Activating Passive Forum Members

Events, meetings and announcements.
Beshiira

Re: Activating Passive Forum Members

Post by Beshiira »

Nefastos wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:40 pm
I must, however, point out that a big part of this is because of an artificial effort. [---] a fact many people seem not to realize is that someone is deliberately making the material for them.
Yes, and to something similar I was trying to aim at with this:
Beshiira wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:52 pm This vitality is probably most of all due to the few most active members. Maybe if we, who write more rarely, saw our participation also as being support to them as well as the whole vitality of the forum, it could lower the threshold to write (even if shortly or rarely).
Meaning, that if we saw that our participation has a direct effect on other people and the forum as a whole, it could give a new meaning to the whole idea of "forum writing", and perhaps motivate to write something more often, even if just shortly. That when we write something, it might "lighten the burden" of somene else, that every post is like an act of vivification to the forum or a small branch thrown into the fire; that it is active work for others, not only ourselves. Something I could keep in mind more myself and be more active on that basis.
"Ja kun minun kirkkauteni kulkee ohitse, asetan minä sinut kallion rotkoon ja peitän sinut kädelläni, kunnes olen kulkenut ohi.
Kun minä sitten siirrän pois käteni, näet sinä minun selkäpuoleni; mutta minun kasvojani ei voi kenkään katsoa."
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

I think everyone here has valid points because the reasons for inactivity truly are endlessly varied. I know I personally have a hard time stumbling upon some of my earliest posts because I really have a tendency to just charge forth with even the silliest questions. Many of the concepts are initially difficult to understand (I remember the days of yearning for the moment I could understand the way the SoA uses Sanskrit) and I think one might worry about making an ass out of themselves.
Which they shouldn't. Even my silliest inquiries have been met with kind answers.
It is my hope that the forum sees more activity, but I do find comfort in the fact that these threads are timeless and that seekers who come can find these discussions intact.
My lodge duties often put the forum further down on my list, but I am going to try and make a habit of at least contributing to these discussions where I can, even if I don't currently have what it takes to start them. An act of "lightening the burden" like fra Beshiira stated.
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
Kavi

Post by Kavi »

I add my cents here.

I used some of my earlier time before applying a username to forum to just read discussions through.
Some people like me, just read and absorb and think - writing also is one form of thinking and it needs practice.
There is many other reasons too, I think.
Aquila

Post by Aquila »

The least I can do, is to be more active on the forums. That's not too much of an effort, although my rhythm of posting will be limited for some time. As I'm not that much of an expert in any specific field of occultism, I concentrate more on general themes, ethics, and any ideas that might come to mind.

Also new members enliven the forum a lot so hopefully new people arriving have enough courage to participate :)
Cerastes

Post by Cerastes »

I've been rather passive lately but I miss the valuable imput from the forum.
New forum members from different places around the globe could be activating old members and make the discussion more dynamic. Maybe we can make a little more PR for this forum to reach more people.
“Granny Weatherwax was not lost. She wasn't the kind of person who ever became lost. It was just that, at the moment, while she knew exactly where SHE was, she didn't know the position of anywhere else.”
(Terry Pratchett, Wyrd Sisters)
Beshiira

Post by Beshiira »

Aquila wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:58 am As I'm not that much of an expert in any specific field of occultism, I concentrate more on general themes, ethics, and any ideas that might come to mind.
Very relatable. In my thoughts and in my work I often go back to and remind myself of the very ”basic stuff”; why do I practice occultism, what exactly is its power and purpose. (In short: I believe I and we all have a duty to grow, become better and work for the whole; to lessen the suffering in the world.) This ”basic stuff” or ”preliminary preparation” (as it is called in one of the Mahatma Letters) in my opinion truly is the most important thing in occultism, the very foundation of it, but well, it doesn't necessarily make interesting forum conversation... Of more detailed theories, I often don't have much to say.

But then again, there are pretty much endless points of view and practical aspects to this ”basic stuff” too.
"Ja kun minun kirkkauteni kulkee ohitse, asetan minä sinut kallion rotkoon ja peitän sinut kädelläni, kunnes olen kulkenut ohi.
Kun minä sitten siirrän pois käteni, näet sinä minun selkäpuoleni; mutta minun kasvojani ei voi kenkään katsoa."
Tariq

Post by Tariq »

Gangleri wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:08 pm (Why register into a forum if one has no intention to participate? I can't understand.)
I came to think that one reason can be that when you register on a forum you can see which topics have new replies, and thus follow the conversation more easily. So in a way the reason might be entirely mechanical.
Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

I personally only register when i am sure to be active in the forum. Take this forum for instance, i have been a lurker for a while, but only lately decided to register as i have delved deeper into the writings of The Star of Azazel and Frater Nefastos, and i would like to give my opinions on many things and i am also in need of some answers. Still, many have their own reasons for registering.
Segel

Post by Segel »

There are probably just as many reasons for registered users not to speak on this forum as there are registered users.
One reason that comes to mind is because I have said here so many things that I can’t stand behind after and that I’m sorry about, so maybe some people aren’t so impulsive and reckless and know intuitively better that sometimes it’s time to just listen to others who have deeper knowledge of things. It is also easier for a registered user to use this forum and isn’t that a good thing that many people have found here.
Astraya

Post by Astraya »

Segel wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:19 am isn’t that a good thing that many people have found here.
My thoughts also, it is a good and important thing that many people can participate by following the forum. Hopefully these people find needed sights and thoughts here.
“There can be no transforming of darkness into light and of apathy into movement without emotion”
― Carl Gustav Jung