Full Moon Dreams

Astral and paranormal experiences, dreams and visions.
Benemal

Re: Full Moon Dreams

Post by Benemal »

Nefastos wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:26 am I am grateful of the fact that lately I have been immersed in deep dreams of a city that does exist in the outer world. Only on rare occasions in my life, in situations where I have reached a new energetic center, I have had these dreams of nameless cities where there are sensations unknown in the waking world.
Do you have any idea, why someone would have dreams like that all the time, for a decade? I have no idea. This reminded me of a dream a few weeks ago, of which I intended to post something, because it was one of the most impressive, during this decade of unreal cityscapes (the first kind don't happen, or I don't remember them). I was napping on the couch and fell asleep, for just maybe twenty minutes. I went to an supernaturally beautiful city, that on this occasion, wasn't European. The dreamcities ususally have a European feel, sometimes ancient mediterranean and sometimes a megacity of the future. This city was some ancient - in present day - place in the middle-east. The architecture is hard to describe. It was magic architecture, but physical. Silvery grey buildings, that might have been gigantic sculptures. I was in an elevated position, able to see all of the city. I was really excited. It was the greatest place I had ever seen. My mun was there. I went over to her and said: Mum, I can't believe this place is real. I see cities like this in my dreams, but I didn't know they could be visited, in the real world (in dreams I don't know I'm dreaming, but I can think). Then I went around the wall, looking down at the city. I woke up sort of out of breath and didn't know where I was, or who I was. That dissociation is quite familiar, but this was maybe the most powerful ever. Then I remembered, that it's just me, in my cave and magic cities aren't real. I nearly cried.

That's scratching the surface. Maybe if you see these unreal cityscapes, Nefastos, you really know what I mean, though I lack the poetry to express it. So I looked to my bookshelf. Maybe someone there has the words. The answer came quickly. Borges.

"In the Gnostic cosmogonies, the demiurgi knead and mould a red Adam who cannot stand alone; as unskilful and crude and elementary as this Adam of dust was the Adam of dreams fabricated by the magician's nights of effort. One afternoon, the man almost destroyed his work, but then repented. (It would have been better for him had he destroyed it.) Once he had completed his supplications to the numina of the earth and the river, he threw himself down at the feet of the effigy which was perhaps a tiger and perhaps a horse, and implored its unknown succour. That twilight, he dreamt of the statue. He dreamt of it as a living, tremulous thing : it was not an atrocious mongrel of tiger and horse, but both these vehement creatures at once, and also a bull, a rose, a tempest. This multiple god revealed to him that its earthly name was Fire, that in the circular temple (and in others of its kind) people had rendered it sacrifices and cult and that it would magically give life to the sleeping phantom, in such a way that all creatures except Fire itself and the dreamer would believe him to be a man of flesh and blood. The man was ordered by the divinity to instruct his creature in its rites, and send him to the other broken temple whose pyramids survived downstream, so that in this deserted edifice a voice might give glory to the god. In the dreamer's dream, the dreamed one awoke."

PS: Hint to Nefastos; Lemon Melissa. Sleepytime.
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Benemal wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:43 pmDo you have any idea, why someone would have dreams like that all the time, for a decade?

I think that we usually tap into astral splendour when there is great inner gift and vision, but it is yet somewhat unrealized in the waking life. Compare to Lovecraft & his titanic dream cities, and how he lived his outer life. I think that those cities are in fact real, but their reality is in the level of "potentiality" rather than in this mundane level of "physical result". How early theosophist masters discussed the concept of devachan ("Heaven", that is nothing like Judeo-Christian Heaven) might help here. Our Western concepts of what is "real" and how the only factual mode of being must be conducted by brain matter & into organically functioning projected reality are not the whole truth. Jung's idea of living in the cardboard box world here, while the actual cosmos is something totally different, is what the religious teachings in different cultures have always trying to say before they have been mutilated into this Cartesian duality & Procrustian set of morals.

This is part of the reason why I prefer escapism myself. And one reason why I do not act in escapistic way (but rather try to work as hard as I can) is so I could manage to leave this cardboard box world for good when the opportunity rises. There must be no ties of unfulfilled obligations at the time when the subconscious whole starts to unravel, with is inner Diabolos ready to make such demands.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

Nefastos wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:47 pm I think that we usually tap into astral splendour when there is great inner gift and vision, but it is yet somewhat unrealized in the waking life.
Unrealized seems correct. I don't know how to do it. Art is not enough. Making drawings of the dreamscapes would be just imaginary architecture. Fantasy art, which I'm not against, but it doesn't interest me (Beksinski is considered fantasy, but I see it as more elevated than that. First time I saw his paintings I thought this is like my dreams. Dreams are a big part of surrealism, which is a part of what I do). Maybe I've been thinking about it wrong all along. I thought all the dreams contained some encrypted meaning I'm supposed to decypher and that I had failed to do so, since they never stop (except when I smoke weed).
There's the other dreams also, but this is off-topic anyway, because this not connected to full-moon.
Nefastos wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:47 pm Compare to Lovecraft & his titanic dream cities, and how he lived his outer life.
Clark Ashton Smith was a better writer (though Lovecraft was a better storyteller). CAS collection Emperor Of Dreams is recommended. I guess I'd write something like that, if I could (my avatar image is Tsatthoqqua, the hairy toad god ;) ).
Nefastos wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:47 pm Jung's idea of living in the cardboard box world here, while the actual cosmos is something totally different, is what the religious teachings in different cultures have always trying to say before they have been mutilated into this Cartesian duality & Procrustian set of morals.
The Cheshire cat does not stay in the box, dead, or alive.

ps: Funny coincidence, a few days ago I was looking at Hellblazer comic books in the library, because I've had much trouble reading books lately and I thought one of the great comic writers, like Grant Morrison, Alan Moore or Garth Ennis would maybe help. Constantine is not a good movie. Preacher show is pretty good.
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

Nefastos wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:47 pm

This is part of the reason why I prefer escapism myself. And one reason why I do not act in escapistic way (but rather try to work as hard as I can) is so I could manage to leave this cardboard box world for good when the opportunity rises. There must be no ties of unfulfilled obligations at the time when the subconscious whole starts to unravel, with is inner Diabolos ready to make such demands.
Clicking on the link made me lol for real. I like the movie, and I like the comics, and I like both the show and the comic for Preacher, but I am easily entertained. I'm not as familiar with Jung as I'd like to be (yet!) and quick google searches aren't being very helpful. Could you point me in the right direction for more information?

And did anyone have anything particular happen this past full moon? I've had really intense dreams of work this past week. Just last night it seemed to play an endless loop of me performing the song O Death on stage (a past performance with my band) and then it would switch to me making labels for my business (which i've spent the better half of the week doing obsessively) and then back to the performance. Over and over and over and over. Even in my dream I thought, "surely, I am going insane."
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
Smaragd

Post by Smaragd »

Polyhymnia wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:10 pm And did anyone have anything particular happen this past full moon?
I thought I wouldn't share this dream for not to mess up the process, but later on I thought it might even help with it and if some part of it is or will relate to some fraternity work, as in some way is quite propable, it might be good to share it.
Around the 25th, when Nefastos reminded of this topic I happened to dream again one of my dreams of threatening beasts. They are usually bears with whom there’s tension with which I’m trying to balance so that they will not charge or if they charge, I’m still having to find ways to keep that charge from becoming a violent contact. They are not really nightmares, because this ability to keep up, or redirect the tension without it slipping to violence. This time there was a remarkable difference in the dream, for instead of bears, there was other animals the most tense thread came from a white bull of Indian breed. I looked it up and Nandi – the Mount of Shiva is quite apparent point in mythology, and felt meaningful although I’m not sure what this means in my situation. He charged me, but I managed to confront it in a way it stopped. The bull calmed down headed to other direction and I was free to leave the place where other people were chased by hares and other smaller animals. But upon leaving I felt like I should go back helping for it sounded like a carnage with fireworks back there (the animal powers going wild were like colorful actual fireworks). I think I should have had to keep up the contact with the bull rather than just leave it to a brief confrontation, which only prevented something terrible to happen and leaving me sort of empty handed rather than finding solutions to the whole situation spreading in the area quite wildly.

Closer to the full moon I have blurry memories of hurrying somewhere and then perhaps arriving and working on something with Graal lodge, which felt relieving.
"Would to God that all the Lord's people were Prophets”, Numbers 11:29 as echoed by William Blake
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Smaragd wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:37 pmAround the 25th, when Nefastos reminded of this topic I happened to dream again one of my dreams of threatening beasts. [...] This time there was a remarkable difference in the dream, for instead of bears, there was other animals the most tense thread came from a white bull of Indian breed. I looked it up and Nandi – the Mount of Shiva is quite apparent point in mythology, and felt meaningful [...] The bull calmed down headed to other direction and I was free to leave the place where other people were chased by hares and other smaller animals.[...] sounded like a carnage with fireworks [...] Closer to the full moon I have blurry memories of hurrying somewhere and then perhaps arriving and working on something with Graal lodge, which felt relieving.

What a fascinating dream sequence! Confronting Shiva's bull, the "Ecstasy" (Nandi-Ananda) itself, and that disintegrating into smaller beast of energy and fright (hares, having the same center as Venereal animals), whose "carnage" – a hecatomb of bringing that basic energy into spiritual working – pave the way to a Graal meeting. This is very "White touching Red in Black background", which is the essence of the Chalice that is now Graal.

Polyhymnia wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:10 pmAnd did anyone have anything particular happen this past full moon?

A bit like you mentioned, also I was more in a sending rather than receiving end of this full moon, engrossed in a day long ritual.

Polyhymnia wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:10 pmI'm not as familiar with Jung as I'd like to be (yet!) and quick google searches aren't being very helpful. Could you point me in the right direction for more information?

My reference was to Jung's autobiography. But since the last time I sent somenone (brother Nayana) of searching a particular part I recalled being a part of that book, he had to go through it whole just to notice that no such part existed there. Ouch! So, I searched for you the exact passages:

Memories, Dreams, Reflections wrote:In reality, a good three weeks were still to pass before I could truly make up my mind to live again. I could not eat because all food repelled me. The view of city and mountains from my sick-bed seemed to me like a painted curtain with black holes in it, or a tattered sheet of newspaper full of photographs that mean nothing. Disappointed, I thought, "Now I must return to the 'box system' again." For it seemed to me as if behind the horizon of the cosmos a three-dimensional world had been artificially built up, in which each person sat by himself in a little box. And now I should have to convince myself all over again that this was important! Life and the whole world struck me as a prison, and it bothered me beyond measure that I should again be finding all that quite in order. I had been so glad to shed it all, and now it had come about that I – along with everyone else – would again be hung up in a box by a thread. [---]

It is impossible to convey the beauty and intensity of emotion during those visions. They were the most tremendous things I have ever experiences. And what a contrast the day was: I was tormented and on ed[g]e; everything irritated me, everything was too material, too crude and clumsy, terribly limited both spatially and spiritually. It was all an imprisonment, for reasons impossible to divine, and yet it had a kind of hypnotic power, a cogency, as if it were reality itself, for all that I had clearly perceived its emptiness. Although my belief in the world returned to me, I have never since entirely freed myself of the impression that this life is a segment of existence which is enacted in a three-dimensional boxlike universe especially set for it. ("Visions", p.323, 326)

I share this same view on "box" reality.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

Nefastos wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:46 pm
My reference was to Jung's autobiography. But since the last time I sent somenone (brother Nayana) of searching a particular part I recalled being a part of that book, he had to go through it whole just to notice that no such part existed there. Ouch! So, I searched for you the exact passages
Thank you so much! I don't think I would have ever found that on my own, at least for some time when I can seriously study his work.

I don't think I dreamt at all this week, but I've been plagued by a week-long migraine that has woken me up almost every night. It finally broke today, so I'm going to sleep with a journal beside my head and see if anything pops up this close to a new moon.
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

Nefastos wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:46 pm I share this same view on "box" reality.
I understand Jung's inability to express the absolute awe, that he felt in those celestial (or abysmal) spheres. I've never seen them as somehow more real, than this, but maybe that's because I was never in the box (after age seven), and the astral is part of the waking consciousness (which is insanity). I thought it's just imagination without the constraint of the physical brain. I've just realized, this might explain why I'm so easily entertained by the colors, sounds, smells and vapors, of Maya. Being not fully anywhere. A terminal weakness, or a blessing?
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Benemal wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:53 pmmaybe that's because I was never in the box (after age seven), and the astral is part of the waking consciousness (which is insanity). I thought it's just imagination without the constraint of the physical brain. I've just realized, this might explain why I'm so easily entertained by the colors, sounds, smells and vapors, of Maya. Being not fully anywhere. A terminal weakness, or a blessing?

An acute question! Even though our human culture has diversified a lot in a certain senses, it is in some others still extremely twodimensional and restricted. Before the World Wars, there was some attempt to expand the overall experience of being a human, to a more sympathetic, "melt" state. Goethe and Steiner, for example, made such attempts of bringing human consciousness to the roots of sensory perceptions, from sthûla to linga. Nowadays how that attempt is done is quite different, and almost always demands the use of some outer instruments. This in turn makes the final results (results of the results) different.
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

Getting a bit off-topic now, with stuff that has been discussed in many other topics before. Dying to the world, mortification, salt becoming tasteless, and so forth. How something very dear can become an addiction, even a religion, and then lose all meaning, taste and color. Particularly this happened to me with music. What I meant by it possibly being a blessing, to have other tastes and colors to turn to, to possibly heal your despair. I wanted to quickly post about this, before trying to find an appropriate topic, where maybe this stuff needs to be discussed once again.