Prayer

Rituals, spells, prayer, meditation and magical acts.
Sebomai

Prayer

Post by Sebomai »

This is not about any specific prayer, so perhaps it is in the wrong place. I'm writing to ask about people's personal prayer practice, whether as Fraters or Sorors of the Star of Azazel or on whatever other path they may be on, anything at all they may be willing to share about it.

Two examples from my life:

Every day, towards the early morning, I pray the Magister Noster from the Catechism of Lucifer. Then I read a very small section of the Catechism of Lucifer and a single chapter of Fosforos, as reflection for my day. I do any other spiritual reading outside of this time of day, and in a different place in my house. Actually, it's not even a place IN my house I do this, I do it on a stoop outside, where no one else ever really goes. I then say the Prayer to Azazel and the prayer appropriate to the day of the week from Fosforos. I do all of this as slowly and purposefully as I can possibly make my ordinarily racing mind go.

The other example is my form of "grace." It is not to bless some supposedly unclean food, nor is it a bowing and scraping thank you to Satan for granting me food for the day. It does, however, sanctify the eating process in its own way. I very deliberately take a moment before eating and think to myself that I am eating this food for the sake of keeping my body strong and my mind sharp for the Great Work. This also has the benefit, aside from keeping my mind on my goals, of making the humblest and most distasteful meal much more bearable, and keeping me from getting too heady and intoxicated over the tastiest meals, to the point that I verge on gluttony. As I know I see it, and probably many of the rest of you as well, gluttony I would not call mere overeating, or even habitual overeating, but the unwarranted and excessive craving or desire for "things." I don't even necessarily think that gluttony is confined to sensory objects. There can very easily, in my experience be gluttony for emotional, intellectual, and spiritual objects. I have personally lusted after being in love for the sake of being in love, knowing something purely for the sake of knowing it, even if it was a distraction from more important things in my life, and chasing after spiritual attainments, not because I wanted to have the pride of being more spiritual than someone else, but simply because I wanted to experience what those spiritual attainments were like. I consider these all supra-sensory aspects of gluttony.

That second form of "prayer,"I don't recall, but I believe I stole it whole cloth from Crowley. As we've discussed on another thread, a bit, there were some real gems amidst his buffoonery, obfuscation, and occasional plain old lies.

So, what examples of prayer are any of you comfortable sharing?
Nefastos

Re: Prayer

Post by Nefastos »

Those are both beautiful & beneficial practices, in my opinion. Sounds like you are really living true the Stone aspect virtues, even while belonging to another aspect. That is great.

Personally I use the Fosforos working (no surprise there) with two daily Azazel's prayers & the changing Celestial Hymns, & the Garment of Seven Blessings for the times of the full moon, plus different formulae at the eight feast days of the year. If I have time with my daily prayers, I go through the rosary with each bead focusing the prayer to a certain different object, or if I do not, I just make five bows with mental blessings to represent those five different areas I pray for. Others in top of that are likely to be related to some specific spirit working concerning myself, more often than not with goetic spirits; so they are not so much prayers as conjurations. Although the line between could be seen vague anyhow, since I use prayers more like magic (as much practical as devotional).

Oh, and one daily used practice what I'd call prayer is mantric work. It too is woven into the Azazel's rosary working. I usually use the three word mantra that changes about once in a year or so.

By the way, if someone's skeptical considering the benefits of the prayer work, I suggest taking up the physical heart as the center of prayer meditation. Focusing one's thought in it is likely to bring results quickly. But because it's easy to overdo the emotional side that way, it might be a wise thing to move from the physical heart to the spot in the middle of one's chest when the "spark" has been found.

Alocer wrote:As we've discussed on another thread, a bit, there were some real gems amidst his buffoonery, obfuscation, and occasional plain old lies.

Indeed there is, and that sack of gems is a hefty one. I am glad there are many brethren in the Star of Azazel who can appreciate Crowley more than I, who have a personal problem with him.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Fomalhaut

Post by Fomalhaut »

Nefastos wrote:Those are both beautiful & beneficial practices, in my opinion. Sounds like you are really living true the Stone aspect virtues, even while belonging to another aspect. That is great.

I totally agree about this with you!

I, myself say every night Prayer to Azazel in my house or in solitary places nearby my house. After a moment of thinking and concentration, I always do the corresponding daily prayer. I always think and try to understand the meaning of the corresponding daily prayer for me while doing and after doing the prayer. I also do the changing Celestial Hymns.
"I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become."
— C.G. Jung
Jiva

Post by Jiva »

I'm not sure whether this constitutes as prayer – I don't really consider it to be – but there seem to be similarities at least.

I've basically started to read the SOA prayers most mornings as I find they help a lot in focussing my day. Additionally, I've also been reading short prayers and pieces of mythology e.g. from the Dhammapada, Upanishads, Havamal etc. and also philosophical aphorisms from people such as Nietzsche and Wittgenstein. I haven't made any conscious decision to align these with the corresponding principles, although it's something I'm considering as it's a cycle I like.

Without making any conscious decision to do so, most of the time I softly speak the words. It's only in the last week that I've noticed that I speak with a more “correct” accent, rather than with my local accent. Other times I read the passages as quickly as possible in my head, letting the words wash over me rather than making any attempt to understand or analyse what I'm reading.
'Oh Krishna, restless and overpowering, this mind is overwhelmingly strong; I think we might as easily gain control over the wind as over this.'
Heith

Post by Heith »

I consider my artistic work as my prayer. Or like a mixture between meditative work and a prayer. Sometimes I don't see the difference between the two. I don't know if there is one. Meditative work can exist without prayer, but I don't know if prayer can exist without meditative work.

I rarely set out to pray in a way that I clear a space for this, sit down, etc. A prayer, or praise, often comes to me spontaneously- if I see a beautiful cloud formation, or the wind feels peculiar. Or when I tend plants. Or get a spectacular mug of tea. It's pretty small things. My prayer is often just expressing my gratitude for something- food, or natural phenomenon.

But when I do sit down, I often do ritual work with this. So I don't know if this technically counts as prayer or ritual. But this is too personal, so I can't write a lot about it. :)

But, this topic is a nice synchronicity with something that I'm currently doing with my runic group.
Tulihenki

Post by Tulihenki »

I remember that my first religious act was a prayer. I was 16 years old and my friend was very drunk and suicidal. I was so angry to him and shouted that if he's going to make a suicide I'm going through fires of Hell with him, not even understanding why I said those kinds of words. Then I was mentally praying and making crosses while my friend was absolutely wasted and couldn't even see what I was doing. Next day he didn't remember anything and I was silent about everything. That night never happened again.

Nowdays personally I cannot think any other way if someone is suffering somekind of states of Hell than to join with him. I don't mean following to death in suicide cases in a concrete way but joining mentally and spiritually - helping one to carry his/her cross and this belief goes far beyond life and death.

I don't remember names, but I think that there are few christians and buddhists who have prayed to be born in the Hell of suffering souls.
Tulihenki

Post by Tulihenki »

In my prayers I often visualize image of two fellows making a bridge that eventually links opposites of two mountains. While they are not working I imagine how they are praying and doing sadhana for each other to have strenght to keep building, which really is an act of spirituality that bides the lower self to upper Self.
wayfareangel

Post by wayfareangel »

Tulihenki wrote:Nowdays personally I cannot think any other way if someone is suffering somekind of states of Hell than to join with him. I don't mean following to death in suicide cases in a concrete way but joining mentally and spiritually - helping one to carry his/her cross and this belief goes far beyond life and death.
I don't know why, but this really touches me. Really, I'm all choked up lol I think... it's because at the darkest points in my life, when I felt so small and lost, the times I haven't blocked out involve someone reaching out and taking my hand for a little while.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that what you're doing matters, even if it doesn't seem like it at the time, and there is a good chance that at some point someone will think of you and be so, so grateful.

As for prayers! I have a few mantras I use, some of them modified from The Book of Pagan Prayer, which is beautiful as a collection and starting place, and I'll link to it in the bottom.

"Open the way, open the way, oh mother Gaia, open the way." I don't even think about it when I say this to myself. It's just pretty, and comforting, and sincere.

"Oh Fortuna, full of grace, walk with me within this place." Fortuna is one of my patron deities for various heartfelt reasons, and this is just something I say to myself when I'm scared, because I tend to be insanely lucky in dangerous situations and this is just my own little comforting phrase.

The link for the book is below here, if you're curious about it. Now excuse me, they have a ritual prayer book out now that I have to go squeal and fawn over!

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/pro ... MgodLDkA5w
Time for one more daring dream.
Tulihenki

Post by Tulihenki »

Definitely joining with someone's suffering can be dangerous and there's a chance to drown, but as imperfect as humans more or less are, I have noticed that in moments of sacrifice or when being part of someone's suffering lot's of love (unity) can be channeled.

In these moment's I don't know if it's even possible to think doing something else or backing behind. There are no limits, there are no you and I as separate forms, just we and together we will rise or fall.
wayfareangel

Post by wayfareangel »

Tulihenki wrote:Definitely joining with someone's suffering can be dangerous and there's a chance to drown, but as imperfect as humans more or less are, I have noticed that in moments of sacrifice or when being part of someone's suffering lot's of love (unity) can be channeled.

In these moment's I don't know if it's even possible to think doing something else or backing behind. There are no limits, there are no you and I as separate forms, just we and together we will rise or fall.
It's a very, very important thing to do if you love someone. Joining the person, if they are willing, allows you to help direct a bit because you are removed somewhat, and can therefore see solutions and options the other person might not.

It's like... You're in a dark maze, holding your friend's hand. Only you have night-vision goggles on, and can see a bit. Things might not be clear still, but you can see more than your friend and can help lead them. Does that make sense?

I think I'm getting a bit off topic, lol. Sorry. This just feels really important to me.
Time for one more daring dream.