What are you reading at the moment?

Discussion on literature other than by the Star of Azazel.
Smaragd

Re: What are you reading at the moment?

Post by Smaragd »

Asuradūta wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:25 pm Also started The Lord of the Rings-trilogy as bedtime reading.
Haven't read through it since I was 11 years old or so. But I got to Silmarillion audio book version some months ago. Such a world to sink in to! Got to get the book itself because I can not keep up with all the names in audio format where its hard to skip back to check who we were talking about.
"Would to God that all the Lord's people were Prophets”, Numbers 11:29 as echoed by William Blake
Asuradūta

Post by Asuradūta »

Smaragd wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:53 pm
Asuradūta wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:25 pm Also started The Lord of the Rings-trilogy as bedtime reading.
Haven't read through it since I was 11 years old or so. But I got to Silmarillion audio book version some months ago. Such a world to sink in to! Got to get the book itself because I can not keep up with all the names in audio format where its hard to skip back to check who we were talking about.
I had the Silmarillion in my teens, but it has since become misplaced. Didn't get very far into it back then and don't remember much past the description on the creation of the world, but I've come to appreciate the distant, mythological atmosphere that I've come across, for example, in youtube-videos concerning the lore laid out in the book. Would love to revisit it.
gunslinger

Post by gunslinger »

It has been a while since I visited LOTR last time and now inspired by previous messages, I think I should revisit it again. Now I have continued my "eternal project" of reading Blavatsky's The Key to Theoshophy. The beginning of the book was interesting, but when it continues to the arguing and politics it is just too dull read to me. I can manage ten or twenty pages before I have to do something else. I try to finish it this summer, but let's see how it goes. I also have Fosforos waiting for on the line and it is much more interesting to me.
Asuradūta

Post by Asuradūta »

Currently revisiting Pistis Sophia, after which I'll most likely start reading Ihmeinen by Timo Heikkilä.

And my reading of LOTR before falling asleep has advanced to The Two Towers.
Smaragd

Post by Smaragd »

I've been slowly coming back to the Secret Doctrine after a hiatus in reading proper books. My summer readings went mostly in studying painting techniques which has been fascinating, but I've felt hungry and thirsty in spirit. It is relieving to come back to books on esotericism and writing more often. Autumn brings its beneficial atmosphere for diving in to these kinds of books again.
Asuradūta wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:43 am Currently revisiting Pistis Sophia, after which I'll most likely start reading Ihmeinen by Timo Heikkilä.

And my reading of LOTR before falling asleep has advanced to The Two Towers.
Three directions I'd very much like to continue in. I even was thinking of suggesting a reading group on Pistis Sophia when I saw your message, but it is quite a hefty book, so perhaps it is not the right time for that. On the direction of Tolkien, I'm still waiting to find a place to continue Silmarillion in.
"Would to God that all the Lord's people were Prophets”, Numbers 11:29 as echoed by William Blake
SanatKumara

Post by SanatKumara »

Dion fortune: the training and work of Initiate.

I find this to be a good book, for a beginner like me. I have just started to tread the Path of serious occultism and magick, so these kind of books gives a tremendous help, in the process of understanding true occult philosophy and Work. (I used to dabble with intuitive rituals etc, for years. Which ofcourse sended me to a very deep karmic pit, and it included severe cases of hauntings, possesion of mind and spirit for couple of years, which allmost got me killed)

Next in-line, is propably Saatanan seitsemät kasvot, or DF's introduction to ritual magick. Also have two tarot books waiting, since im starting to work with them.

I have read about ten books on the subject on esotericism, since the past summer. I would like to find the book about vocalist mana mana, since Jouni's life and death has been very intresting subject for years.
My heart is Your home! O Mother! Dance in the Charnel ground of my heart which You created and turn me into a warrior of Yours!
Smaragd

Post by Smaragd »

SanatKumara wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:10 pm Dion fortune: the training and work of Initiate.

I find this to be a good book, for a beginner like me.
I've only read the Sea Priestess from her, which is a novel. Not the best novel, but it had some memorable images and moments in it for sure. I've heard good things about Fortune's Mystical Qabalah, and going to take it up for study when the time comes to have more intensified study on Kabbalah. Would like to properly familiarize myself with the concepts of Tree of Life and methods of gematry in addition to learning basic Biblical Hebrew.
SanatKumara

Post by SanatKumara »

Smaragd wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:54 am
SanatKumara wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:10 pm Dion fortune: the training and work of Initiate.

I find this to be a good book, for a beginner like me.
I've only read the Sea Priestess from her, which is a novel. Not the best novel, but it had some memorable images and moments in it for sure. I've heard good things about Fortune's Mystical Qabalah, and going to take it up for study when the time comes to have more intensified study on Kabbalah. Would like to properly familiarize myself with the concepts of Tree of Life and methods of gematry in addition to learning basic Biblical Hebrew.

I have heard those rumours about Mystical Qabalah too, and thats why it is in my "to buy" list on my next order. Also going to get "Avain Solomonin Avaimeen" and Crowleys books about Goetia.
My heart is Your home! O Mother! Dance in the Charnel ground of my heart which You created and turn me into a warrior of Yours!
Utthavat

Post by Utthavat »

Smaragd wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:31 pm I've been slowly coming back to the Secret Doctrine after a hiatus in reading proper books.

I'm also back with Secret Doctrine, I had never finished the part III cover to cover, so currently going through it with small steps.

I recently found an interesting book series about Gematria:
David Allen Hulse's "Eastern Mysteries" and "Western Mysteries", The author is breaking 13 languages and their alphabet into their their basic numerical values and cross-referencing them to each other a lot. A very interesting piece of study.
Smaragd

Post by Smaragd »

Utthavat wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:51 pm
I recently found an interesting book series about Gematria:
David Allen Hulse's "Eastern Mysteries" and "Western Mysteries", The author is breaking 13 languages and their alphabet into their their basic numerical values and cross-referencing them to each other a lot. A very interesting piece of study.
I wonder if I could find practical use for that as a tool of interpretation or if it would start to go too brittle a network of meanings. I guess some exceptions could be made to use it. Like moving a toe over a more strict bounds of attitude towards gematria. Playful mischief, I reckon!