Lucifer and the Feathered Serpent

Symbols and allegories.
Gangleri

Lucifer and the Feathered Serpent

Post by Gangleri »

In ancient american cultures the feathered serpent was in an important role as a light-bearer and it was connected to Venus, the morning and evening star. The serpent had a role in prosperity cults and in agriculture, and later it had a role as the bringer of civilization. The euhemistic interpretation says that the myth is based upon a man, a ruler, who called himself as the Feathered Serpent, but I believe the myth to be of older origin and perhaps connected to Atlantis somehow also. In Kalevala there is a line where Wäinämöinen promises to give a feathered fur to the one who collects his tears under the clear waters; the people try (kama, kama-manas), the raven tries (manas), but only the Bluebill (Buddhi) succeeds in the task. I think the feathered serpent can be seen as a variation of the Dragon also, and it reminds me of the Sunday planetary hymn part of the dragon as a bearer of the Sun/Son of Light.

How do you see the connection between Lucifer, or Lucifer-Christos, and the Feathered Serpent?
Yinlong

Re: Lucifer and the Feathered Serpent

Post by Yinlong »

I have studied this particularly intensively some time ago. To the surprise of no-one knowing me personally, it combines two dear interests to me: Finnish (or Fennic) mythology and - of course - dragons and related beings.
I think the feathered serpent can be seen as a variation of the Dragon also
Yes, definitely so. This was more or less proposed as such by Martti Haavio, who is one of my favorite Finnish academics because of his elaborate text and super deep knowledge of European and Universal human history and tales. Lievo (there are many derivatives of this name) is the (most common) name of the creature. It is described as the (ancient) Mother (Emo/Emuu) of all things feathered and scaled, basically birds and lizards etc. - creatures that lay eggs I suppose in general. I think because things mix and can shift shapes, this creature takes the fiery form more towards "Kokko-lintu" (think something like a Phoenix or similar) when going to the upper worlds - and more of a form like a snake when going to the lower worlds. Or just has both. This creature (or its derivatives) can be of course used to travel (or help in traveling) to the aforementioned worlds. Needs to be mentioned that in Finnish mythology it is super important to know where things derive from, these poems and spells are often called something and synty (birth). Maybe it can be considered an ancient way of categorizing things. Furthermore, dragons as archetypes has been studied academically and computer analysis on the tales (and their themes / mythemes) pretty much confirm your thoughts, Gangleri: The oldest archetypes are very much older than written history. I think it is no surprise that we have feathered snakes in the (Native) American poetry and religion (which match such strongly the depictions of Northern mythology).

For further reading I recommend everything written by Martti Haavio, the old poems and the commentaries (of course) and Julien d'Huy.
Quaerendo Invenietis - Na dìomhcuimhnich a-chaoidh - Feuer frei!
Gangleri

Re: Lucifer and the Feathered Serpent

Post by Gangleri »

Yinlong wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:58 am I think because things mix and can shift shapes, this creature takes the fiery form more towards "Kokko-lintu" (think something like a Phoenix or similar) when going to the upper worlds - and more of a form like a snake when going to the lower worlds.
The Indo-European mythology concerning the eagle and the serpent comes to my mind, and I think exoterically at least the myth is somewhat dualistic and cruel - the Eagle feasting upon the Serpent. The esoteric interpretation and the feathered serpent especially on the other hand can be considered as a form of "joining the hands", where Heaven (Eagle) and Earth (Serpent) unite in ascension, and it of course also reminds me of the Christic aphorism of being innocent as the dove and wise as the serpent, or the alchemical saying "The Eagle flying in the air and the Toad crawling on the ground is the Magistery" (Michael Maier).