Good books on occultism for beginners

Discussion on literature other than by the Star of Azazel.
Darksoul2021

Re: Good books on occultism for beginners

Post by Darksoul2021 »

I´ve read the cathechism of lucifer several times still reading the fosforos since it will take time to absorb the knowledge within this book. If you would rush it you would wind up missing importand messages the argarizim still going buy it only the moments can be difficult.
The secret of the ages would come as required since the book is collection and explenation of more then one subject
This would give the reader insight upon what they want to learn about
Smaragd

Post by Smaragd »

Darksoul2021 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:06 pm If you would rush it you would wind up missing importand messages the argarizim still going buy it only the moments can be difficult.
This has been also my way to read books. I guess it comes down to the temperament of a hardcore daydreamer. The topics of the books create so intense currents in my mind that I have to follow them to find a living understanding of what the author has written. If I do not follow these currents consciously, I will end up reading the text without understanding a single world because my mind is blindly following the previous train of thought that came from a previous part. And the worst part is that those trains of thought have deteriorated to rather random associations if I have ignored them by continuing to read. Thus it is important to find patience to stop at the parts of the book that require to do so, and try to find balance in following the thoughts and being critical towards the directions my associations go.

Darksoul2021 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:06 pmThe secret of the ages would come as required since the book is collection and explenation of more then one subject
This would give the reader insight upon what they want to learn about
I am not familiar with this book, but I agree that it is crucial to try and gain a view of the bigger picture. Without context we are lost and doomed to remain blind and ignorant.
"Would to God that all the Lord's people were Prophets”, Numbers 11:29 as echoed by William Blake
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

Darksoul2021 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:06 pm The secret of the ages would come as required since the book is collection and explenation of more then one subject
I'm guessing that's Manly P. Hall's "Secret Teachings of All the Ages". I started reading that a while ago, but the felt like I've already read a bunch of books that cover broadly all the interesting esoteric subjects. It good though, and maybe I'll give it another go.

Eliphas Levi's "History of Magic" is a classic, that I'll read again.
Erlander

Post by Erlander »

Besides SOA material I would suggest either Condensed Chaos or Liber Null and Psychonaut if have any passing interest in magic or want a better understanding of occultism post-Parson's Babalon Working (which in my opinion is an inflection point and marked the end of the reign of ceremonial magic that began with the Order of the Golden Dawn).
Smaragd

Post by Smaragd »

Erlander wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:36 am Besides SOA material I would suggest either Condensed Chaos or Liber Null and Psychonaut if have any passing interest in magic or want a better understanding of occultism post-Parson's Babalon Working (which in my opinion is an inflection point and marked the end of the reign of ceremonial magic that began with the Order of the Golden Dawn).
Retrospectively one could argue these currents of chaos magic and Parsons Babalon Working, ending the reign of ceremonial magic, were the result of the general influence of the secularized world (carrying the seed of nihilism) imprinted on some magical traditions. Parsons was arguably very much attached to the secular world by his professional drive. What creates a very interesting point of view to this discussion is to what extent this secularization of the culture at large could have been and is a step in spiritual evolution, when we overcome the nihilistic shadow of secularization? In a recent Lucifer lodge meeting, which I happened to attend as a visitor, Nefastos shortly mentioned the idea of Saturn no longer being the furthest point we know due to the scientific leaps the human kind has taken, resulting in somewhat differently positioned state of mind to the power or an archetype, which Saturn has symbolically represented. How to consciously make the most out of this new position to the old problem? How to bring these steps, going seemingly towards different directions, to walk the one Path? Many questions arise from this point.

Edit: typo.
"Would to God that all the Lord's people were Prophets”, Numbers 11:29 as echoed by William Blake
Erlander

Post by Erlander »

Smaragd wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:32 pm
Erlander wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:36 am Besides SOA material I would suggest either Condensed Chaos or Liber Null and Psychonaut if have any passing interest in magic or want a better understanding of occultism post-Parson's Babalon Working (which in my opinion is an inflection point and marked the end of the reign of ceremonial magic that began with the Order of the Golden Dawn).
Retrospectively one could argue these currents of chaos magic and Parsons Babalon Working, ending the reign of ceremonial magic, were the result of the general influence of the secularized world (carrying the seed of nihilism) imprinted on some magical traditions. Parsons was arguably very much attached to the secular world by his professional drive. What creates a very interesting point of view to this discussion is to what extent this secularization of the culture at large could have been and is a step in spiritual evolution, when we overcome the nihilistic shadow of secularization? In a recent Lucifer lodge meeting, which I happened to attend as a visitor, Nefastos shortly mentioned the idea of Saturn no longer being the furthest point we know due to the scientific leaps the human kind has taken, resulting in somewhat differently positioned state of mind to the power or an archetype, which Saturn has symbolically represented. How to consciously make the most out of this new position to the old problem? How to bring these steps, going seemingly towards different directions, to walk the one Path? Many questions arise from this point.

Edit: typo.
The idea of newly found celestial objects in astrology impacting an age or people in a unique way shortly after their discovery is something discussed often in astrological circles. I would point to John Michael Greer's book on Pluto as an in-depth review of the subject. At least in my view the Babalon working while generally, a failure did open a spiritual current that led to the 60s and the easing of norms that followed in the following decades. The solution to new problems is the rediscovery and reinterpretation of old ideas.
Smaragd

Post by Smaragd »

Erlander wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:07 am The solution to new problems is the rediscovery and reinterpretation of old ideas.
Although the planetary symbolism is valid, rich and keeps giving, I do feel quite alot of ease when given the task to try and reach the meaning of these spirits beyond the heavy apparitions of dust and gas, or planetary mythologies that could seem nearly dead to one's cababilities of interpretation or dead on the first steps of the process of integrating the new world to the old. Ofcourse there's alot of wisdom and steps to be overlooked in such leaps to the new world, which could be even seen as a central problem of our age where such an amount of information is readily available to people. The temptation to pick the cherries from the cake is great, and doing the ground work is easily left aside.
Nebenkheperu

Post by Nebenkheperu »

I won't repeat the many classics already mentioned above, but will add a few more tomes which I think are more or less in line with SoA's philosophy:

-Uncle Setnakt's Essential Guide to the Left Hand Path by Don Webb. Also by the same author: Energy Magick of the Vampyre. Note: Both of these titles are esoteric curricula for the practicing magician, but somewhat distant from SoA's approach & values.
-Grimoires: A History of Magic Books by Owen Davies. As the title implies.
-The Tarot of the Magicians by Oswald Wirth. Besides dealing with the tarot as a map/tool of spiritual advancement, also a powerhouse of late 19th century continental Theosophical, Masonic & Rosicrucian thought.
-Lords of the Left Hand Path by Stephen Flowers. A study & analysis on key spiritual/religious historical figures.
-Runelore by Edred Thorsson alias Stephen Flowers. This plus many compendiums by the same author if you're interested in esoteric Runework. Often to be read critically; author has especial tendency to represent his opinions as objective truths.
-Music, Mysticism and Magic by Joscelyn Godwin. I'd recommend books by this author in general.
-Gurdjieff Unveiled by Seymour Ginsburg. A good compact overview & introduction to Gurdjieff's occult system and thinking. Includes many practical daily excercises, too.
-Sacred Geometry by Robert Lawlor. As the title implies.
-Infernal Geometry and the Left-Hand Path by Toby Chappell. Maybe not such a beginner's book; assumes at least some familiarity with the Temple of Set's esoteric brand of Satanism plus i.a. the works of Lovecraft(!).
Ἐθεώρουν τὸν Σατανᾶν ὡς ἀστραπὴν.
"Animus risu novatur."
Nebenkheperu

Post by Nebenkheperu »

This might already be familiar to readers of the forum, but I find Theosophy - The Wisdom Religion by Editorial Board of Theosophy Trust to be quite valuable both for newbies on the topic and old hands alike. The pdf version seems to be freely available online.
"Animus risu novatur."
Nebenkheperu

Post by Nebenkheperu »

I absolutely feel that I must add this gem to my stated recommendations above, even into a largely imagined "top three books". IMO a very useful & fruitful read for the experienced magician/occultist and beginner alike:
-Living Magic by Frater U∴D∴ et al.
"Animus risu novatur."