Your favourite planetary hymn (from Fosforos)

Rituals, spells, prayer, meditation and magical acts.

Favourite planetary hymn

Hymn to the Great Mother (Moon, Monday)
17%
Hymn to the Living Vine (Mars, Tuesday)
17%
Hymn to the Messenger of the Gods (Mercury, Wednesday)
No votes
Hymn to the Lord of the Throne (Jupiter, Thursday)
17%
Hymn to the Son of Dawn (Venus, Friday)
50%
Hymn to the Master of Death (Saturn, Saturday)
No votes
Hymn to the Prince of the Countenances (Sun, Sunday)
No votes

Total votes: 6
Smaragd

Re: Your favourite planetary hymn (from Fosforos)

Post by Smaragd »

Polyhymnia wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:30 pm Is there any reading anyone could recommend to help delve a little deeper into the understanding of the celestial powers and archetypes?
I'm starting a process of creating a visual chart (I'm one of those pesky applied learners) and I'm gathering information. Wednesday is tricky for me because I don't quite understand Iocator.
I'd be happy to hear book recommendations for inspecting the celestial powers too. Ofcourse the whole literary world is filled with sharper and a bit more blurred presentations, but when it comes to Iocator the Master and Margarita depicts this jester nature of the psychopomp in a wonderful way. I'm afraid my literary knowledge is quite thin to come up anything else or less obvious for now.
"Would to God that all the Lord's people were Prophets”, Numbers 11:29 as echoed by William Blake
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Smaragd wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:37 pmbut when it comes to Iocator the Master and Margarita depicts this jester nature of the psychopomp in a wonderful way.

A great, the greatest, recommendation! Some other approaches to this archetype as it is seen in Satanist esotericism are given in Ivan Karamazov's meeting with Satan (in Brothers Karamazov 11:9), where it forms an extremely interesting complement to his another Satan figure given earlier in the same book ("Grand Inquisitor", 5:5). Also in Goethe's Faust his Mephistopheles plays much this role of Iocator, gently manipulating Faust with the aid of white and black and grey jest. (Iocator means Jester or Joker in Latin; the word's random similarity with the Sanskrit root iog- is pleasurable to notice.) Finnish readers might also want to take a look onto my article "Satan: Trickster aspect" in Hylätty Kivi #4. It will soon be re-published in Finnish in a collection of Satan archetype articles.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

Smaragd wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:37 pm but when it comes to Iocator the Master and Margarita depicts this jester nature of the psychopomp in a wonderful way.
Well this is really interesting because about six months ago an acquaintance of mine came up to me at an event we were at and out of the blue gave me a book recommendation that just happened to be this book. I paid it no mind at the time, but looks like I'll be paying it a little more attention now and visiting my library soon.
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
Gangleri

Post by Gangleri »

I didn't want to create a new topic so I thought this topic is suitable. In the planetary hymns there are mentioned kabbalistic / hebrew names for the intelligences and spirits of the planetary powers. Only Tuesday's hymn is missing these names. Is there some profound reason why Samael & co. are omitted?
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Gangleri wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:07 pmI didn't want to create a new topic so I thought this topic is suitable. In the planetary hymns there are mentioned kabbalistic / hebrew names for the intelligences and spirits of the planetary powers. Only Tuesday's hymn is missing these names. Is there some profound reason why Samael & co. are omitted?

Your question has actually been answered earlier in this same discussion, September 2 2019.

I reattached the poll that had been destroyed in some forum renovation.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Gangleri

Post by Gangleri »

Nefastos wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:47 am
Gangleri wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:07 pmI didn't want to create a new topic so I thought this topic is suitable. In the planetary hymns there are mentioned kabbalistic / hebrew names for the intelligences and spirits of the planetary powers. Only Tuesday's hymn is missing these names. Is there some profound reason why Samael & co. are omitted?

Your question has actually been answered earlier in this same discussion, September 2 2019.
Oh, so it was! Thanks for pointing out that interesting discussion.

My favorite celestial hymn is most certainly the Friday hymn for Lucifer.