Austin Osman Spare

Visual arts, music, poetry and other forms of art.
obnoxion

Re: Austin Osman Spare

Post by obnoxion »

My interest in AOS has recently been rekindled. This new interest has much to do with Spare's Tarot deck that I have discovered. Is anyone familiar with this deck?
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

I don't know about the deck, but will try to find it online. I recently became interested in Spare's work, from reading Kenneth Grant (also my interest in Crowley was reawakened). There were Spare's drawings in the book, and they were a lot better, than the others present.
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

There is book "Lost Envoy - The Tarot Deck of Austin Osman Spare" which has colour illustrations of all the cards. I've been also reading Phil Baker's biography of AOS, which has been highly readable.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Smaragd

Post by Smaragd »

I started reading Lost Envoy when it was published, though I haven't opened the book for a year or so. Might go back soon since the tarot practice under Stone has helped forming personal relation to the cards in general, allowing outside perspectives and different decks appear more interesting.
"Would to God that all the Lord's people were Prophets”, Numbers 11:29 as echoed by William Blake
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

As I've been flipping through the pictures, two of them at least seem to take liberties from the more traditional models. First, Death is not skeletal. He is thin but has a muscular flesh. His face is somewhat zombiesque and he has a full head of hair.

In the Star the woman is standing with het both feet in the river. Instead of the two pitchers, milk is flowing from her two breasts. Her left hand hangs visible by her side, and her right hand is bent backwards and hidden behind her head. These innovations are peculiar especially because the "sister card" - Temperance - is quite traditional.