Lectures & Podcasts

Events, meetings and announcements.
Smaragd

Lectures & Podcasts

Post by Smaragd »

Stumbling to this lecture series on Kashmir Shaivism, I thought we could have a topic for sharing online and offline lectures, podcasts and the ideas they spring forth. I find lectures to be nice addition to reading, but there's not really critical platforms present like we have for books. For example if the lectures seem to emphasize some aspect of a tradition or a school of thought to distorted levels we can discuss it here.

Edit: 26th of August 2020, including podcasts to the topic.
"Would to God that all the Lord's people were Prophets”, Numbers 11:29 as echoed by William Blake
Heith

Re: Lectures

Post by Heith »

Smaragd wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:24 pm I find lectures to be nice addition to reading, but there's not really critical platforms present like we have for books.
This is very true. I like listening podcasts or documentaries also while I work, as my hands and eyes are occupied then but it is nice to listen to something. Sometimes that adds to my work also.
Mars

Post by Mars »

Two lectures about Blavatsky by Stephan A. Hoeller at the Theosophical Society in America. Hoeller is probably known to some of you from the site gnosis.org and The Gnostic Society/Ecclesia Gnostica.

H. P. Blavatsky: Teacher and Mystery Woman

Blavatsky and the Once and Future Gnosis
Smaragd

Post by Smaragd »

Mars wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:30 am Two lectures about Blavatsky by Stephan A. Hoeller at the Theosophical Society in America. Hoeller is probably known to some of you from the site gnosis.org and The Gnostic Society/Ecclesia Gnostica.

Thank you for sharing. I enjoyed especially the former lecture very much. Although it's not always good to give too much attention to the personas behind texts, it can help to see their work in a bit different light. Particularly when reading books of hundred years old, or more, our knowledge of the cultural context may alter our reading experience quite a lot and it may be easier to see some nuances when one understands more of the writers background and that of the cultures involved in certain historical point in time. I'm not sure how speculative it was that Blavatsky would have had some contact with Russian shamans while growing up, but that for me came as somewhat grounding thought.
"Would to God that all the Lord's people were Prophets”, Numbers 11:29 as echoed by William Blake
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

Mars wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:30 am Two lectures about Blavatsky by Stephan A. Hoeller at the Theosophical Society in America. Hoeller is probably known to some of you from the site gnosis.org and The Gnostic Society/Ecclesia Gnostica.

These are great. Thank you! Hoeller is such a pleasant character. My version of The Secret Doctrine is actually abridged by Gomes, so I'm excited to get to his lecture. While watching H.P. Blavatsky: Teacher and Mystery Woman, Hoeller talks about a lecture that Annie Besant gave in Paris in 1911 on Giordano Bruno. I was able to find a full text of it, though I think I will be buying the book for my collection if I can track it down. Here's the text for any interested parties: https://archive.org/stream/in.ernet.dli ... o_djvu.txt
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
Smaragd

Re: Lectures & Podcasts

Post by Smaragd »

I've sometimes had memories haunting me where I say on these forums something along the lines that I have no interest of contemporary occultism outside SoA. That attitude came somewhere from being disappointed to the lack of serious striving and (ironically) dualistic attitudes in various connections. I couldn't find those comments of mine anymore, to some relief I guess, but I must say I now hold quite different attitude where I see contemporary occult currents interesting as they provide another mirror where I can observe a bit larger picture of the whole contemporary occult world and where SoA and the lodges I'm part of stands there. I find it refreshing in a way and proud even. Sometimes there's hopeful sights of work and philosophy of another current that has truly some chances of making persistent connections to the universal occult bortherhood.

Over couple of years I have occasionally listened to the Thoth Hermes podcast, and this time found quite familiar and nice ideas on the latest episode. Despite being almost two hours long the podcast doesn't go terribly deep in to the subjects but good points are made. Good to hear so serious and grounded views on occultism that seems to be greatly influenced by Thelemic occultism, although not identifying with Thelema.
Soror O

Post by Soror O »

Three Jungian analysts discussing various topics in an eloquent manner: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe8QSB ... eLA/videos
If you want to reborn, let yourself die.
Smaragd

Post by Smaragd »

Ave wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:53 pm Three Jungian analysts discussing various topics in an eloquent manner: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe8QSB ... eLA/videos
Thank you for sharing!

Just happened to come by an announcement of lecture series running through out the coming November. A bit similar concept as we had here in Finland couple months ago where academic researchers give lectures on artists influenced by the occult. The lectures are open, but require registeration. I like the concept of offering such lectures during evening time from 6 to 8, in perhaps the darkest month of the year (Finland typically doesn't have snow yet, so it's darker than the months closer to the Winter solstice). There seems to be one lecture on every Tuesday in the following order:

Mirages and visions in the air: Tyra Kleen and the paradoxes of esoteric art, by Dr. Per Faxneld.

Esoteric art and literature as vehicles for change: Joséphin Péladan’s vision for a spiritual revolution, by Dr. Sasha Chaitow.

Spooky action at a distance: creative engagements of physics and psychics, 1880-​1920, by Dr. Richard Noakes.

Mediating the unseen: thinking and imagining with knots and cubes, by Dr. Mark Blacklock.

https://lit.ethz.ch/news-und-veranstalt ... e-xix.html
Kavi

Post by Kavi »

Before joining SoA I listened to few podcasts about occultism and ceremonial magick but nowadays I have lost the interest in this.
Instead I sometimes listen to different university lectures, such as Yale or Stanford universities.

I also found a youtube channel that has book reviews on different esoteric books and subjects but doesn't only lean on those subjects. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVtWVX ... ybf5bumqwg
Recently I found short podcast episode on occult and esoteric stuff in Islamic world and in contemporary Iran.
https://ajammc.com/2020/08/02/ajam-podcast-20-occult/
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

The most interesting podcast, that I know of, Lex Fridman. Advanced and theoretical sciences, metaphysics and aliens. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98HZanvAJ8Y