Different "Necronomicons".

Discussion on literature other than by the Star of Azazel.
obnoxion

Re: Different "Necronomicons".

Post by obnoxion »

RaktaZoci wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:10 pm How convenient that fra obnoxion should start this topic at this time, since I also watched this movie, hmm, two days ago. Personally I was slightly disappointed, mostly due to my (bad) affiliations with Mr.Cage and also the semi glued-on wiccan cover story, but, compared to the HPL story, I guess the filmatization was quite alright. Doesn't win, though, the movies made by Mythoscope, such as Call of Cthulhu or Whisperer in Darkness
I thought the Wiccan daughter was a nice idea, because it featured the witchcraft in a plausible way in the contenporary setting. It brought a touch magical realism to the film. I especially enjoyed how the geologist asked her If she was "Gardnerian or Alexandrian", breaking a stereotype. This was, however, a sci-fi rather than a horror film. And I am not that keen on sci-fi, whilst I adore horror
RaktaZoci wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:10 pm But about Necronomicon. The Simon version is indeed the most popular one. I have actually kept a lecture on this subject, since James Wasserman and Weiser co. were very much involved in the story of the book. Simon has also written another book, Dead names, which (by him) is the actual translation of the name Necronomicon. This is basicly a history of how the book came to be translated and printed.
Also, there are "The Gates of Necronomicon" and "The Necronomicon Spellbook" that belong to the Simon Necronomicon "family". I must say I enjoy these books (a guilty pleasure, I admit). I also enjoy "The Necronomicon - The Book of Dead Names". It is edited by George Hay, but has many contributors. Unlike Simon's book, Hay's is admitted as hoax, but it really hurt the respectability of Robert Turner, who was one of the contributors.

Speaking of contributors, I think a strong case has been made for
Peter Levenda having much to do with the Simon Necronomicon. Anyway, "The Necronomicon Files" by Daniel Harms and John Wisdom Gonce was very interesting study of all the so-called necronomicons. Have any of you read it?
RaktaZoci wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:10 pm Wanderings of Alhazred by Tyson
This was, for me, a big dissapointment. I have his Necronomicon Tarot, which is somewhat interesting item for necronomicon enthusiast. I admit it is a taunting task to picture a nameless horror, so one is prepered to settle for less. For me the original illustrations that featured in The Weird Tales have a special atmosphere that would be difficult to top. But when one writes instead of draws about The Necronomicon, one is up against Lovecraft. And only one that has been able to rise to that level of namelesnessness is (at least occassinally) Kenneth Grant...
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.