Harry Potter / J.K.Rowling

Discussion on literature other than by the Star of Azazel.
Heith

Harry Potter / J.K.Rowling

Post by Heith »

WARNING: SPOILER ALERTS IN THIS THREAD

I was wondering how people feel about the Harry Potter books? I know some friends of mine into occultism who dislike them, but for me, they are a great example of a well studied and written story. Rowling certainly has read about occult subjects, and the history of it. I like how she introduces heavy subjects in a light way, and as the books progress the story actually gets quite dark.

So have you read the Potter books? Did you like them or not? Who is your favourite character, or most relatable character? What house do you like best, or think would be yours?

I've been happily exploring Pottermore.com the last few days, and got confirmed what I always knew in my heart; the sorting placed me in Slytherin.
Sothoth

Re: Harry Potter / J.K.Rowling

Post by Sothoth »

I have read all the Potter books. My favourite is maybe The Order of the Phoenix, the fifth book. I too think there are some occult related things. The seven horcruxes remind me of seven planetary forces and there are some challenges linked to them, as in true occultism. The houses represent the four elements: fire (Gryffindor), air (Ravenclav), earth (Hufflepuff) and water (Slytherin). I would be Slytherin too, perhaps a Ravenclaw who are known for their intellectual capacity. But Slytherin has more this sexy "satanic" edge, so to speak. :) Hufflepuff is usually regarded as "boring" but it displays important virtues too, such as humbleness, patience and hard working attitude. Both are essential qualities of a magician. And Gryffindor is to be respected because of bravery and a strong will to do good.

Lord Voldemort is your archetypal downward path black magician and Harry is obviously on the ascending path. But these two characters are connected to each other, the idea I liked in the books. So it isn't naive good-evil dualism in a Disney way, but rather monistic such as in occultism. This is best manifested in the character of Severus Snape, who is nasty towards Harry in the beginning but who on the other hand makes the greatest honorable sacrifices. Severus Snape is almost a SoA -like occultist in uniting the left and right hands. He is my favourite character for this reason too. He is like Satan who is probably the best guy of them all but can't show this to people, but rather has be "a tester of souls".
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

I've only seen the movies, but I must say that I too loved the idea of The Slythering House. I generally enjoy books and movies that are suitable for children. One reason for this is that I dislike violence as a means of creating suspense in a story.

I intend to read the whole series together with my kids when they are a bit older.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Heith

Post by Heith »

Obnoxion, and everyone else planning to read the books should probably stop reading this thread now, as I'm pretty sure spoilers will be here.
Sothoth wrote: I would be Slytherin too, perhaps a Ravenclaw who are known for their intellectual capacity.
Gallop to pottermore to find out :ugeek: It's a nice site with additional information written by J.K.Rowling.
Sothoth wrote:Lord Voldemort is your archetypal downward path black magician and Harry is obviously on the ascending path. But these two characters are connected to each other, the idea I liked in the books. So it isn't naive good-evil dualism in a Disney way, but rather monistic such as in occultism. This is best manifested in the character of Severus Snape, who is nasty towards Harry in the beginning but who on the other hand makes the greatest honorable sacrifices. Severus Snape is almost a SoA -like occultist in uniting the left and right hands. He is my favourite character for this reason too. He is like Satan who is probably the best guy of them all but can't show this to people, but rather has be "a tester of souls".
Severus Snape is one of my favourite characters too, since the very beginning. I always delighted when he tormented Harry. Another favourite, whom I think everyone likes, is Albus Dumbledore. He is wonderfully bizarre. I can't quickly think of a character that I would not like, perhaps Ginny Weasley felt a bit bland to me.

I think my favourite book was the third one, Prisoner of Azkaban, but I really enjoyed the first book as well because everything was new and the sense of discovery and excitement was a wonderful feeling to experience. It is rarely that I've felt such happiness as when reading Potter books. I first began to read them when I had hurt my leg and couldn't walk so I asked my mother to bring me a book, and requested the Chamber of Secrets, as some of my friends had told me that it was really good. As it happened, I felt so gripped by that book that I began to panic when there was about fourth left and limped my way painfully and slowly to the bookstore in order to get the second book.

Rowling is a good writer, but I was bothered at how black and white the representation of the houses was sometime; Slytherin all seemed to be nasty, petty and physically unattractive, whereas in truth, Slytherin are the seeds of greatness, as Salazar Slytherin himself mused. I have also recently learned that Merlin was a Slytherin; no small feat!
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

I have read all the original books, but I must say, I did not enjoy them overmuch. (Yes, this seldom stops me from reading, once I have started something. And I liked the first books better than the latter ones.) I am quite an omnivorous reader, so the problem was not so much the light style of the writing, but, I think, mostly its morals and world-view.

All the characters were, in my opinion, selfish & shallow that made any gratifying self-identification impossible. I felt Harry unsympathetic throughout the novels, and his mentors' morals were often equally questionable. "Sometimes ends justify the means" and "At some point everyone does a bad thing; getting over it is growing up" seem to be some of the most recurring morals in the stories. All characters felt like puppets in an All-Harry-Theater, him being in a middle of everything not in a beautiful fairytale kind of a way, but in a way that felt like a power trip of a naiive adult or adolescent. Even the villains were uninspiring, dull and just plain selfish. And while there were some less & more obvious hints that Rowling does indeed know some small details about the history of magic, nothing was seen under those references; they were just trappings.

Sorry to be such a difficult reader here. Usually I really like magic fantasy escapism, which for me is like a little homecoming, or like looking at smudged postcards from dear home. Harry Potter, however, does not work for me.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Kenazis

Post by Kenazis »

I've seen the movies, but haven't read the books. I prefer high fantasy like Tolkien's books, dragonlance and forgotten realm books. from about 15 years to 24 years I read mainly those kind of books. After mainly occultism, psychology, science and philosophy. Nowadays I read about 0-3 sci-fi or fantasy book a year. I prefer "more adult" fantasy literature than Harry Potter when I choose to dive in these kind of dimensions. More adult = for example I want the main characters to be grown up.
"We live for the woods and the moon and the night"
Sothoth

Post by Sothoth »

Heith wrote:
Sothoth wrote: I would be Slytherin too, perhaps a Ravenclaw who are known for their intellectual capacity.
Gallop to pottermore to find out :ugeek: It's a nice site with additional information written by J.K.Rowling.
Made this "sorting" on that site, and it seems I got Ravenclav! We still need to find at least one Gryffindor and one Hufflepuff. :)

I understand points by Nefastos and Kenazis too concerning HP, but sometimes it's refreshing to read "lighter" and more naive stuff, in my humble opinion.
Yinlong

Post by Yinlong »

I took the sorting hat quiz too - to my surprise - I got Gryffindor! I was so sure it would be either Slytherin or Ravenclaw... Well, perhaps the sorting hat (web algorithm) knows the best :D

What comes to the series, I was also a bit disappointed that the characters didn't develop any deeper qualities, which is why the world is a bit naive or black and white to my taste. Anyways, the books are definitely very entertaining and I just concentrated on other qualities of HP universe - I admit it has very fascinating details and lore still. I originally started reading them because otherwise I wouldn't have understood half that my younger sisters were talking about... Out of the characters, I always liked Sirius Black - and if I were a student at Hogwarts I probably would have a crush on Luna Lovegood.
Quaerendo Invenietis - Na dìomhcuimhnich a-chaoidh - Feuer frei!
Invitus

Post by Invitus »

Do we have a thread for "magic fantasy escapism"? Because thats one of my favourite pastimes.

Liked the books and movies when younger, should probably re-read.
Pottermore: Ravenclaw.
"And so he who looks down at his feet will not know the truth, but he who discerns by the sun which way to go." -Tolstoi
Heith

Post by Heith »

Our first Hufflepuff gets a hug from me :D