What are you listening to at the moment?

Visual arts, music, poetry and other forms of art.
Seferoth

Re: What are you listening to at the moment?

Post by Seferoth »

Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

Some very nice recommendations in here I'm very much looking forward to checking out once my mental state allows.
Right now I can only manage the sweet, soothing sounds of Jay Munly. Either solo, with his Lee Lewis Harlots, or his Lupercalians.

Goose Walking Over my Grave
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
Nahumatarah

Post by Nahumatarah »

Merzbow - Nezumimochi (Cold Spring, 2014)

Merzbow requires no introduction. This album is probably one of the easiest to get into out of all his efforts, at least in my opinion that is. Tracks are mainly composed of smooth modular synth arpeggios that create a playful rhythmic background on top of which Mr. Akita layers his kaleidoscopic, freeform noises. Mood on the album is less dark than it is on for example his landmark album Pulse Demon. Production wise the album sounds clear, analogue and well mastered. My personal favorite is track #3. It's title is a reference to Tamatsubaki Kentarō, the shortest wrestler in sumo history.

This album helped renew my lost interest in the works of Merzbow, back in the day when it was released. If music tends to evoke visions in your mind's eye, like it does for me, this album comes highly recommended.

Favorite track(s): Tamatsubaki , RAT
"The time has come to turn your heart into a temple of fire."

- Jalāl ad-Dīn Mohammad Rūmī
Nahumatarah

Post by Nahumatarah »

Azzazin (Staalplaat, 1996) is very different from what we are used to hearing from Muslimgauze. Very abstract and minimal record, mainly composed of drones, electronic noises and kaleidoscopic buzzes. Percussions and Arabic influences are surprisingly almost absent on this album. Falls mainly into genres of noise and glitch music. Many opportunities here for a DJ with creativity. Dark, hypnotic and repetitive. Nice dynamic range.

Benemal

Post by Benemal »

Seems there's more people around now, who have similar musical interests as me. That's nice.
Nahumatarah wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:06 pmBoris
So how about those collabs with Masami The Great? My favorite is Sun Baked Snow Cave.

I can go on and on about music, but I've been holding back a lot, to avoid crowding the forum. Still gonna hold back some, but other nerds here makes it more difficult.
Nahumatarah

Post by Nahumatarah »

Benemal wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:27 pm
So how about those collabs with Masami The Great? My favorite is Sun Baked Snow Cave.

I can go on and on about music, but I've been holding back a lot, to avoid crowding the forum. Still gonna hold back some, but other nerds here makes it more difficult.

Great pick. I love all of these collabs for sure. I think they are some the best works of both Boris, and Merzbow, respectively. I really liked their latest effort too.

I know I'm unbearable. People say I lack that so called filter in my head that some people claim to have which helps them regulate their output. Or maybe I'm just twisting the wrong knob, mistaking a resonator for a filter cut off. I tried to cast a wider net with those less "difficult" (i know, stupid choice of a word, sorry) Boris LP:s in hopes of attracting wider interest than just us nerds, but I guess it's straight to the deep end then.

Now playing:

Sink - Justice (From Holy Testament 1, Svart Records, 2011)

EDIT: grammar

RaktaZoci

Post by RaktaZoci »

Erik Satie - Once upon a time in Paris
die Eule der Minerva beginnt erst mit der einbrechenden Dämmerung ihren Flug.
-Hegel
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

Nahumatarah wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:49 pm I tried to cast a wider net with those less "difficult
I imagine Heavy Rocks and Akuma No Uta, are pretty accessible. Saw then live in Turku. Sadly, they weren't good. Hung over I think.

Almost ironically, you drop Sink next. Very familiar and close.

So much restraint is taking place. I want to talk about twenty other bands from Japan, but that's all for now.
Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Anthem of Rome-Inno , i just love how powerful and majestic this sounds. Roma Aeterna!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-l28xS ... rt_radio=1
Nahumatarah

Post by Nahumatarah »

Benemal wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:23 pmI imagine Heavy Rocks and Akuma No Uta, are pretty accessible. Saw then live in Turku. Sadly, they weren't good. Hung over I think.
Huh that's a shame. I would have guessed that they nailed it since they're on tour so often and record live a lot. I guess everyone has bad days. Those albums sure made an impression on me. Heavy Rocks 2 has some ballady stadium rock moments that really tickle my sentimental side.

Black Rain - Now I'm Just A Number: Soundtracks 1994-95 (Blackest Ever Black, 2012) gets a spin from me regularly during these darkening winter days. The title track is a nice introduction.Percussive & dark with danceable moments.