Use of alcohol

Putting together ones life with the modern world.
Soror O

Re: Use of alcohol

Post by Soror O »

Insanus wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:44 am I think the good or bad effect depends actually more on what you drink & how you drink & with what intention you drink than on how much/how often you drink.
Oh, yes! One has to respect the spirits of booze - they ought not to be consulted light-heartedly. But with a strong and sensing heart. Nowadays I use spirits to get spirited (haltioituakseni), to celebrate the Earth, to enhance already existing joy and awe. There was a time in my twenies where I'd get angry and aggressive being drunk. In retrospect, that was my shadow making itself seen as my day-time-personality was "perfect" and highly controlled.

My father was a drunk, among other things. His motives for drinking were avoidance and fear, I think.

I tend to think that different substances reveal and enhance only aspects and quolities that already are within oneself. Therefore the Finnish proverb: "Viina on viisasten juoma." / The spirits are wise men's drinks. I don't think I'm wise though, I'm but a fool (like my dear-old-paps).

(Typo edited.)
If you want to reborn, let yourself die.
Medeia

Post by Medeia »

Nefastos wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:51 am what my fellow occultists think about the use of alcohol.
Love it.
Nefastos wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:51 am Is it harmful to one's spiritual search?
To me, most certainly Yes.
But.
With my generally merry and worldly thingy-appreciating temperament, if I wouldn’t have had my share of traumas leading to deep issues with drugs and alcohol and petty crime lifestyle, but instead had stable childhood and ability to channel energy to stay in school and get a real job, it is very possible that I would have managed quite decent in worldy terms and never had any need to seek beyond obvious or take life seriously, or at some point perhaps had entered to a very different kind of esoteric community. Also what I have learned (quite vividly) from my steps on downward path, is that within me exist a certain tendency that can let me to be very indifferent to suffers of the world and a total asshole towards less fortunate than I am, “because each gets what they deserve”. Being absolute trash of the earth for some time (10 years, give or take) seems to be what may have been needed and would not been possible without alcohol (can’t say for sure if it’s true or not but it seems a lot healthier way to think than any other available alternative).
As a born-again-satanist it keeps amazing me how utterly ungrateful all the ex-whatever-born-again-christians that I have read or seen interviewed can be towards the forces that ultimately drove them into the arms of Christ. Referring here to parable of the needle and camel.
But as for now, even the very smallest quantities of beer in me are able to ignite full-on drinking sessions and hellfires, yet unable to give anything actually useful, and if I have “the one” it’s quite likely my spouse will have too, and from then with our chemistry combined with alcohols, it’s a coin toss will it be a complete disaster or fun and comfy but ultimately pointless buzz. And even writing this makes me really want to have the one, which actually can mean almost anything – there’s no need to get into metaphysics to see why this isnt a very profitable habit to keep, at least not it’s current form. Yet I’m still hesitant to claim that there couldn’t be any meaningful use for alcohol beyond getting wrecked. It’s obvious that I do have problem with the stuff but I’m not worried, I’v been keeping a record on drinking for about a year now and it states distinct improvement on the matter.
Eliphas Levi wrote:TEMPERANCE

If you desire long life and health avoid all excesses, carry nothing to extremes. Once more preserve the equilibrium; you must neither abandon yourself to the benignities of Chesed, nor restrict yourself to the rigors of Geburah.
So when have passed beyond the mortal sphere by allurements of ecstasy, return to yourself, seek repose and enjoy the pleasures which life supplies for the wise, but do not indulge too freely.
If you feel fatiqued bu the tempting fascination of a prolonged fast, then take food and drink; but if you have loss of appetite from generous diet, then fast by all means. If you are feeling the seductiveness of womankind, seek relief from women.
You must learn to overcome all passions, and conquer all tendencies to folly. But let there be no misunderstanding. To vanquish an enemy there must be no running away: true victory can only follow meeting him face to face, joining in a struggle, and so showing your command over him.
[...]
Nahumatarah

Post by Nahumatarah »

I abstain from all mind altering substances these days, except coffee which I cant seem to be able to quit. Reason for this is because most drugs, and alcohol cause mood swings for me, which puts a lot or strain on both daily life and spiritual practices. It's nothing dramatic really, but enough to eat away motivation and discipline.

I never liked alcohol much since I'm very sensitive to it, and it makes me drowsy in even in very low doses. On the day after drinking, even moderately, I often feel very depressed for no apparent reason which lowers my motivation to do anything. Alcohol also wreaks total havoc on my ability to concentrate, and on my sleeping patterns which may sometimes take several days to recover from.

The only practical magical application of alcohol which i can think of is in sex magic, as it seems to work as an aphrodisiac, enhancing my sexual drive which is normally somewhat low, also helping me to last longer. I don't have much experience of this though.
"The time has come to turn your heart into a temple of fire."

- Jalāl ad-Dīn Mohammad Rūmī
Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

I don't really drink alcohol, but i do believe there is a heavy connection between drinking alcohol and occultism. Several ritual goblets are made specifically for this, and i can see drinking alcohol actually helping with the conjuration process. I am talking about invoking the Goetia Spirits here. Drinking alcohol makes your mind easier to communicate with(or to take over) as your mind lowers its barriers, anxieties disappear and you became more receptive towards influence. Even in Christianity you drink WINE in holy communion, and worship of Dionysus was done with heavy drinking as well so i think it's fair to say that alcohol has it's part in the occultism. Still, like all the tools it can be destructive if not used carefully.
Smaragd

Post by Smaragd »

Seferoth wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:40 am and i can see drinking alcohol actually helping with the conjuration process. I am talking about invoking the Goetia Spirits here. Drinking alcohol makes your mind easier to communicate with(or to take over) as your mind lowers its barriers, anxieties disappear and you became more receptive towards influence.
I have not done too much of strictly goetic work, but I think I know what you mean. Lowering barriers can be good in extreme locked in situations, but in the long run such aids will come in the way of developing oneself to go over higher barriers as one becomes dependent on the aiding tool. As the use of, for example, alcohol will bend one's mind to focus on certain areas and getting too used to be bent in that direction it will prevents the mind to open to new, more nuanced, understanding and focus. But indeed, goetia seems to be something where the focus on specific area will be used to change things, to emphasise more the astral impressions with which some lower spirits could be supposed to feed on(?). Would you say alcohol helps with opening to the astral body - feelings and visions etc.?

In work leaning more towards theurgy I have observed that too much emphasis on the red astral will block nuances. When starting to use the Rosary of Azazel, there was first a kind of purification period where the Red astral became under focus and there was a lot of emotions present, but in the long run it felt natural to focus on other things than the emotion. There was no need at all to suppress the emotions, such sensations just wasn't in the long run the most interesting part of it and if they came I welcomed them but sought the balance point between my different instrumental bodies. Alcohol would surely over emphasise the astral body in such contexts.
"Would to God that all the Lord's people were Prophets”, Numbers 11:29 as echoed by William Blake