Film, Radio and TV

Visual arts, music, poetry and other forms of art.
Jiva

Film, Radio and TV

Post by Jiva »

We have a literature thread, so why not a film, radio and TV thread?

To open this topic I'll mention the work of Krzysztof Kieślowski. Despite many of Kieślowski's projects nominally on one concept or emotion, everything of his I've seen has had numerous possible interpretations – often with a peculiar kind of ambiguity – that's been filmed with such beauty that it's brought me to tears on occasion.

I'm sure at least some will have seen the Three Colours trilogy which interprets the French revolutionary tenets of liberté, egalité and fraternité. White is my favourite as, although the plot is about a man achieving equality through revenge, it lends itself the the greatest amount of interpretations possible. My current favourite is as an analogy of “taming the queen” in the context of Aleister Crowley, or becoming a lover of Kali in the context of an Aghora. However an opposite interpretation is easily possible, a multiplicity I find strangely satisfying.

At the moment I'm watching Decalogue, a TV series with each episode examining the ten commandments through the experiences of the residents of a very Soviet-looking apartment block. Although it is never stated which commandment is predominantly analysed (some overlap apparently) it seems relatively obvious. I have only seen the first three episodes, but they are shot with the same beauty of the Three Colours trilogy.
'Oh Krishna, restless and overpowering, this mind is overwhelmingly strong; I think we might as easily gain control over the wind as over this.'
Nefastos

Re: Film, Radio and TV

Post by Nefastos »

Usually talk about films & occultism haven't gone very long inside SoA before someone mentioned The Holy Mountain. I'm glad I haven't seen it yet, for there seems to be great experience waiting in the future!

Concerning the picture of Satan "in Azazelian way" in the popular culture, that is, not as a pompous warlord prone to aggression but as the messenger of (often unpleasant) Truth, the first two horror movies I always think first are Hellraiser - Inferno & Silent Hill. Although the latter didn't reach the awesome depth of Konami's original mythology, I think it was good enough a try.

By the way, brother H. Nox's anecdote is disturbingly (in a good way) similar to "Azazel's special kids" in a tv show Supernatual. I suggest seeing the show, fra Nox, it's not half bad. Well, not for all tastes, anyhow. And if you get a zap of correspondence half as strong from the cradle room fire scenes as I got when finding Walter Sullivan's body (SH4) in perfectly the same appearance & even pose as I had back then, with similar interests, you'll get your empowerment for this season of work. 8-)

Now there was a bit of gaming put together with this, but before it's got its own topic I think that's fine?
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Jiva

Post by Jiva »

I still haven't seen The Holy Mountain yet, although I saw El Topo about five years ago.

A friend persuaded me to watch the Hellraiser films after the first two by saying Inferno was great...and he was right :D. I actually remember Hellseeker being OK as well. The first Hellraiser is probably one of the most important films I ever watched. Me and a friend found his dad's copy and watched it when we were about 10 which made a large impression on me regarding pretty much everything.

Which Silent Hill film do you mean, I think there are two now? I've only seen the first one and all I can remember is that the music/sound effects reminded me of the old PC game Myst.
'Oh Krishna, restless and overpowering, this mind is overwhelmingly strong; I think we might as easily gain control over the wind as over this.'
Fomalhaut

Post by Fomalhaut »

I actually have been planning to open a topic about movies, glad to see Jiva made it!
Nefastos wrote:Usually talk about films & occultism haven't gone very long inside SoA before someone mentioned The Holy Mountain. I'm glad I haven't seen it yet, for there seems to be great experience waiting in the future!

I strongly suggest "The Holy Mountain" too!!

On the other hand, there is a Spanish movie from 1970s which I came across with last year on youtube, the quality of it was very low, so I am posting the Imdb link of it here The movie is called Inquisition. It is shortly about a period piece set during the Inquisition about a witch-finder general who falls in love with the village beauty, who has made a pact with the devil to seduce and condemn the man who is killing off Satan's servants (taken from Imdb).

If anyone would be interested to see the movie, I can post the youtube link of it here.

I love movies from 1970s, 1960s, etc. So I was amazed by it. I just cannot guarantee that everyone will like it.
"I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become."
— C.G. Jung
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Jiva wrote:A friend persuaded me to watch the Hellraiser films after the first two by saying Inferno was great...and he was right :D. I actually remember Hellseeker being OK as well. The first Hellraiser is probably one of the most important films I ever watched. Me and a friend found his dad's copy and watched it when we were about 10 which made a large impression on me regarding pretty much everything.

Hellraiser's very pulp, which usually is enough to divert people from insights in any fictional mythos - Lovecraft's being, for some reason, a common exception.

Hellraiser's cube is so acutely accurate a symbol that I can't help but to praise the great mind able to dream it to fiction. It's the cube of man, that is, the cross closed to three-dimensional prison for the soul. In macrocosmic world, it's the cube of Metatron, holding in it all of the Platonic solids, i.e. all the spheres of the world & all of angelic hosts. But angels to others, demons to some - in this world where seeming error is not only a possibility, but a solid fact.

I'm just sorry most of those films became so awfully bad, only the original, Inferno, Hellseeker & Hellbound being exceptions IMO.

Jiva wrote:Which Silent Hill film do you mean, I think there are two now? I've only seen the first one and all I can remember is that the music/sound effects reminded me of the old PC game Myst.

I meant the first one, from 2006. It uses Akira Yamaoka's great soundtrack for the original Silent Hill games. Oh, those pieces of art!

Fomalhaut wrote:On the other hand, there is a Spanish movie from 1970s...

Heh, sounds nice. Mayhaps the same film the band Inquisition have used clips from?

p.s. I can't understand how long it will take David Lynch to come up.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Jiva

Post by Jiva »

Nefastos wrote:I'm just sorry most of those films became so awfully bad, only the original, Inferno, Hellseeker & Hellbound being exceptions IMO.
I'm actually a massive fan of terrible b-movies and things like MST3K/Rifftrax, but for some of the Hellraiser sequels it was like they were having a competition to see who could be worse.

I've never actually played any of the Silent Hill games or seen any David Lynch (aside from a few episodes of Twin Peaks years ago) :oops:. To make the former even worse, I've seen the first Silent Hill film and really liked the atmosphere.
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

Here's a bunch of movies, that might not be known to all non-freaks. Good stuff only.

The Hourglass sanatorium (1973), Satyricon (1968), Pasolini's Decamerone, Canterbury tales and Salo, Enter the Void (2009), Hausu (Jap 1977), Jacob's ladder (1991), Altered states (1980), Stalker (1979) and Wicker man (1973). I guarantee these are interesting to any of you, who like movies.

More than i like really good movies, i like mutants, robots and monsters. Sometimes trash is more real.
Heith

Post by Heith »

Benemal wrote:
More than i like really good movies, i like mutants, robots and monsters. Sometimes trash is more real.
Ha! My kind of answer! We should have a movie night sometime.

I love the Wicker Man, great film. One of my favorites ever. I'm always so happy when the fire starts. And the kids wearing masks are so creepy.

The weirdest film in a while I've seen is Dellamorte Dellamore (Cemetery Man). At first I thought it was a zombie film. Then I thought it was a necrophilia-themed softcore something. Then I thought it was a splatter comedy. Then I just thought it was odd.
Jiva

Post by Jiva »

Fomalhaut wrote:On the other hand, there is a Spanish movie from 1970s which I came across with last year on youtube, the quality of it was very low, so I am posting the Imdb link of it here The movie is called Inquisition. It is shortly about a period piece set during the Inquisition about a witch-finder general who falls in love with the village beauty, who has made a pact with the devil to seduce and condemn the man who is killing off Satan's servants (taken from Imdb).
Thanks for the recommendation, that was a great film, similar to The Witchfinder General with Vincent Price, which I assume you must have seen if you like films from that era?

I'll also be going through Benemal's list too, I've been wanting to see Satyricon and Jacob's Ladder for a while now.

Another great film I can think of is the original Tetsuo. Describing the plot is difficult so I'll cheat and copy from IMDB :P.
A strange man known only as the "metal fetishist", who seems to have an insane compulsion to stick scrap metal into his body, is hit and possibly killed by a Japanese "salaryman", out for a drive with his girlfriend. The salaryman then notices that he is being slowly overtaken by some kind of disease that is turning his body into scrap metal, and that his nemesis is not in fact dead but is somehow masterminding and guiding his rage and frustration-fueled transformation.
Despite being an 80s film it's filmed in black and white as I think it was originally a student project and therefore had absolutely no budget whatsoever. It also has one of the best movie soundtracks I've ever heard - it fits the film perfectly in my opinion. There have been a few different versions released over the years but here's a version of the main theme.
v-a

Post by v-a »

Angel heart (1987)