Musicans / audial artists

Visual arts, music, poetry and other forms of art.
Cancer

Re: Musicans / audial artists

Post by Cancer »

Polyhymnia wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:05 am I'm in a band where music is the vessel which carries a portion of my magic and ritual work. Before recording I perform rituals, and even months leading up to recording I will prepare myself spiritually. The music I create flows through me from a place higher than myself, but also from somewhere very deep inside myself. Performing it is the place I feel closest to the heart of my magical practice. Post-production my bandmate and I like to experiment with various elements as a study in the human psyche and the way it reacts to music. Sometimes we will deliberately set the tempo just slightly off, or add specific sensory triggers. Watching people react is always the most amazing experience if they are open to it. Most people aren't aware of the magic that goes into what we produce, and I find "unsettling" is the most common adjective used after listening to our music. There's usually a visual element (photo or video) to accompany a track, and I find that the meshing of visual with audio heightens the ritualistic nature of the piece.
I'm quite nervous to share, but here's a little sampling and I hope you enjoy :)

This is our version of the traditional song O Death (also known as Conversations with Death):

https://poewinters.bandcamp.com/album/o-death

There's a shorter version and a longer, more minimalistic version.

And this is a link to our video for our song Ninth Circle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw8tBT_n0Eo

I'm piano/synth/vocals in this project, though I also play a little guitar, ukulele, and bass.
The forum has introduced me to so much underappreciated art, most lately your music - thank you for sharing! I guess I wasn't very active at the time of your post and missed it originally, but I'm glad I found it now. The videos immediately caught my eye, as I've for some time had a vague idea of shooting nude photography in places like uninhabited houses, natural sites that seem to have a "presence" ("haltia" in Finnish) - where ever one can really feel the ghosts and daemons on ones bare skin. The sudden off-tempo movements were lovely and indeed unsettling - they made me think of Sopor Aeternus' aesthetics, particularly the old-timey low-framerate filming techniques she sometimes uses in her videos. The negative picture flashing in sync with the single high piano note at the end of "O Death" was a great finishing touch, really underlining the work that has gone into the visuals. Even the glitch art-like rendering of the song's name on Youtube seemed very thought-out and contributed to the overall atmosphere.

I hope I'm not directing my attention at inconsequential details here - those kinds of things just stick out to my neurotic, perfectionist mindset. The music itself I can't say very much about, being totally inept musically. I liked it, a lot - it made me want to dance - but, as usual, I lack ways to interestingly articulate why.

Also, you have a wonderful voice (if I understand correctly that it's you singing). Ave already accurately described it; I guess I'll just underline what she wrote.
Tiden läker inga sår.
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

Thank you very much, Ave and Cancer, for the very kind words. It's always so heartwarming and humbling to hear someone has enjoyed the audial emanations of my spirit.
Cancer wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:57 pm The forum has introduced me to so much underappreciated art, most lately your music - thank you for sharing! I guess I wasn't very active at the time of your post and missed it originally, but I'm glad I found it now. The videos immediately caught my eye, as I've for some time had a vague idea of shooting nude photography in places like uninhabited houses, natural sites that seem to have a "presence" ("haltia" in Finnish) - where ever one can really feel the ghosts and daemons on ones bare skin. The sudden off-tempo movements were lovely and indeed unsettling - they made me think of Sopor Aeternus' aesthetics, particularly the old-timey low-framerate filming techniques she sometimes uses in her videos. The negative picture flashing in sync with the single high piano note at the end of "O Death" was a great finishing touch, really underlining the work that has gone into the visuals. Even the glitch art-like rendering of the song's name on Youtube seemed very thought-out and contributed to the overall atmosphere.

I hope I'm not directing my attention at inconsequential details here - those kinds of things just stick out to my neurotic, perfectionist mindset. The music itself I can't say very much about, being totally inept musically. I liked it, a lot - it made me want to dance - but, as usual, I lack ways to interestingly articulate why.

Also, you have a wonderful voice (if I understand correctly that it's you singing). Ave already accurately described it; I guess I'll just underline what she wrote.
Sopor Aeternus has somehow missed my radar entirely, though I really enjoy dark wave. I'll have to delve deeper, so thank you for introducing me to something new. I'm delighted that you picked up on those subtleties in the videos. I would very much like to see your photos if you ever get around to shooting them! I love that aesthetic you describe and do much of my work nude and ghostly as well.
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
Tulihenki

Post by Tulihenki »

Polyhymnia wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:04 pm
Tulihenki wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:03 pm https://soundcloud.com/user-907180557/black-hole11

Made a new one.

Currently quite easy to do these dark areas while I feel happy actually.
I enjoyed this very much! Like peering into a void. Marvellous! Thank you for sharing!

I also just made my way through a good portion of your Soundcloud. Dreamingthewaves is very beautiful.
I like how my voice started to whistle in the end of the Black Hole. Cool things can happen when just improvising. I cannot purposely do that.

But thank you! :)

If you happen to listen my latest it is a very different beast than previous ones. :lol:

Currently I just put everything to that same profile.