to stop his constant whispering in my ear, and pay attention for once.

Years ago i misplaced some luggage containing a tarot deck, books, prayer beads and other such items. I felt painfully connected to them for quite some time after. Severing this connection was even more painful. This experience taught me a valuable lesson about becoming too attached to such objects.
Smaragd wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:39 pmI am reminded of the idea frater Beshiira has often mentioned that everything is to become a prayer, or the prayer to ring within everything one does
This is my goal as well, but as it is I am far from being there yet. If my memory serves me right I think Krishna-centric Vaishnavite traditions speak of something similar. To make make every aspect of life a service to Krishna. To think of Him constantly as In prayer. I'm no expert on their beliefs and practices so please do correct me if I'm mistaken. I think this is also the goal of many other hardcore devotees from mystic traditions.

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Prayers, meditations, mental alchemy and Tarot(Especially Tarot) is good way to practice occultism on the go.
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

I went to Norway a couple of summers ago and brought my tiny bell, a chime candle, my rosary, and my prayer book with me. At the time, my prayer practice wasn't as structured time-wise as it is now, but I would wake up and pray and then pray again before I went to sleep. My travel buddy would usually go shower or grab a bite to eat when I did this so I could have some privacy. I have seriously minimized my ritual instruments over the past couple of years, preferring to heavily visualize, but I still have a pretty elaborate set up for more intricate rituals like the calendary rites or prayers on full moons. Luckily, I don't have to travel very often or I'm not sure how I would feel without those instruments with me. I would probably pack my suitcase with incense, herbs, and altar pieces, haha!
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

Seferoth wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:40 am Prayers, meditations, mental alchemy and Tarot(Especially Tarot) is good way to practice occultism on the go.
I'm always paranoid I'll forget my cards somewhere if they leave my house, though I used to carry a mini Rider Waite deck with me at all times.
Great suggestions!
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
RaktaZoci

Post by RaktaZoci »

Even though I do prefer familiar environment, as it has been said, home is where the heart is. That being said, following the times with any given sun ritual, for example, tends to be challenging at times. However, I have been doing these basicly every day at work for quite some time now (many years). I think it has much to do with your state of mind. If you can just sort of fall into yourself and block disturbances out, anything can work. Also, practicing doing ceremonial matter in one's "body of Light", as Crowley called it, helps immensely and also makes it possible to practice anywhere where you can just be still for some time. I have been traveling around the world with my bands for the recent years and have been doing ritual practice "in my head" in aeroplanes, buses, airports etc.

When there's a Will, there's a Way. ;)
die Eule der Minerva beginnt erst mit der einbrechenden Dämmerung ihren Flug.
-Hegel
Nahumatarah

Post by Nahumatarah »

I just realized that I wrote jet-lag in my original post when I probably should have put "time difference" there instead since It catches the idea, but is a bit broader term.
RaktaZoci wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:26 pmI think it has much to do with your state of mind. If you can just sort of fall into yourself and block disturbances out, anything can work.
Agreed. As someone who, from time to time, suffers from fatigue inducing sensory overload in crowded places, yet have chosen to work and spend considerable amounts of time in such gatherings for Devil knows what masochistic impulses I have been forced to learn this pretty early on in my life.
RaktaZoci wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:26 pmAlso, practicing doing ceremonial matter in one's "body of Light", as Crowley called it, helps immensely and also makes it possible to practice anywhere where you can just be still for some time.
That's a great approach. Perhaps dream yoga, astral projection, lucid dreaming and such practices are workable almost anywhere, although I think success in practices like these can still benefit from the aforementioned familiar environment, I don't know but I guess it boils down to the practitioner in the end. Thank you frater, for your valuable input.

Home truly is where the heart is.

Benemal

Post by Benemal »

I don't do rituals or prayers, but the reasons for that belong in a philosophical topic (I've prayed once, for something, and directly got what I wanted. Getting what you want is dangerous. I did a ritual once, to gain power. Got it, don't know what to do with it.). I keep two "lucky charms" with me. One is a silver pendant, with the SoA sigil etched on it, made by fra Teratokrios. Putting it on always means something. Another is a piece of extraterrestrial material (not just et but also non-native substance) given to me by fra Fatuus once, when I was feeling down.
Nahumatarah

Post by Nahumatarah »

Benemal wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:22 pmPutting it on always means something
I used to carry many charms with me before. These days I feel that most of them belong to certain situations (i.e. ritual context) only. I do carry a small silver ring with me all the time that not only has sentimental value, but magical properties too even though there are no etchings, carvings or special consecrations involved. Same goes for a pair of ordinary earrings. These are sort of "neutral" amulets for me, not tied to special workings. I have some tattoos that work as talismans and or amulets. I won't go into details about those, but I guess having them is one way to practice on the move