What are you listening to at the moment?

Visual arts, music, poetry and other forms of art.
Heith

What are you listening to at the moment?

Post by Heith »

I've been listening to Midnight Odyssey's "Shards of Silver Fade" again after a few months. I really like this album, and the lyrics as well.
RaktaZoci

Re: What are you listening to at the moment?

Post by RaktaZoci »

Current 93 - Of Ruine or Some Blazing Starre has appeared many times on the turntable of late.
die Eule der Minerva beginnt erst mit der einbrechenden Dämmerung ihren Flug.
-Hegel
Jiva

Post by Jiva »

Midnight Odyssey are simply fantastic. I’ve recently been listening to the three-way split he did with himself (Midnight Odyssey/Tempestuous Fall/The Crevices Below) and think it’s the best thing he’s done. A lot of the lyrics are taken from Greek classics, so the tone is slightly more human, in contrast to the desolate outer-space feel of his two full length albums. It’s still recognisably the same band though.

At the moment I’m basically listening to ‘occult’ heavy metal with influences from various darker genres, e.g. Magister Templi (doomy heavy metal, kind of like faster Reverend Bizarre stuff), Inconcessus Lux Lucis (black heavy metal, a mix of Destroyer 666 and later Watain). There’s something I’ve always liked about a boneheaded heavy metal approach that’s perfect for air guitar and headbanging, but with decent/interesting lyrics. In other words, they don’t take themselves so seriously that they’re forbidden from enjoying what they’re doing.

My listening tastes mostly follow this cycle: folk/krautrock/psychedelia, punk/psychobilly, this sort of stuff, more obscure metal, and then back again.
'Oh Krishna, restless and overpowering, this mind is overwhelmingly strong; I think we might as easily gain control over the wind as over this.'
Heith

Post by Heith »

Thanks Jiva for the recommendation, I've to check out that split.

I haven't listened to these other two either, but notice that Inconcessus Lux Lucis is released via I, Voidhanger, a generally good label. Currently on very bad speakers where I'm at, but this sounds interesting.

To state the obvious to those who know me, lately I've been listening to Bruce Dickinson and Iron Maiden. I'm trying to learn some Maiden on the guitar but heck, it's not going so well. But then again I only started the other day and it's maybe the fifth time ever I pick up a guitar. I guess I should choose something more beginner friendly...!

Yesterday I listened to Lunar Mantra.
Kenazis

Post by Kenazis »

I'm mostly listening myself playing and practising my own material. Nowadays I very rarely listen music in my home. When I listen music it is either in weekends with friend or when I'm walking outside. Evening walking music has mainly being records of Svartsyn lately. There's just something in that band, that gives me the same black metal feeling that those early 90's bm records gave when I was teenager (I didn't listen Svartsyn back then).
"We live for the woods and the moon and the night"
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

I seldom get a chance to listen to music, but when I do, it is nowdays often some sort of traditional music from the Orient in a very broad scale - that is, anything from Persia to Japan. I know next to nothing about the histories or theories behind these traditional pieces, but that has not prevented me from enjoying them immensely.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Heith

Post by Heith »

obnoxion wrote:I seldom get a chance to listen to music, but when I do, it is nowdays often some sort of traditional music from the Orient in a very broad scale - that is, anything from Persia to Japan. I know next to nothing about the histories or theories behind these traditional pieces, but that has not prevented me from enjoying them immensely.
Could you recommend something? I like this kind of music, but trying to search for it on youtube is pretty much hit / miss.
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Well I too just search the YouTube and see what comes up. And it does not have to be anything special. It is enough for me to hear the rythms and sounds that connect me the my inner, psychic Orient. I bet most of the stuff I enjoy is pretty banal to the experts. I enjoy minimalism and repetition, and that sort of thing is not so hard to find.

But I know there is some suberb stuff. Mongolian throat singig, for example. And last year I saw a documentary of a famous jazz drummer who went to study shamanic music in Korea. I think one can still see it at Yle Areena. Those rythms are literaly out of this world. The jazz guy was like a child with his first drum set.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

During the last few weeks I have found not one but two new artists that I've enjoyded very much.
And I don't no what are the odds, but both artist happen to be schizophrenics.

Roky Erickson is the absoute perfection of occult rock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4-RuB2485s

Wesley Willis is actually better than Pertti Kurikan Nimipäivät, which is saying a lot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYr6u-VXodk
Sothoth

Post by Sothoth »

At the moment I'm listening the Impaled Nazarene / Beherit gig. The true blasphemous black metal spirit of 90s!
obnoxion wrote:Roky Erickson is the absoute perfection of occult rock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4-RuB2485s
By the way, Rocky Erickson is performing in Tavastia, Helsinki next month:

https://www.tiketti.fi/Roky-Erickson-US ... puja/37923
obnoxion wrote:Wesley Willis is actually better than Pertti Kurikan Nimipäivät, which is saying a lot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYr6u-VXodk
:D