Reading circle (A.P.Sinnett - Esoteric Buddhism)

Discussion on literature other than by the Star of Azazel.
Kenazis

Reading circle (A.P.Sinnett - Esoteric Buddhism)

Post by Kenazis »

We are starting reading circle of A.P. Sinnett's book Esoteric Buddhism. While the name is suggesting this is about buddhism, it is more like theosophical interpretation of buddhism. This book was highly influential in the early days of Theosophical Society and was one of the major books along with Blavatsky's writings.

Everybody are welcome to join this reading circle. I'll wait one week before starting to plan this in more detail. So, who's joining?
"We live for the woods and the moon and the night"
Nefastos

Re: Reading circle (A.P.Sinnett - Esoteric Buddhism)

Post by Nefastos »

Attending.

I should have an unopened extra copy somewhere here, if someone wants to borrow it. Although I bet this is already online legally somewhere like most of the other theosophical classics.

This will contain material given to Sinnett by Koot Hoomi via letters we have already talked about in some detail in The Mahatma letters reading group.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

I would love to attend, but am feeling quite swamped with the reading I have on the go. I do feel this will complement the Secret Doctrine reading circle quite nicely though, so I will follow from afar if that's alright!
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
Krepusculum

Post by Krepusculum »

Polyhymnia wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:11 pm I would love to attend, but am feeling quite swamped with the reading I have on the go. I do feel this will complement the Secret Doctrine reading circle quite nicely though, so I will follow from afar if that's alright!
Same here
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

This is really something I would've liked to be a part of, but I am really struggling with my many responsibilities as it is, and I have no way of participating before we are finnished withe the Red Book and the Satanic Feminism.
Kenazis wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:39 pm While the name is suggesting this is about buddhism, it is more like theosophical interpretation of buddhism.
I remember Blavatsky mentioning (I think I read it in the precace of the Finnish foreword to Isis Unveiled...) that the name should have been writen as Budhism, with one "d" instead of two. I think this book is not so much about Buddha-ism, but rather about Budhi-ism, that is, the centeredness on the Theosophical Budhi-principle.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Kenazis

Post by Kenazis »

obnoxion wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:01 amI remember Blavatsky mentioning (I think I read it in the precace of the Finnish foreword to Isis Unveiled...) that the name should have been writen as Budhism, with one "d" instead of two. I think this book is not so much about Buddha-ism, but rather about Budhi-ism, that is, the centeredness on the Theosophical Budhi-principle.
I just while ago read the Secret Doctrine 1 part 1 and this thing was there. Blavatsky said just like you say. And I also understood that it is more about budhi than teachings of Buddha of Buddhism.
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

I thought of that Blavatsky's statement just a few days ago. Unless it will be somehow else explained in Sinnett's own work, it seems to suggest that the author saw much more importantly the Buddhism of the theosophical masters ("Mahatmas" of the Mahatma letters) than is obvious to the present day reader, who simply takes their statements as Blavatskyan theosophy. And that would be quite understandable, for the Mahatma letters are filled with adoring references to Lord Buddha and the supreme esoterical doctrine of his, even though the vocabulary and form of statements is mostly European. So Blavatsky's explanation in the Secret Doctrine can be seen as an attempt to change the train of thought afterwords, as is customary in these regards (when an attempt is made by the masters but the scribe emphasizes aspects which might not be optimal for the sought impulse).

Book comprises of twelve chapters, of which none is extremely long. In my 7th edition from 1892 the pages go:

I. Esoteric teachers, p.1
II. The constitution of man, p.22
III. The planetary chain, p.38
IV. The world periods, p.57
V. Devachan, p.79
VI. Kama loca, p.103
VII. The human tide-wave, p.136
VIII. The progress of humanity, p.154
IX. Buddha, p.174
X. Nirvana, p.194
XI. The universe, p.205
XII. The doctrine reviewed, p.219

How about we go through these chapters one per week, Kenazis, and be ready in three months or so? Would you do the honors and start with the Esoteric teachers? Or would you rather take the Constitution of man?

Polyhymnia wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:11 pmI would love to attend, but am feeling quite swamped with the reading I have on the go. I do feel this will complement the Secret Doctrine reading circle quite nicely though, so I will follow from afar if that's alright!

That's what we thought with Kenazis, that this might help a bit with your S.D. study, even though you might not be able to attend because of its tremendous work load. For me, this is the seventh (!) reading group active right now, but all except the Bible require little actual work, so it's ok. Secret Doctrine alone would demand an effort equal to half a dozen other reading groups, I think.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Kenazis

Post by Kenazis »

Your plan sounds good, fra Nefastos. I can start, but let's wait couple of weeks. I have many things going on just now, but I will get rid of most of them in couple of weeks. Now it's week 40. If I'll post something about first chapter on week 42? Is this plan fine for you? Maybe this "extra time" summons some brave soul to join with us.
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

It's a deal. I will continue about the constitution of man (chapter II) in week 43. So anyone willing to participate in this will have time until October 27 to announce their willingness to take the chapter III, and in case none does, it will be yours.
Silvaeon

Post by Silvaeon »

Thank you for doing this, brothers! Same boat as Polyhymnia for me - happy to follow along and maybe comment here and there, but probably won't be able to take on the presenting of chapters. I'm definitely feeling overloaded with the Secret Doctrine, but whats a little more theosophy overload anyways :D. I have no doubt it will be interesting and helpful.

I should be able to track down a copy and have it delivered by the time this starts.