Prayer

Rituals, spells, prayer, meditation and magical acts.
Sebomai

Re: Prayer

Post by Sebomai »

This little side discussion about joining oneself to the suffering of others is breathtakingly beautiful and meaningful and I don't think it is at all off-topic, at least not with the intent I had when I started it. Taking upon oneself even the tiniest shred of the sufferings of another is one of the most prayerful things one can do and beats the daylights out of that distant and vaguely dismissive "I'll pray for you," that many orthodox religious people do when they decide they cannot do anything concrete to help the person and comes off sounding like they want you to stop complaining about whatever's troubling you. This is a very good practice, I do it myself, and I think it enriched the entire discussion greatly.
Heith

Post by Heith »

Off-topic of off-topic, then;

I have partaken in the suffering or confusion of dead animals on several occasions so I would like to suggest the possibility of suffering not necessarily ending when one's life ends. As you know, I use to pick up roadkills and the like and re-locate them for harvesting the bones and at times, fur. On occasion it seems that something is still present and has not quite left the body, even if most certainly the animal is dead.

The first time this happened I felt compelled to hold a ritual, especially as the animal in question was of important species to me shamanistically speaking. At the end of this funeral, or pardoning (I use this word as it seems somehow fitting even if none of the animals in question obviously aren't guilty of anything) I most certainly sensed something leave the body, and after that it seemed to be just an empty shell.

Lately I came across some old, dusty fox furs in the flea market that instantly upon touching gave a very sick feeling to me. The only word I can describe this as would be intense suffering and horror or some kind of a trace of these emotions lingering. I bought them both because I felt again compelled to apologise for the suffering, and for a death most probably traumatic and violent. I have not done this yet, but will do so at the right time. Perhaps after this I shall use this fur for some of my projects if it seems like the best option.
wayfareangel

Post by wayfareangel »

Heith, I find the fact that you do all that really comforting. I read your words and wonder if someone will do that for me when I die, if I get trapped, or even if I'm not trapped. It's nice to think of the metaphorical lighthouse in such confusion and pain.

I am constantly surprised by the empathy people can show, and I love it.
Time for one more daring dream.
Tulihenki

Post by Tulihenki »

Sebomai wrote:distant and vaguely dismissive "I'll pray for you," that many orthodox religious people do
And that ''I'll pray for you'' always consists form of egoism. I know several people that are probably praying for my soul right now at this moment and they do not pray me being healthy or anything like that; they pray that I would find christianity in a way they have found it. Same people also prays green lights when they are driving in a city, so that they wouldn't get stuck in traffic.

This is why praying (being with someone) is demanding spiritual work and not the work of an ego; former is unifying Love and self-sacrifice, while latter can include even some form of psychic attacks if supplicants will is focused strictly.
Seeker666

Post by Seeker666 »

Nefastos wrote:Those are both beautiful & beneficial practices, in my opinion. Sounds like you are really living true the Stone aspect virtues, even while belonging to another aspect. That is great.

Personally I use the Fosforos working (no surprise there) with two daily Azazel's prayers & the changing Celestial Hymns, & the Garment of Seven Blessings for the times of the full moon, plus different formulae at the eight feast days of the year. If I have time with my daily prayers, I go through the rosary with each bead focusing the prayer to a certain different object, or if I do not, I just make five bows with mental blessings to represent those five different areas I pray for. Others in top of that are likely to be related to some specific spirit working concerning myself, more often than not with goetic spirits; so they are not so much prayers as conjurations. Although the line between could be seen vague anyhow, since I use prayers more like magic (as much practical as devotional).

Oh, and one daily used practice what I'd call prayer is mantric work. It too is woven into the Azazel's rosary working. I usually use the three word mantra that changes about once in a year or so.

By the way, if someone's skeptical considering the benefits of the prayer work, I suggest taking up the physical heart as the center of prayer meditation. Focusing one's thought in it is likely to bring results quickly. But because it's easy to overdo the emotional side that way, it might be a wise thing to move from the physical heart to the spot in the middle of one's chest when the "spark" has been found.

Alocer wrote:As we've discussed on another thread, a bit, there were some real gems amidst his buffoonery, obfuscation, and occasional plain old lies.

Indeed there is, and that sack of gems is a hefty one. I am glad there are many brethren in the Star of Azazel who can appreciate Crowley more than I, who have a personal problem with him.
I'd love to read an article on the Azazel Rosary, and the daily prayers.... if you have them available :)
"Eritis sicut Deus, Scientes Bonum et Malum"- Mephistopheles
Heith

Post by Heith »

Old off-topic of and off-topic, and some kind of conclusion:
Heith wrote:
Lately I came across some old, dusty fox furs in the flea market that instantly upon touching gave a very sick feeling to me. The only word I can describe this as would be intense suffering and horror or some kind of a trace of these emotions lingering. I bought them both because I felt again compelled to apologise for the suffering, and for a death most probably traumatic and violent. I have not done this yet, but will do so at the right time. Perhaps after this I shall use this fur for some of my projects if it seems like the best option.
It took longer than expected to help the two foxes. A frater assisted me in a rather spontaneous ritual one day. My goal was to "brush" the lingering emotion off from these furs, which I believe works a little bit like a chain for the animal's spirit, hindering their moving onwards. I did this work with touch, sage incense, whispered word / singing and blowing.

It had become clear to me that I am unable to craft anything from these furs that would be beneficial for my ritual garb (with the exception of one paw that came off and which I kept) so I stored them for a while. One day me and my two friends went up on the mountain where we built a tomb whilst eager mosquitoes ate us alive. I buried the furs under rocks, and we arranged sticks in formations. In the end, the tomb looked extremely charming- a little bit like a fantastical fox nest. Previously, I had built stone spirals on the area, and this tomb was a third construction, creating a triangle if one would draw lines between all these.

I decided then to leave my spiral staff behind as well. I've harvested it from a ancient burial ground on Samhain, carved and painted with Runes over a period winter of days. This felt a proper gift, as the nature around the area had become to play a very important, magical part in my life. My powers had grown there. Leaving the staff was partially an attempt to strengthen the magic there, or to help preserve it. Partially my thank you to the land spirits, and partially to my spirit guides who sometimes take the shape of foxes.

My friend lost a nail driving the staff between the rocks, so I guess that was a one last trickster appearance from the two foxes.
Invitus

Post by Invitus »

Digging up the graveyard of old posts in the small hours of the day...
Sebomai wrote:[...] joining oneself to the suffering of others is breathtakingly beautiful and meaningful [...] Taking upon oneself even the tiniest shred of the sufferings of another is one of the most prayerful things one can do...
Somehow I never even considered this as a part of my daily practice, and that I find myself somewhat unconsciously seeking these situations.

And also the fact that just moments ago, the same subject was talked about between me and a friend
(who happens to be a target of this sort of action (By me.)),
makes this accurate a description almost eerie to read.

Yet, somehow, some people take this sort of action as a shallow/selfish way of nurturing ones ego, hungry for sympathy...
"And so he who looks down at his feet will not know the truth, but he who discerns by the sun which way to go." -Tolstoi
Tubalo

Post by Tubalo »

Hello.
I live in Brazil. but already a long time that I am a reader of the works of Nefastos.
recently I bought Unseen Fire I, and loved the article on Rosary of Azazel.
however I have a doubt, idiot I must confess.
I could change the prayer "Lucifer-Christos , the soul of God, have mercy on us." by "Lucifer-Christos , the soul of God, have mercy on me, my master." in the sense that I ask the blessings only for me. or should I keep the original?
Thanks for attention.
obs:sorry my bad english
Kenazis

Post by Kenazis »

Tubalo wrote:I could change the prayer "Lucifer-Christos , the soul of God, have mercy on us." by "Lucifer-Christos , the soul of God, have mercy on me, my master." in the sense that I ask the blessings only for me. or should I keep the original?
Hi and welcome Tubalo. Your english in understandable, that's what counts. I think you can change that part like you present and not change too much of the "spirit of prayer" (even the emphasis changes slightly). If you feel urge to change, I don't see it bad thing, especially if you feel more connected to the prayer doing this.
"We live for the woods and the moon and the night"
Tubalo

Post by Tubalo »

Hi and welcome Tubalo. Your english in understandable, that's what counts. I think you can change that part like you present and not change too much of the "spirit of prayer" (even the emphasis changes slightly). If you feel urge to change, I don't see it bad thing, especially if you feel more connected to the prayer doing this.