"Breaking and Entering"

Rational discussions on metaphysical and abstract topics.
Kavi

Re: "Breaking and Entering"

Post by Kavi »

I think Karamazov's brothers are not only essential books to read in lifetime but also handles so much of things central for SoA that I must read it one day.

Yet this kind of human nature that Grand Inquisitor is suggesting here is so negative and bleak, anti-mount sermonic - it declares that human is not a light of the world, but a ship that follows the beacon's light until it hits rocks. I guess this really hits home in someways like black metal band Mgla's worldview.
"What has to be done, has to be done. The human nature is what it is.. We cover our eyes in a call to arms and turn one edge towards ourselves". Yet I believe that double-edged sword: idealism - closing one's eyes or realism - seeing things how they truly are. Are not enough, the answer is not solely in the blade, I would say.
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Kavi wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:20 pmI think Karamazov's brothers are not only essential books to read in lifetime but also handles so much of things central for SoA that I must read it one day.

I heartily agree, brother.

Kavi wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:20 pmYet this kind of human nature that Grand Inquisitor is suggesting here is so negative and bleak, anti-mount sermonic - it declares that human is not a light of the world, but a ship that follows the beacon's light until it hits rocks.

Yes. In Brothers Karamazov, the three brothers manifest the different human principles, or fundamental attitudes that tend to go towards fanaticism (in good and bad). Dostoevsky's hero of the novel, Alexei, represents buddhi, love. Ivan – the Russian "John" – is intelligence or manas, and it is fanaticism of this manas that builds the "novel in the novel" (corresponding interestingly "city within city", Vatican of Rome), which is Grand Inquisitor, Dostoevsky's nightmare of the unseen masters of Roman Catholicism. In this the Russian authors of the late 19th century were quite unanimous. The Grand Inquisitor in Project Gutenberg is actually translated by Blavatsky. In her article in The Theosophist she presents Dostoevsky's idea soon after Dostoevsky's masterpiece had been published.

H.P. Blavatsky Collected Writings Vol. 3 wrote:[It appears that the suggestion to translate this passage from Dostoyevsky came from H.P.B.’s superiors. In a letter received by A. P. Sinnett at Simla, in August, 1881, from Master K.H. (The Mahatma Letters, pp. 204-07), occurs the following sentence: “The suggestion to translate the Grand Inquisitor is mine; for its author, on whom the hand of Death was already pressing when writing it, gave the most forcible and true description of the Society of Jesus that was ever given before. There is a mighty lesson contained in it for many and even you may profit by it.” –– Compiler.]

Those few people who have spotted the importance of this Kashmir adept's name in the SoA context may want to think about the connections, for they go particularly deep here.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Medeia

Post by Medeia »

During one of my drunken-despair-tantrums I threw a bibble of mine to wall so that the cover torn off. Later when somewhat sober I glued it back on upside down so that the christian cross on cover turnded to a sword cross. Inspired by that, proceeded on sewing a bookmark on it with a skull bead from mala which I had earlier broke too, drunk, of course, though not because of wrath but clumsiness (back then I lost or broke unintentionally many religious artefacts which was pretty disturbing to me at the time). Since then I have allowed myself to write notes on it’s pages and intending to draw some art on it once sharpen my skills to satisfactory level, maybe even with a pinch of blood (though I want first have some idea how stuff like that even works). Now it’s deffinately mine, more than a book and I’m quite fond of it.