TWIN PEAKS

Visual arts, music, poetry and other forms of art.
RPSTOVAL

Re: TWIN PEAKS

Post by RPSTOVAL »

Lol, funny to see a Twin Peaks thread here :lol:

I was absolutely floored by season three, everything I hoped it would (I'm not the type for sappy nostalgia). Definitely one of my favorite things Lynch has done altogether, I just wish Bowie hadn't gone so soon :oops:
Chief adviser and magister templi at the Golden Apple Corps
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

RPSTOVAL wrote:Lol, funny to see a Twin Peaks thread here :lol:

I was absolutely floored by season three, everything I hoped it would (I'm not the type for sappy nostalgia). Definitely one of my favorite things Lynch has done altogether, I just wish Bowie hadn't gone so soon :oops:
And it would be the longest thread on the forum, if it was up to me....

I missed Bowie, too. The Jeffries/Judy axle has been very dear to me, and I would've liked to see more of it. And Iv really enjoyed the prominence of dark female entities in the third episode. Of all the agents in the series, I think Jeffries was/is the most "shakta".

3rd season is pure gold! And that's not an opinion - that's the objective truth!
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Heith

Post by Heith »

I have been resisting to look at this thread for ages, because I didn't finish season three yet. It's getting more and more difficult not to look every day, and today I gave in and now I try to forget all spoilers. :D
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Heith wrote:I have been resisting to look at this thread for ages, because I didn't finish season three yet. It's getting more and more difficult not to look every day, and today I gave in and now I try to forget all spoilers. :D
It would be almost impossible to spoil TP, because there is so much there in between the lines.

When you've watched the whole season, it would be nice if you could post something about it in this thread.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Heith

Post by Heith »

obnoxion wrote:
Heith wrote:I have been resisting to look at this thread for ages, because I didn't finish season three yet. It's getting more and more difficult not to look every day, and today I gave in and now I try to forget all spoilers. :D
It would be almost impossible to spoil TP, because there is so much there in between the lines.

When you've watched the whole season, it would be nice if you could post something about it in this thread.
I will! I've wanted to finish watching the season, but have been so busy it's been impossible to concentrate on TP. And this is the kind of thing which requires lots of concentration, because as you say, it moves on so many various levels.
RPSTOVAL

Post by RPSTOVAL »

I am really surprised that Lynch and Frost didn't take on Austin Spare for inspiration, considering how much Lynch (in particular) LOVES Francis Bacon's paintings.

Even though the Babylon Working is referenced in the Secret History, I think Crowley/Parsons is too overemphasized (with fan theories), when it realistically has a lesser influence than it is made out to actually have on the show.

Still though, it is introducing Thelema to an audience that may not have discovered it. Introducing it through a form of art (tv show/movie) that has such a strong aura of love throughout it's fanbase, is better than perhaps....some of the other ways people find out about the occult (in general)
RPSTOVAL

Post by RPSTOVAL »

Yeah, Twin Peaks is overloaded with Theosophical concepts - which is a more relevant connection.
Heith

Post by Heith »

RPSTOVAL wrote:Yeah, Twin Peaks is overloaded with Theosophical concepts - which is a more relevant connection.
I still haven't watched the series to the end and have to perhaps start from the third season's beginning when I do watch again as it's been so long that I forgot much details, but perhaps you can make a few examples of this kind of concepts?
RPSTOVAL

Post by RPSTOVAL »

Heith wrote:
RPSTOVAL wrote:Yeah, Twin Peaks is overloaded with Theosophical concepts - which is a more relevant connection.
I still haven't watched the series to the end and have to perhaps start from the third season's beginning when I do watch again as it's been so long that I forgot much details, but perhaps you can make a few examples of this kind of concepts?
I recently found this video, which covers several of the conceptual connections:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdytwYk6EF8

In Blavatsky's Secret Doctrine, there is a chapter (I haven't read it for a while personally) which speaks about electricity being a current between the physical/mental world to the spiritual/astrological/other dimensions, it's really fascinating.

Blavatsky was also influenced and incorporated the teachings of Buddhism and Hinduism into the Western occult context - which directly connects with how the Tibetan Book Of The Dead is both a conceptual frame of the original series and a directly in-show quoted piece of knowledge (Cooper mentions it several times and quotes it when Leland dies)
RPSTOVAL

Post by RPSTOVAL »

On another note, I can definitely see how Twin Peaks is a lens, or window or even a sort of initiation, into the magical mindset. It quantifies all aspects of mystery, existence, life/death, the supernatural with the mundane, the hilarious with the serious and centers both the S2 finale and S3 itself around the concept of facing one's 'shadow self' - like within Crossing The Abyss.
Magick (of the supernatural kind) runs rampant through the Twin Peaks underground, you got the classic incantation too "Through the darkness of future's past,
the magician longs to see. One chants out between two worlds, Fire walk with me."