What are you listening to at the moment?

Visual arts, music, poetry and other forms of art.
Asuradūta

Re: What are you listening to at the moment?

Post by Asuradūta »

Aside for a bit of black metal, classic heavy metal and post-punk/goth stuff, I've been on a pretty massive Dead Can Dance-kick this past week.
Nebenkheperu wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:00 am
Kenazis wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:57 am Doom metal was the only original metal genre that I didn't like at all for long time, but when I destroyed my ability to play guitar for couple of years I was forced to train up from single notes and chords. Then I understood the magic of slow minimal music and went straight first to Reverend Bizarre and then to Sunn O.
Inneresting! I dived into the genre in '94, because I liked the overall slow tempoes & gloominess, I suppose - in retrospect...at that time the single metal genre I personally disliked was BM (it has changed since). I too have lately sort of destroyed my fancy guitar-playing abilities through simple disuse, -interest and laziness...so today it seems well that I originally picked doom metal as my...ouvre. 8-)
Anyway, I think the classic bands of the genre are the likes of Black Sabbath, Candlemass, My Dying Bride, early Paradise Lost, Anathema and even Katatonia, Solitude Aeternus, Thergothon, Esoteric, Unholy, Warning, Solstice, Vainaja, Sorcerer and the like.
Ditties such as this.
I used to be quite a traditional doom-elitist in my late teens and early twenties :lol: My tastes concerning the wider umbrella of the genre have since thankfully widened quite a bit, finding considerable value in death/doom, funeral doom and drone, at least to the extent of Sunn O)))
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

Benemal wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:16 pm
Asuradūta wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:39 pm I've been breaking some old preconceptions and attitudes and earnestly enjoyed German power metal and, of all bands, HIM.
That's a pretty serious crisis. Just remember, you are loved, and this is a safe place.
This exchange made me spit water out of my nose because I snorted mid-gulp.

ALSO. Blind Guardian is the best power metal band in the world and that's a (hobbit) hill I'll die on.
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
Nebenkheperu

Post by Nebenkheperu »

Polyhymnia wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:54 am ALSO. Blind Guardian is the best power metal band in the world and that's a (hobbit) hill I'll die on.
Seldom have truer words been spoken. Yet, what would be those individual tunes by said Huns that encapsulate mayhaps deeper wisdoms in their lyrics/musical realisation? Although BG's goal is not such at all, I surmise. Rather their music seems to be about paying tribute to the output of various celebrated scifi/fantasy authors. An admirable goal I should think 🤔

Nevertheless, speaking about hobbits, I'd fain offer this ditty. The downwards shittiness of the movie trilogy itself notwithstanding. 🤓
Ἐθεώρουν τὸν Σατανᾶν ὡς ἀστραπὴν.
"Animus risu novatur."
Nebenkheperu

Post by Nebenkheperu »

To say nothing of this song's music/lyrics/retro-visual style video.
"Animus risu novatur."
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

Nebenkheperu wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:37 am Nevertheless, speaking about hobbits, I'd fain offer this ditty. The downwards shittiness of the movie trilogy itself notwithstanding. 🤓
Holy moly, that dude's voice could move the damn mountains.
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
Nebenkheperu

Post by Nebenkheperu »

Indeed! His vocal register appears to be three octaves, give or take 😲
For something almost different, IMO here we seem to have a combo akin to Wardruna meets Southern Ostrobothnian women meets a Ἑκάτη/Magna Mater look-/feelalike. 🤤
Yet I consider this more wholesome on more levels than one.
"Animus risu novatur."
Nebenkheperu

Post by Nebenkheperu »

To progress from between the friction li(n)es of the Alchemical/Theosophical approach unto the Master...could this ditty in fact be interpreted as being somewhat positively Azazelian?
"Animus risu novatur."
Smaragd

Post by Smaragd »

Nebenkheperu wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:15 am To progress from between the friction li(n)es of the Alchemical/Theosophical approach unto the Master...could this ditty in fact be interpreted as being somewhat positively Azazelian?
I might be taking the name of the song too much as overarching the whole song while it could be just a small line in the lyrics that happened to be placed on the title, but Sulphur as something dry, combustionable and having an odour associated with hell and bad/trialing spirits, at least has symbolical similarity with some Azazel myths. I think there are many where Azazel has been chained or imprisoned in a ravine or under a mountain (underground) in a desert. Here we have ideas with the same direction as hell and dryness. Then there is the myth where Azazel calls for black magicians to come to his lair and learn his magic. This we could see as the combustibility of Sulphur, the principle which breaks away from the static prison of the Salt of the Earth. As a side note, like learning the potent magic has its dangers, so it is dangerous to combust out of this grounding element. It is a necessity for an occultist, but salt has also its important part in the whole.

I prefer not to listen to music that much anymore but lately there's been couple occasions for country music. Hank Williams, Hank III and the horror derivate The Coffinshakers. Good to sing along.
"Would to God that all the Lord's people were Prophets”, Numbers 11:29 as echoed by William Blake
Nebenkheperu

Post by Nebenkheperu »

Ita vero, frater meus smaragdinus. A rather profound analysis you gave - I should think.
So all the more, I shall repay you with a somewhat superficial (to break my character) song reference...a poppy tune, with only vague esoterical content. Yet some wisdom might be included therein - utlimately in the eye/ear of the beholder, as is only natural, all things considered.
"Animus risu novatur."
Smaragd

Post by Smaragd »

Occasionally circling back to experimental music, now listening to die Angel - Yön Magneetti Sine. The record has so much space for good ambience, decent electro-acoustic sounds and composition that it doesn't feel empty to me as many experimental records do. Genius loci is also strong in the album art as well as in the ambience to a degree that brings exceptional warmth and soul to the music.
"Would to God that all the Lord's people were Prophets”, Numbers 11:29 as echoed by William Blake