Music and reading

Visual arts, music, poetry and other forms of art.
Seferoth

Music and reading

Post by Seferoth »

This topic came in my mind when i read Apocrypha Lucifera today, i noticed that whenever i read something i need to listen some form of music or ambience tracks to get in the right "mood". Whenever i read the bible i put some form of angelic or monastery chanting music on, when i read writings of Frater Nefastos i put some form of occultic music, chanting/ritual hymns or temple/library ambience music on. For me it is quite hard to read without music, for me music really enhances the reading experience. What about you? Any music or ambience needed for reading?
Polyhymnia

Re: Music and reading

Post by Polyhymnia »

I'm almost the complete opposite in this way. I do often have music on during prayers or rituals, or if my Work is something I'm doing with my hands, but even that is usually instrumental and at a very low volume. It is generally something that helps build a specific atmosphere though.
Reading is an entirely different beast though, and for me I need silence. I often joke I don't possess enough brain power for all the neural pathways to fire enough for me to do two things at once.
At least I hope it's a joke.
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Polyhymnia wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:13 am I'm almost the complete opposite in this way. I do often have music on during prayers or rituals, or if my Work is something I'm doing with my hands, but even that is usually instrumental and at a very low volume. It is generally something that helps build a specific atmosphere though.
Reading is an entirely different beast though, and for me I need silence. I often joke I don't possess enough brain power for all the neural pathways to fire enough for me to do two things at once.
At least I hope it's a joke.
Yes, we are exactly opposites in this. I need total(or nearly) silence when i am doing prayers or rituals. Don't really know why though, it's like music is disturbing me during prayers and rituals, but somehow helps me concentrate better when i read. Hmmm. I do agree that certain kind of music could help to create a suitable atmosphere during rituals and such, perhaps i just need to find a right kind of music or ambience track.
Gangleri

Post by Gangleri »

Listening music, reading and praying are distinctively separate things for me. Sometimes very rarely I might have something playing in the background when praying but never when I read. I find reading almost impossible if there is music playing or some other noise around; so complete silence is the preferred state for me when delving in some good book.
Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Gangleri wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:22 pm Listening music, reading and praying are distinctively separate things for me. Sometimes very rarely I might have something playing in the background when praying but never when I read. I find reading almost impossible if there is music playing or some other noise around; so complete silence is the preferred state for me when delving in some good book.
I think the reason why i personally need music is the fact that i am always listening to music. There is not one minute when i am not listening something(when i am in front of my pc). I guess i could say silence is unnatural for me at this point...and distracting. Even when i am trying to sleep i need to hear something, sound of a tv or a sound of fan blowing....something. I used to be like this when i was a kid too.