The Catechism of Lucifer

Discussion on books, journals and articles by the Star of Azazel.
swordofapostasy

Re: The Catechism of Lucifer

Post by swordofapostasy »

nevermore218 wrote:This is probably going to make me sound like a huge cheapeskate, but are either the English version of Fosforos and the Catechism of Lucifer going to be published in a less expensive way?

Like how Scarlet Imprint press has paperback versions of all of their titles for example.
I feel your pain. I struggle to make ends meet from month to month and there's no way I could hope to afford the hardcover editions of Nefastos books.

I would ask Mr. Nefastos what his feelings are about making some of these books available as ebooks?
(I would prefer a book I can hold in my hands of course but sometimes in life one must settle for whatever one can get)
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

I'm a bit sceptical about e-books, but it might be only because I'm not familiar enough with the concept, but more like an old world bibliophile. Thanks for bringing that up though, I think this must be taken into serious consideration.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Heith

Post by Heith »

Nice coincidence, we just discussed this with another member of SOA.

My other high hope was audio books, because often when I read for example COL, I want to start to draw or doodle at the same time. It's highly impractical! I've had people read the book for me while I draw but friends can be asked to do this only so many times... :lol:
Sebomai

Post by Sebomai »

I, too, have long been a physical hold-the-book-in-your-hands bibliophile, but I have been using e-books for a couple of years now, and they have some wonderful attributes.

1. They are cheaper, as being discussed here. At least they usually are. Some unscrupulous publishers actually charge MORE for e-books and mp3 albums are occasionally being sold for more than physical CDs. That's absurd. But, in general, they are cheaper.

2. They don't add to clutter and they do not get damaged.

3. They can generally be stored for an eternity in some kind of cloud that the seller, be it Amazon or iTunes or whatever, has out there.

4. I cannot understate the significance of the fact that an e-book gives instant gratification. You want the book NOW, you get it NOW. That may be a childish desire, I won't deny that, but it would also be foolish to deny that most of us harbor that wish for things like books or music at times. And it really is a big deal to be able to just sit there, order it, and start reading in a minute.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on e-books. That said, I'd never want my physical copies of fra. Nefastos's books to be taken from me and turned into e-books! I love the real copies! :)
swordofapostasy

Post by swordofapostasy »

I think everyone would much prefer a physical copy of a book.
ebooks do have excellent advantages, especially as far as portability is concerned. How great would it be to be out and about and be able to pull up the CoL on your iphone or something?

Also it's probably a matter of time before Nefasto's books are available online as free pdfs; people scan and share books all the time regardless of whether people think its right or not. That brings up the issue of "piracy" which I think is a misnomer really, because nothing is actually being stolen.

I believe art and spirituality are things we should hold in common, that such things should not be commodified. That's why I charge nothing for the music I produce, I make all my work available for free on youtube. I see doing so as kind of a statement, a protest against materialistic consumer culture, against the plutocratic nation I call home. It's one way my rejection of the Demiurge manifests in my daily life.

That is not to say that artists and writers shouldn't be supported, nor am I saying others shouldn't charge for their work, if I were producing physical copies of my music I would at least charge enough to reimburse my expenses, and I strongly believe in giving credit where it is due.

Maybe I just find money filthy, lol
Jiva

Post by Jiva »

Another couple of benefits of ebooks - at least those in Kindle format - are that you can electronically bookmark or highlight stuff in a page without marking the page, using the restrictive size of post-it-notes or trusting in a loose piece of paper. Additionally it's possible to search the entire book for a keyword that might not be indexed or a half remembered sentence, which I find incredibly useful.

Having said that though, there is nothing like the texture or smell of certain papers, be they deliberately scented or just old :D.
'Oh Krishna, restless and overpowering, this mind is overwhelmingly strong; I think we might as easily gain control over the wind as over this.'
Heith

Post by Heith »

Thank you for your thoughts on the matter. Excellent point with highlighting, Jiva. Also, sometimes I need to look a dictionary for a word, because the texts can be difficult for me as English is not my native language. (yes don't ask me why I got them in English... :roll: )
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

I will get an e-book reading gadget, in the near future. The only reason for it is, that I can read books that I've wanted to read for years, that are available online in pdf. Some old books, that have never been reprinted or published at all.
Seeker666

Post by Seeker666 »

The Catechism of Lucifer by Johannes Nefastos did not disappoint. It was a fantastic, albeit short, read.
The philosophy presented herein has both inspired and tested me. My favorite part however, if one could have a favorite when it comes to books like these, was the Magister Noster and explanation thereof.
The book itself has such a presence, and is beautifully made.... I am extremely pleased with this book and it will no doubt be an Important text in my practice. Hail Master Satan.
A.M.S.G.
"Eritis sicut Deus, Scientes Bonum et Malum"- Mephistopheles
Heith

Post by Heith »

Seeker666 wrote:The Catechism of Lucifer by Johannes Nefastos did not disappoint. It was a fantastic, albeit short, read.
The philosophy presented herein has both inspired and tested me. My favorite part however, if one could have a favorite when it comes to books like these, was the Magister Noster and explanation thereof.
The book itself has such a presence, and is beautifully made.... I am extremely pleased with this book and it will no doubt be an Important text in my practice. Hail Master Satan.
A.M.S.G.
Catechism for Lucifer for me personally has been the most important one- I think a lot of it had to do with the little bit difficult font which put me into another mindset and forced me to read more slowly. It is a beautiful work. Glad to hear you liked it as well. May I ask where you purchased your copy from?