Meaningful Work Under Difficult Circumstances

Putting together ones life with the modern world.
Polyhymnia

Re: Meaningful Work Under Difficult Circumstances

Post by Polyhymnia »

Nefastos wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:47 am Anyone can contribute. The real problem is ennui, the modern man's self-pity. Which is very understandable, but still only a fatal mistake and nothing more.
When I first joined the brotherhood, one of the ways my energy shifted was in a full out emotional purge that was pure anguish to go through. It seemed as though every hurt I had experienced, both very deep and shallow, throughout the entirety of my life in this body, came to the surface and bubbled over in a period of several agonizing weeks. I hadn't experienced the urge to self-pity ever so strongly in my life as I did for those few weeks, but I was able to address each wound, one by one, head on, and clean and bandage them. When the purge was done, I was able to begin healing, and that was the day I truly felt free within my Work. And now, when difficulties arise, I try to address them immediately in the moment, knowing that those difficulties are fleeting but the Work is eternal. Then I take several deep breaths, and do what needs to be done, for nothing truly worth something comes easily.
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

I suppose I didn't write the details of the how in moving forward when things are difficult. The answer I have is fairly broad, though. It's pretty much just by any means possible.
The bare minimum for me is making it to my altar at least once a day for prayers. On physically difficult days I will lay in bed while facing my altar, but still get the prayers in. I see everything I can do above and beyond this as a blessing, and I am often able to accomplish more because my bar is set at a manageable level that doesn't ask too much of me on days I have nothing to give.
I use voice recorder a lot for ideas when my hands don't function the way I want them to, or I use those physically limited days as days to plan the days I am able to complete more tasks.
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
Mars

Post by Mars »

Polyhymnia wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:29 amWhen I first joined the brotherhood, one of the ways my energy shifted was in a full out emotional purge that was pure anguish to go through. It seemed as though every hurt I had experienced, both very deep and shallow, throughout the entirety of my life in this body, came to the surface and bubbled over in a period of several agonizing weeks. I hadn't experienced the urge to self-pity ever so strongly in my life as I did for those few weeks, but I was able to address each wound, one by one, head on, and clean and bandage them. When the purge was done, I was able to begin healing, and that was the day I truly felt free within my Work. And now, when difficulties arise, I try to address them immediately in the moment, knowing that those difficulties are fleeting but the Work is eternal. Then I take several deep breaths, and do what needs to be done, for nothing truly worth something comes easily.
This sounds familiar (although I'm not a member of the brotherhood). I feel like I'm also going through something like this, although in my case it started in the fall of 2019 and still isn't through! (Although it may finally be easing its grip a bit). It's been very intense, and the start was intense as well (one Sunday afternoon, watching a movie, suddenly feeling like someone was squeezing my chest and head with a hydraulic press). I believe that these purges are essential and they just have to be endured, to let them happen.

This is a lovely thread and the topic is very important, since difficult circumstances are so common to the occult aspirants. To me the most important thing is to hold on to the lofty spiritual ideals, never to lose sight of them. The question of how they can be applied to this or that situation then becomes quite clear, as if the ideal itself gives the answer. I try to be like Aragorn, who "shall die as one of them" if that's what it takes!
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

A ranger caught off guard took part of our lovely but a bit off-topic conversation into another thread Tolkien & the Lord of the Rings.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

For me it's a bit constant struggle to get anything done, or to be more precise to "get started" is the problem. Anxiety and depression are the constant hindrances in my life, but there is other side to this. When i manage to get over this obstacle i usually can and will devote myself to it(whatever it is) fully, getting over that obstacle alone fills me with certain determination and confidence that helps me with the task in hand. Take Star of Azazel for an example, for sometime i was only a lurker here and did everything independently, i used to think how people might laugh at me, reject me or criticize me for some of my views and actions, it was quite the struggle to get to this point where i am now, meaning participating in these conversations, seeking brotherhood with others and to continue my work and studies in a more public way.
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

This is a very common struggle. In fact, this thread was just started by Soror O discussing this "trial by air". I am very glad you overcame your doubts and fears and joined us here.
Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Polyhymnia wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:41 am This is a very common struggle. In fact, this thread was just started by Soror O discussing this "trial by air". I am very glad you overcame your doubts and fears and joined us here.
Thank you. Today after reading Apocrypha Lucifer i think i finally understood what i want to be in this life and what i want from my life, and i am now quite sure that The Star of Azazel needs to be a part of it and i part of The Star of Azazel.