Etiology of disorders and diseases - an esoteric perspective

Putting together ones life with the modern world.
Soror O

Etiology of disorders and diseases - an esoteric perspective

Post by Soror O »

Disclaimer: This thread is not about diagnozing any particular disease or person, nor about making claims about any other person's illnesses than one's own. Rather it's about sharing personal experinces on the subject: what is illness in the esoteric worldview and how it has been experienced and interpreted personally.

Whether I'm with the flu, having a rash or whatever I have this intense strive for turning inwards, this hounting call for introspection. I sense illness as dis-order, being out of balance, having too much or too little of something. And I have to investigate just what it is - and how it came to be. I also interpret the signs of illness as allegories and metaphors. Also an each part of my body is also a metaphor (and a microcosmos in macrocosmos). These are my intuitive takes on disease, yet they can also be found in different traditions of medicine, such as the traditional Chinese medicine which is rooted in Taoism.

The variabels of disease - and medicine - are plenty, existing both inside and outside the organism. These variables are perceived/sensed in different layers of reality: as coarse matter, as subtle matter and as immaterial substances. To give real remedy is to exceed the former knowing (about the organism/about the flow within it).

Earlier in my life, I have had clear sense of having a disease in a potential, latent form. A disease that would break out if I were not to confront challenges x,y,z. Usually I get I'll when I have not been alert with the present currents. If I have been holding on to something for too long.

Also... I feel that I had some disease within me as karmic debt. Now, as I sense that this debt/load has been neutralized my diseases are more likely to be of my own autobiographical origins. I still sense that my "system of flow" = body(/ies) has been shaped by karma, but now I'm potentially free to be with or without disease. How grandiose, must one think. But to realize that potential, it is a challenge. I'm not without disease, maybe I'll never be. But I realize that I could be.
If you want to reborn, let yourself die.
Nefastos

Re: Etiology of disorders and diseases - an esoteric perspective

Post by Nefastos »

Soror O wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:24 pmwhat is illness in the esoteric worldview

This brings us instantly to the concept of karma. Karma is result of a choice to go over balance. But because the balance takes such a long time to re-establish, the focus shifts to something else completely (i.e. reincarncation occurs), and the topic becomes esoteric to the extreme.

Thus it would require two things to get truly healed: first, the lack of equilibrium in the lower triad must be counterbalanced, and second, the manasic consciousness must gain insight about the situation. Unless both of these occur, getting healed is most likely just a way of changing one illness into another, just like an addict may change one addiction (say, drugs) for another (say, Jesus).

This might sound grim. But what is an illness and what is not is another deep question. We have Myshkin, we have Don Quijote, we have a whole legion of saintly madmen and people pressed down by bodily illnesses and injuries they have been able to turn into a special kind of power. There is actual no perfect state of health, since existence itself is already a blemish on the state of unbeing's perfect harmony.

So it comes to the "harmony of disharmony": how much imbalance can we take it and form it as a form of a new dance? Both harmony and disharmony are needed in order to be a person.

Soror O wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:24 pmsharing personal experiences on the subject

I ponder this question very often. Should I be, in some pervert way, happy about the constant anguish that makes it impossible for me to focus into much else but the occult depth of being? Is it part of some weird divine plan that I have to feel terrible every single day, to wake into suffering of both physical and psychical kind? Would I be a happy but meaningless profane fool if I didn't suffer a nervous hell? Abhinavagupta would most likely say no (in tantricism it is considered that one can reach both happiness and nirvâna at the same time), but I must admit it's a possibility that it is suffering that ignites the fire inside a human being.

So, the etiology for an illness would therefore be also its karmic teleology on the path of remanation – both individual and collective.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Smaragd

Post by Smaragd »

Just recently I came upon Blavatsky's notion referenced on this article on Olcott's practice of healing, that homeopathy should be brought forth to support modern medical science. Perhaps homeopathy might be an interesting point of view to a more practical and micro level inspection on this topic.

I have, like many others of our day, quite a skeptical attititude towards homeopathy, but if I look at it in all honesty and the subtle viewpoints of occult philosophy, I might be able to point my criticism more specificly rather than throwing the baby out with the bath water. The organized homeopathic practice in the west has a system of different substances, the homeopathic subtle (I suppose aetheric) remains of which ingested should help with the corresponding(?) disease, or a disease that somehow relates to these substances. I guess, the placebo effect is largely working in the are of linga sharira, where the different aethers (heat, magnetic aether, aural aether and memory matrix aether) work their levels of existence, the highest of which is most directly connected to the karmic mechanisms importantly noted above by Nefastos. It seems like placebo effect happens, for example, by the introspection the homeopathic practitioner directs the patient towards: the patients disease and overall problems in life are spoken about (the subtle body is rearranged) and to the revealed problems can be sought correspondence from the system of different substances, the subtle remains of which should be ingested. Again, Nefastos’ notion of diseases turning in to others must be remembered here. I guess taking care of the effects rather than causes can ease the suffering that might be incapacitating, but can, again, move it to so far in the future that the same problem will sneak upon in a way that similar suffering will come back.

My criticism of homeopathy thus asks if there could be ways to better the procedure? It might at the same time ask more from the patient: to have vital ritualism (perhaps connected to deeper occult striving and traditions, with perhaps archetypal practices reminiscent to Jungian psychoanalysis etc.) rather than pseudoscientific clinical approach to homeopathy, a larger area of the soul could be made helpful to the work of curing the disease. But the therapeutic approach of talking to the patient and turning him/her in to self-reflection and introspection ofcourse is already making those subtle changes in quite a concrete way, and the clinical aspect has its merits there. I wonder also if a system of correspondences that homeopathic traditions have created has a supporting effect, or how concrete the different subtle (pun not intended) bodies features/capabilities are. For a reference point, we have discussed these questions to some degree in the fascinating Substitudes for Blood Sacrifice topic.

Curious information to add to the contemplation of the aethers and placebo effect: the placebo effect supposedly works even when the patient is not aware of getting the medicine. I’m not sure if research has ruled out the effect of being cared for, which, I have felt having an effect on the vital body quite clearly.
"Would to God that all the Lord's people were Prophets”, Numbers 11:29 as echoed by William Blake
Zeraim

Post by Zeraim »

As Taoism and Chinese medicine were mentioned, I would like to bring few details about these to discussion. Things within the mentioned “traditions” were not so straight forward as we might think.

Some of the early religious Taoist movements like Celestial Masters even prohibited some forms of healing (like acupuncture, moxibustion and herbs). They saw that it is much more effective to withdraw into partial seclusion, meditate and find the reason how one has transgressed Dao. The surviving evidence does not give any clear description what we call reincarnation or karma. The idea of transgressing Dao was more connected to dishonouring ancestors etc. and not living in harmony with ones Dao (or dharma) and other members of society. The way for re-entering the right path was connected more to repenting, “fixing” ones flaws/crimes, regaining balance and thus getting healed. This is very similar to idea that disease is caused by ones sins. Celestial masters also used rituals and magick for healing. It seems that Taiping-school also held similar ideas.

Some early schools like Shangqing (Supreme Clarity or Highest Clarity) allowed using all forms of medicine and combined these with meditative practices and healing rites. They also saw that diseases were because of losing Dao (ie. going against ones own way or acting against nature meaning for example not living in harmony with seasons and using improper diet etc.) and diseases were symptoms of imbalances that needed to be fixed. They saw it was very insightful to use inner gods (working using different god forms to gain insight and powers over different bodily spirits, identities, personalities etc.) to really understand the disease and its roots. Inner gods can be seen as archetypes and microcosmic presentation of different cosmic gods or principles. There are some description surviving how inner colors connected to different organs changed when impurities of these organs, elements and mind became cleared out.

Many later traditions used different forms of contemplative practices very similar to today's mindfulness practices, used talismans and different forms of religious practices. Buddhism also brought idea of karmic reasons to the debate. Many different religious groups, like Taoist and Buddhist had ideals of charity and one way of doing it was tending the sick. This could be one reason why so many doctors of the time were also part of some religious movements and why there has been so many spiritual ideas during development of Chinese medicine.

At the same time with these clearly religious movements, there were more secular forms of medical thinking, which usually saw diseases more like imbalances that can be fixed. But even these more secular movements were often connected to self cultivation practices and meditation. During the history many of these traditions have walked hand in hand and different practitioners from different schools of thought have all studied life and health from their own perspectives. Synthesis from these ideas became later known as Chinese medicine or Chinese healing. Modern versions of Chinese medicine however are usually connected only to fixing the inner balance and regaining harmony within. Most practitioner do not have similar religious ideas for their practice of Chinese medicine.

My personal take on these is that many health problems can be seen at different levels. The symptoms or imbalances called diseases are often connected to our habits, diet, emotional life etc. And they can be seen and treated as imbalances with Chinese medicine or with many other ways like changing ones habits, eating and sleeping better etc.
But “deeper” problems within our “minds” are like seeds to these imbalances and are way harder to be treated. And healing them requires self-reflection and lot of inner working. And this is something none else can do for you. Of course others can help you or lead you in self-reflection and guide one to slowly becoming conscious of the roots, but only if one is willing and able to do so. Different healers can ease the symptoms eating your life force and hindering your progression from your deeper occult training, but they cannot heal you. That is something that must come from yourself.

One problem I seem to pick up from different discussions here at the SoA forum is that many of us, me included, tend to cling on to our problems. Diseases, sorrows, pains, inner conflicts etc. are part of life and we should be able to see and accept them. That is one of the most important aspects of growing and occult training. We should never ignore or turn blind eye to our problems. But we also should not continue clinging on them and make our identities based on them. We should not feed our “bad karma”. Clinging on to ones “negative” side prevents union of our being and hinders our developments as much as would ignoring the problems. In a way, we must work out our karma and one day be released from it.
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Zeraim wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:22 pmThey saw it was very insightful to use inner gods (working using different god forms to gain insight and powers over different bodily spirits, identities, personalities etc.) to really understand the disease and its roots. Inner gods can be seen as archetypes and microcosmic presentation of different cosmic gods or principles.

This reminds me of some interesting lists of such corporeal and seemingly microcosmic deities that can be found extensive, for example, from The Secret Book of John. This is part of what I referred to in the last Salome blog Q&A post:

Mantvs: Do members work with entities / demons?
Nefastos: I personally believe that every human being works with entities and demons, usually unknowingly. But every member of the brotherhood is allowed to see this in a way one chooses. For us it is more important to discuss the problems that result from too hastily chosen ideas about spiritual entities – be that haste either the sceptical or belief-choosing kind. After such a process, members are able to ponder their own attitude to the spirit world accordingly. Personally, I consider myself working with very many different kinds of spiritual entities, but it is often unwise to speak of such things, which others would not be able to prove either true or false. For me, there is nothing in the world whatsoever that is not filled with spirits. My body is upheld by spirits, my work is helped with spirits, and spirits form the auric union of myself and my fellow human beings, and myself and the nature around me – and so on, ad infinitum. But I remain extremely sceptical of the way people usually consider these spirits, seeing them as ready cast personalities.

Zeraim wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:22 pmOne problem I seem to pick up from different discussions here at the SoA forum is that many of us, me included, tend to cling on to our problems. Diseases, sorrows, pains, inner conflicts etc. are part of life and we should be able to see and accept them. That is one of the most important aspects of growing and occult training. We should never ignore or turn blind eye to our problems. But we also should not continue clinging on them and make our identities based on them. We should not feed our “bad karma”. Clinging on to ones “negative” side prevents union of our being and hinders our developments as much as would ignoring the problems. In a way, we must work out our karma and one day be released from it.

This is important to remember. Especially for a Satanist a handicap or problem can become like a role one is (at least in part) happy to play, and it even offers some practical possibilities: "No, sorry, I can't do X because of this condition of mine, you understand..."

This is also one reason why I start my every morning with thanking from those many great things have received, mentioning at least a few every time. Feeding negativity and pessimism gives energy to those things, taking that amount away from positive development and helping others & oneself.

Still, it seems to me that it is more common in our time that bad things are "out of sight, out of mind," and people try to ignore their glaring problems to the point that they even believe that grievous problems can just be self-hypnotized away. And perhaps sometimes they can. But I think here, as in almost every thing, the golden middle way is the best: being aware and honest of one's illnesses while at the same time doing one's best even while thus burdened. Also, there are many physical & psychical challenges that are so direct & imminent that one can't dismiss them no matter what. I think making such a process open can become not only one's downfall but a strength – helping also the others – in the upward path.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Smaragd

Post by Smaragd »

Zeraim wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:22 pm Of course others can help you or lead you in self-reflection and guide one to slowly becoming conscious of the roots, but only if one is willing and able to do so. Different healers can ease the symptoms eating your life force and hindering your progression from your deeper occult training, but they cannot heal you. That is something that must come from yourself.
There exists so many grumpy old man caricatures in the world of comedy and drama where the doctors aid is refused because the habits are loved too much to make an attempt to find a balance, that I wonder if the stereotype actually prevents people to identify those situations in ones own life. If you are not an old man, or if the notion comes from someone close rather than a medical doctor, then the caricature doesn't reach me. Or the disarming "sweetness" of being lulled in to the "self-hypnosis" of the old habits (coming back to the enchantment of shakti, a demonic proportion of it I mentioned recently in another topic) wins over in a similar way as it is quite usual to look those caricatures with the "good old grandpa", idea. Although I don't think people should go and try change the habits of elderly people, who are closing in the realms of death where the chances to make changes by our own Will is ending as the life of the outer body ends (see Atma's correspondence to the linga sharira) - the passage to carry the cross, for now, is at its final steps -, there lurks this idea in those reactions that we ourselves could stop caring and to some degree let our own duties slip away from our reach. Although there seems to be some seeming relaxation luring in there, to me it seems like a case of prolonged suffering. Miss your dishes again and again, and climbing that mountain of dishes will become harder and harder.
Zeraim wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:22 pmOne problem I seem to pick up from different discussions here at the SoA forum is that many of us, me included, tend to cling on to our problems. Diseases, sorrows, pains, inner conflicts etc. are part of life and we should be able to see and accept them. That is one of the most important aspects of growing and occult training. We should never ignore or turn blind eye to our problems. But we also should not continue clinging on them and make our identities based on them. We should not feed our “bad karma”. Clinging on to ones “negative” side prevents union of our being and hinders our developments as much as would ignoring the problems. In a way, we must work out our karma and one day be released from it.
It is really quite a hard thing to find the narrow path between the ignorance and clinging. Ignorance is quite obvious, though seldomly to the one doing it unconsciously or buried by fear that extends to blind or otherwise incapacitate onself. There the ignorance could look like an immense struggle not to be totally strangled by fear. "How is such a battle ignorance", one might ask, and the rabbit hole goes deeper and deeper in its levels of evasion. Clinging, on the other hand hides itself, as said, to identities and, I might add, ideals as building blocks of identities. But the positive thing is that one may still seek refuge in the ideals if one agrees to let the ideals be gradually purified. To seek truth is to let ones ideals be made of rock as well as the wind at the same time.

Thank you for sharing your knowldge on Chinese Medicine. I found the ideas very much grounding, especially those of finding balance amidst the basic things of diet, social place, feelings etc. Although there might have been some difference in schools and traditions where ideas of karma might have not been present, a synthesis of all these ideas is really what things should end up to. When I contemplate these different ideas of healing with rituals, modern medical science, meditation and application of holistic philosophies, I tend to see each aspect revealing different things, differently scaled things of the whole. Karma for example brings me more easily to the idea of diseases having some general causes, like certain type of spirits behind a disease (ideas followed to act in the world), while thinking of the unbalances in ones own life, I think more easily in the closed circle of my personal life and what has happened. Modern medicine on the other hand might recognize a virus causing certain diseases, which would be in my worldview a tiny worker executing the idea of the spirit I came to when thinking through karma.
"Would to God that all the Lord's people were Prophets”, Numbers 11:29 as echoed by William Blake
Soror O

Post by Soror O »

Thank you for contributing to the thread dear ones, unfortunately I don't have the time now to dive into every aspect of the conversation.
Nefastos wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:00 am
This might sound grim. But what is an illness and what is not is another deep question. We have Myshkin, we have Don Quijote, we have a whole legion of saintly madmen and people pressed down by bodily illnesses and injuries they have been able to turn into a special kind of power. There is actual no perfect state of health, since existence itself is already a blemish on the state of unbeing's perfect harmony.

So it comes to the "harmony of disharmony": how much imbalance can we take it and form it as a form of a new dance? Both harmony and disharmony are needed in order to be a person.

Yes, to declare oneself healthy and sane is a dangerous ground for things are in a constant motion, among other things. Just as is declaring some parts of one's karma "neutralized"... I thought that could descent into the hell consciously and be fire proof, I though that the hell of my adverse childhood and youth years would make me somehow untouchable when facing different kind of adversities and sickness working in foster care. Ofcourse I did realize that my nervoussystem is burnt, but I reckoned that I would overcome it with sheer light of my spirit. Hahah, what a stupid dream, once again. I didn't overcome anything. The organisation where I work is disordered, the kids are disordered, and we send them to their disordered parents to gain more disorder. Yet I reckoned that I would keep myself all intact. Of course I was moved, I was touched, I was re-arranged. Of course this was all expected, for I have taken on these quests before: exposing my equilibrium to dark currents way beyond my control. I developed respiratory disease and a rush - (as a sign of poorly constructed barriers and a disturbance of proper prana) - I thought that I'd be able to differentiate my own sicness from the sicness of the others - for this is also an important lesson, to draw lines, to dissolve, to be separate. But I did take it in. Just like I took in my parents disorders. And I became sickened. But the roots of the sickness lie within, buried deep. An therefore it is, for me, foolish to medicate the symptoms. For a symptom is a holy messenger. There is a leak. There is hidden movement, a motive. Motive that one cannot look into the eye.
Zeraim wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:22 pm Some of the early religious Taoist movements like Celestial Masters even prohibited some forms of healing (like acupuncture, moxibustion and herbs). They saw that it is much more effective to withdraw into partial seclusion, meditate and find the reason how one has transgressed Dao. The surviving evidence does not give any clear description what we call reincarnation or karma. The idea of transgressing Dao was more connected to dishonouring ancestors etc. and not living in harmony with ones Dao (or dharma) and other members of society. The way for re-entering the right path was connected more to repenting, “fixing” ones flaws/crimes, regaining balance and thus getting healed. This is very similar to idea that disease is caused by ones sins. Celestial masters also used rituals and magick for healing. It seems that Taiping-school also held similar ideas.
I found that the more I try to heal, the more sick I get. I try to save and heal the kids at work. How do you heal the roots of psychopathy in a kid? You don't. How do you save a kid? You don't. What it is that you can heal?

I have regarded this as my dharma, to shine the light where it is darkest. But I'm myself dark, the darkest spot there is. I have tried to save people just to damn myself to the task that is impossible. I have tried to save people to punish myself - for I'm not allowed to be a feel-good person in a world that is a living hell. Do I punish myself, for surviving my grappy childhood? The gates of the cage are open but I just love the familiarity of the torture too much?

This is the "first become a human then a god" -lesson, once again. I just cannot keep a neutral and nice mood in a world of violence and child molestation, that's all. Maybe some yoga will do, hahahah.
If you want to reborn, let yourself die.
Segel

Post by Segel »

What do you think of the term "emotional exhaustion", these symptoms are common in those who work as careworkers ..
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotional_exhaustion

Can careworkers have the same problem as what we may have in prayer that we think we know what is best for someone else even though we can not really know it?
Smaragd

Post by Smaragd »

Segel wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:25 pm What do you think of the term "emotional exhaustion", these symptoms are common in those who work as careworkers ..
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotional_exhaustion

Can careworkers have the same problem as what we may have in prayer that we think we know what is best for someone else even though we can not really know it?
On the above mentioned article there was a mention of a similar problem to careworkers emotional exhaustion, which appeared on a physical level. Olcott was ordered not to heal people anymore.
In October, he awoke to find his left forefinger devoid of any feeling. His healing cures now required more energy than previously and the number of failures increased. On instructions from his spiritual ‘teacher’ Olcott was ordered to suspend all healing.
I'm not a careworker so perhaps there's other forum users who could have a different and more interesting perspective on this, but generally speaking I think there's similarities and differing qualities between prayers as selfish wishes (our blindness to the bigger picture) and caretakers emotional exhaustion. I believe the search for the ethical grounds is about the most holistic way of action, so letting oneself to be vampirized is a different thing than making a sacred sacrifice within one's well structured karma yoga. There's energetical difference and there might be understanding that one can be of greater help when the work can continue steadily instead of unwisely burning oneself out fast. The self and the patient are both to be cared for. But ofcourse such example is simplistic as often careworkers have not much of a choice because the shortage of colleagues. Perhaps such situations of little choice demand greater differences to be made in the internal ways relating to the work. Definitely easier said than done, and surely there are a great amount of variables to each situation.
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Segel wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:25 pmCan careworkers have the same problem as what we may have in prayer that we think we know what is best for someone else even though we can not really know it?

Of course. On the other hand, especially the large scope of our present day treatment of sick has most likely made the doctors & nurses feel like they are neutral instruments. In good and bad, they seem to act like a neutral agent, too often without much personal will to make any change. People also seem to use this as a protective mask. It is quite sad, and has to do with the common de-personalization of our factory-like cultural state. Where people are not really individuals, but cogs in a machinery that is driven faster and more effective (more superficial and & exhausting) day by day. This is naturally bad. But using such neutrality might be also a vital thing for oneself to be able to act as a professional healer at least in our cotemporal institutions, if it's taken from a bit different angle. More relaxed, if you will.

This is about dharma, too, and one's tapping into it. Reminds me of that zen story about the doctor who felt exasperated that there was no end to his healing because people just never stopped becoming ill, until he was struck by realization that healing was just what he was supposed to do, and the result was not that important than the fact that he was accomplishing his dharma. But that can be quite a journey, to find out what one's dharma actually is and isn't. For example, I wouldn't last in healing/caretaking business a day, even though I naturally would very much like to easen everyone's suffering. My temperament is just wholly unsuitable.

Soror O wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:52 pmI just cannot keep a neutral and nice mood in a world of violence and child molestation, that's all.

This is one of the most important points in the whole philosophy of the Star of Azazel, Satanism on the path of ascension. Once again I come back to those strikingly good Buddhist metaphors: one cannot remain in a burning house, or a field of red-hot iron. There is something terribly wrong in the world, and we must try our utmost to find and remove that splinter in God's eye or spine or heart. Of course, such a process is also quite a (tragi-)comical one, since the attempt is as large as the world, and there are no actual villains to hunt, but the problem is much deeper than that.

I hope there will come the day (most likely out of this body) when I understand that violence & child molestation are karmic necessities that do not make the whole existence a hell, but I'm not holding my breath. But maybe I've taken one step in recent years when noticing how unable people seem to be taking notice unless they are factually suffering themselves. I think humanity as species is so primitive still that we just barely understand that there is something actually going on that is not just my own perception, but there are actual beings out there who have actual deep feelings. If empathy would be applied to our planet, it would shake it to the core; but it seems that only way to wake up that empathy is... suffering. And this is another paradox of Satanism. In order to lessen suffering, people must be allowed to suffer. (Also helps one to understand Saturn-Satan's aspect of time cycles: this will necessarily take also a huge amount of time, not just work. Too hastily applied suffering will just break one down and make a person even more selfish and cruel.)

Soror O wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:52 pmI found that the more I try to heal, the more sick I get. I try to save and heal the kids at work. How do you heal the roots of psychopathy in a kid? You don't. How do you save a kid? You don't. What it is that you can heal?

On the long run we are always doing our work with the ideas and energies more than personalities. One can seldom heal another person, but when we try to heal, we heal the substance of illness. Such an attempt is never wasted, when it is (paradoxically...) balanced with the patient's personal needs, i.e. their actual being. This is the usual reversal of the world: we must take individuality carefully into consideration, but when that is done, we are actually healing more than just the person. And in case we do not take the patient as an individual person who has individual needs, our attempts to heal will often fail to make the difference, even though that which we try to heal is more than just that person. A human being always stands between ourselves and the cosmos, so to say. (Which means, a human being is thus also our bridge to that cosmos or God.)