Tolkien and Lord of the Rings

Discussion on literature other than by the Star of Azazel.
Kenazis

Re: Tolkien and Lord of the Rings

Post by Kenazis »

Benemal wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:46 am
Kenazis wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:15 pm I like Star Trek Discovery
You'll like hell, then. It'll be on repeat there, always, until the end of time. The demiurge AI can also create new seasons, to infinity. The entertainment will never end.
What exactly is so bad in Discovery?
Benemal wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:46 am Ralph Bakshi did two pretty great fantasy animations. Wizards (1977) and Fire & Ice (1983). Those are both better, than the LoTR one (not that it's bad either). Wizards is set a million years into the future. Cyborg mutants, who worship Hitler as god, and the elf and gnome wizards of the shroomy woods, are at perpetual war. Not really for kids. This is the one Smaragd saw. Fire & Ice is a sword & sorcery film, done with rotoscoping technique. Both get nerdcommended.
I have Wizard, but the other one I don't have. Must get that one. When I was young being a nerd was not cool, no I think it's one of the coolest things.
"We live for the woods and the moon and the night"
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

Kenazis wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:01 pm What exactly is so bad in Discovery?
Everything and everyone, except the alien guy. Good actor. I don't care if it improves after season one. I watched that after the initial shock, because I just started to laugh. so that made it entertaining. The recent movies were also bad. They can't do sci-fi anymore. Sci-fi requires intelligence. And is Picard as bad as the Star Trek fans are saying? Probably. I don't want to know. I'll spare myself some heartbreak.
It might interest a few people, that Gene Roddenberry was a rosicrucian. Just one of the many people, who are getting their livers posthumously eaten by vultures. Fortunately these shows are doing very poorly. I heard STD is now cancelled.
Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

I am reading the Hobbit at the moment. I have not read any of the books, but i have seen the movies(Hobbit and LotR trilogies) about 100 times at this point. I absolutely love Middle-Earth and everything in it.
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

Seferoth wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:08 am I absolutely love Middle-Earth and everything in it.
I find it incredibly difficult to not wish myself into it all the time. I could live my life quite happy as a fat little hobbit.
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Polyhymnia wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:26 am
Seferoth wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:08 am I absolutely love Middle-Earth and everything in it.
I find it incredibly difficult to not wish myself into it all the time. I could live my life quite happy as a fat little hobbit.
Same. I want to eat a dozen meals per day like hobbits. :D
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

Polyhymnia wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:26 am I find it incredibly difficult to not wish myself into it all the time.
I tried reading the trilogy again, when the book by Nefastos and Astraya was published. There's something creepy and unnatural about how black and white it is, how innocent the Hobbits are, and how evil Sauron is. I suppose it's the catholisism of Tolkien. I can't find any escapism in a book, if it's not real, meaning ordinary people are evil, and supernatural evil must also be caused by "people" (whatever they are, elfs, dwarfs). For example in Le Guin's Eartsea (three of which were probably the last fantasy books I read, because it's so difficult to find engaging fantasy, that doesn't feel like a child's attempt to dream back innocence), the supernatural antagonist is conjured up because of the ignorance and pride of the main character. But that's actually real, in this real world, me being the proud fool, who creates his own antagonists, so I suppose that's why it touched me. I wish I could go to a far way island, and kill my shadow (or assimilate it, or whatever) Funny, these books were written for "younger readers".

On the subject of epic fantasy (and maybe wanting to live there), in Neal Stephenson's Fall, Or Dodge In Hell (his most recent book), a man named Dodge gets his consciousness transferred to an empty, dark, digital after-life, where nothing exist, except his own torment. After a long time alone, he gains the ability to control this hell, and he creates an epic fantasy reality, that's then populated by other dead human's, none of whom know, that they previously were bald apes inhabiting a cynical, and nihilistic, declining civilization, or that all the still living humans outside, desperately want to join this fantasy world and forget the real world ever existed. A masterpiece.
Peregrina

Post by Peregrina »

The Silmarilion was like a bible to me when I was in my preteens. I knew by heart every single poem there was in it and also the poems of the LoTR.
I took it way too seriously though, ended up thinking how horrible it is to be human, how humiliating when there are elves who are better than humans in every way you could imagine. "Humans are like bad copies of elves", I thought and refused to think myself as a human being.
Guess it's healthy I've forgotten most of it.
Benemal wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:52 pm For example in Le Guin's Eartsea (three of which were probably the last fantasy books I read, because it's so difficult to find engaging fantasy, that doesn't feel like a child's attempt to dream back innocence), the supernatural antagonist is conjured up because of the ignorance and pride of the main character. But that's actually real, in this real world, me being the proud fool, who creates his own antagonists, so I suppose that's why it touched me. I wish I could go to a far way island, and kill my shadow (or assimilate it, or whatever) Funny, these books were written for "younger readers".
Le Guin's Earthsea was also something very dear to me when I was younger (reader). Pity I don't remember anymore why I liked the books. Suppose it means it's time to read them again.
Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

If i could choose what to be in the Middle-Earth i would like to be an adventuring Hobbit like Bilbo, or a Black Numenorean servant of Sauron. Either one of those would do.