Devotional art you'd like to have

Visual arts, music, poetry and other forms of art.
Nefastos

Devotional art you'd like to have

Post by Nefastos »

Not all of us are artists, much less artists in all the possible fields. Yet most of us would enjoy having some pieces of art with which to focus our spiritual devotion. Perhaps music composed to ritual use, perhaps a painting or an icon, a sculpture or some special jewelry usable in magic.

Personally I've had luck in having around me people who can manage things I personally can't, e.g. my ex-wife was an artisan with the aid of whom I acquired some unique equipment for ceremonial magic. The brotherhood also has many great artists who are creating some outstanding artefacts for the members & art for the publications.

But we're still missing the vaulted chapel with beautiful Luciferian sculptures & stained glass windows. :) All in good time, I suppose.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
wayfareangel

Re: Devotional art you'd like to have

Post by wayfareangel »

Personally, I would kill for a print of The Triptych of the Temptation of St. Anthony. Here's a link to the Wiki page for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triptych_o ... t._Anthony

This painting, oh my gods! I just adore it. Bosch put so much thought into all of it, and it depicts such a variety of acts, and meanings, and...

I could examine this painting each day as a devotion.

I wish I could find some decent spiritual music. Or music that feels spiritual to me. I think the closest I've come is Chopin's nocturnes.

I do have one thing, though, which I consider to be a beautiful piece of spiritual art. Years ago my grandmother gave me a statuette: A replica of The Kiss, by Rodan. I always thought it was a beautiful symbol of love and oneness.

And while I'm talkin about Rodan, OMG! Have you guys seen The Gates of Hell? DANG but that thing is beautiful
Time for one more daring dream.
Circaeon

Post by Circaeon »

~ Swedish abstract painter and theosopher Hilma af Klint – One must admire her fabolus ability to channel certain spiritual transmissions and exteriorize them into visual concepts.

~ German romantic painter Caspar David Friedrich – Metaphysically imbued and allegorical brilliance which captures the esoterical Spiritus mundi in a perplex manner.

~ Swedish coeval painter Fredrik Söderberg – I am in truth open to the proposition that he could very well be the reincarnation of the previously mentioned Hilma af Klint.

~ Swiss symbolist painter Arnold BöcklinDie Toteninsel and Heiliger Hain, what else is there to say?

~ German illustrator and painter Hugo Höppener AKA Fidus – Fantastic abstractions and mystical themes, often imbued with subtle eroticism or plain – beautiful, natural and non-semifreudian – nudity.
Heith

Post by Heith »

Circaeon wrote:
~ Swedish abstract painter and theosopher Hilma af Klint – One must admire her fabolus ability to channel certain spiritual transmissions and exteriorize them into visual concepts.
Good choices! I had the pleasure of seeing many of af Klint's original works, and while I generally am not a huge friend of abstract art, I found them to be moving.
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Circaeon wrote:~ German romantic painter Caspar David Friedrich – Metaphysically imbued and allegorical brilliance which captures the esoterical Spiritus mundi in a perplex manner.
I am fascinated with Caspar David Friedrich! I am actually reading an awesome book by Joseph Leo Koerner, called "Caspar David Friedrich and The Subject of landscape", which I highly recommend to all art lovers. It will change the way one looks at landscapes forever.

I also love Arnold Böclin. But I had never hear of Hilma af Klint before. She is a very interesting artist, and I am going to buy a book about her art at the end of the month. Thank you so much for introducing me to all these new artists!

When it comes to devotional art I would like to have, I think I would remain ecstatic for the rest of my life if I could secure some religious piece by Caravaggio, and a heavy Baroque sanctuary to go with it...
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Circaeon

Post by Circaeon »

[quote="obnoxion"][quote="Circaeon"]~ German romantic painter Caspar David Friedrich – Metaphysically imbued and allegorical brilliance which captures the esoterical Spiritus mundi in a perplex manner.[/quote]

I am fascinated with Caspar David Friedrich! I am actually reading an awesome book by Joseph Leo Koerner, called "Caspar David Friedrich and The Subject of landscape", which I highly recommend to all art lovers. It will change the way one looks at landscapes forever.

I also love Arnold Böclin. But I had never hear of Hilma af Klint before. She is a very interesting artist, and I am going to buy a book about her art at the end of the month. Thank you so much for introducing me to all these new artists!

When it comes to devotional art I would like to have, I think I would remain ecstatic for the rest of my life if I could secure some religious piece by Caravaggio, and a heavy Baroque sanctuary to go with it...[/quote]

I was not aware of this book. I thus direct me humble thanks for the illumination on its existence. I will purchase it at once! =)

Ah, Caravaggio. I should have mentioned him. I love his work - especially his piece on Medusa. Such depth.