Society and occultism

Putting together ones life with the modern world.
Polyhymnia

Re: Society and occultism

Post by Polyhymnia »

Benemal wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:20 pm
My overcompensation enables me to be annoyingly good at nitpicking about the misuse of words, or in this instance about the original meaning, which is white slaves, who got sunburned. We were enslaved by two empires, for over 800 years, so I suppose we're all a bunch of rednecks, or "frostbitenecks" ;) . Anyway, what the word currently means in North-America, we do have. Because I'm "juntti" myself, I can't really undersign what Kenazis said. I've got the "juntti" literally in my blood. No number of books read can ever erase it.
I had no idea about that original meaning. Thanks for enlightening me!
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
Cerastes

Post by Cerastes »

Benemal wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:20 pm Scientists have the right to believe in a flying spaghetti monster, just as scientologists have the right to believe, that Tom Cruise is an alien prophet.
Don't you dare blaspheme the holy flying shaghetti monster. The Pastafarians will dominate the world one day.
Hail to the mighty spaghetti monster!

Joke aside, I recently noticed a slight change in the mindset of science regarding occultism.
I feel that the triumphant advance of quantum mechanics has opened natural science a little more for different schools of thought. The idea of a deterministic world is thus refuted, because determinism is no longer mathematically possible in a quantum system; only probabilities can be defined. It is also clear that our “either or” thinking is not only incomplete but incorrect. Recently I heard a lecture of a great physicist who actually quoted Schelling. That was unthinkable for a while, because after all, Schelling counts as mystic. Since I never noticed pan(en)theistic thinking in this faculty before, I was delighted to hear this. Maybe it was there before but I did not see it.

By the way...It's a little oftopic but the symbol of a reduced Planck constant (->smallest possible spin) looks like Saturn ℏ and that's pretty cool because it makes sense on the mathematical as well as on the esoteric plane.
“Granny Weatherwax was not lost. She wasn't the kind of person who ever became lost. It was just that, at the moment, while she knew exactly where SHE was, she didn't know the position of anywhere else.”
(Terry Pratchett, Wyrd Sisters)
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

Cerastes wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:27 pm The Pastafarians will dominate the world one day.
I'll wipe the floor with those mops! :twisted:
Cerastes wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:27 pm Joke aside, I recently noticed a slight change in the mindset of science regarding occultism.
I feel that the triumphant advance of quantum mechanics has opened natural science a little more for different schools of thought. The idea of a deterministic world is thus refuted, because determinism is no longer mathematically possible in a quantum system; only probabilities can be defined. It is also clear that our “either or” thinking is not only incomplete but incorrect. Recently I heard a lecture of a great physicist who actually quoted Schelling.
It's a little difficult to keep up with all the quickly evolving landscape of science, very broadly speaking, because historical knowledge has largely turned on it's head recently too. It's weird how much has become reality, that was science fiction. Hard science fiction. The reality PKD showed us, was here first. It usually was just fiction, when reading it. Storytelling isn't supposed to be accurate in foretelling. Some of the breakthroughs are even a little banal, because I knew about it twenty years ago, and then when it happens, people seem surprised. This is the future, that was expected. They're even calling FTL space travel warp-drive. Made me laugh when I heard that.
But all that multidimensional quantum stuff is closer to the topic and a lot more difficult, than robots with eye-lasers. Medical science is very close to recognizing the fact, that human consciousness can exit the body, which means it's non-local. The brain is an instrument, that is necessary for consciousness to function in meatspace. That could affect atheism a little bit, because a lot of them seem to think nothing is real except money and meat. It's a little funny, that military intelligence was decades ahead of science, though of course they got the smartest pioneers, working on their secret remote-viewing and psychic spy attempts, which didn't really work out.
Probably some scientists, when reading something mindblowing, like Schelling, think that "this person is smarter than me, could that imply, that some of this crazy shit is real?". There's vast amounts of bullshit around in "academia" and the intellectual stale establishment. The smartest people have to try to talk about something interesting and new, in a way that doesn't make people too nervous. The pioneers are the enemies of pedopriests, like Dawkins.
Cerastes

Post by Cerastes »

Benemal wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:40 pm I'll wipe the floor with those mops!
This is Antipastaism! You will most likely burn in an eternal sea of arrabbiata sauce if you don't obey the noodly lord and saviour. :P
Benemal wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:40 pm Medical science is very close to recognizing the fact, that human consciousness can exit the body, which means it's non-local. The brain is an instrument, that is necessary for consciousness to function in meatspace. T
Oh, that’s an intersting topic.
I always enjoy seeing two different levels of knowledge meet and merge, so to speak. At first, religion had the power of interpretation, then natural science, and perhaps both parties will unite some day.
I'm a big fan of John Eccles, who has written a great, well-known book with Karl Popper.
The Self and Its Brain: An Argument for Interactionism
They are observing the mind/brain dualism the most fasinating and accurate way I’ve seen so far, focusing on the central problems from the very beginning, and impressive understanding of vast regions of knowledge. Eccles was a Catholic, so he certainly believed in a soul (he calles it mind) outside of the body and Popper was a great philosopher with a large knowledge on religion and science. If you didn't read this yet, you should.

"So I am constrained to believe that there is what we might call a supernatural origin of my unique self-conscious mind or my unique selfhood or soul; and that gives rise of course to a whole new set of problems... By this idea of a supernatural creation I escape from the incredible improbability that the uniqueness of my own self is genetically determined. There is the experienced self that requires this hypothesis of an independent origin of the self or soul, which is then associated with a brain, that becomes my brain. That is how the self comes to act as a self-conscious mind, working with the brain in all the ways that we have been discussing, receiving and giving to it and doing a marvellous integrating and driving and controlling job on the neural machinery of the brain."

Dammit, I violated the topic again.
Hm... maybe I should turn this into a new thread later on. It would be intesting to read different opinions on mind/brain theories.
“Granny Weatherwax was not lost. She wasn't the kind of person who ever became lost. It was just that, at the moment, while she knew exactly where SHE was, she didn't know the position of anywhere else.”
(Terry Pratchett, Wyrd Sisters)
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

Cerastes wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:08 pm This is Antipastaism! You will most likely burn in an eternal sea of arrabbiata sauce if you don't obey the noodly lord and saviour.
Sounds like this Italian deity is providing an infinite source of arrabbiata, which means there's a reason to worship him after all.

If I post again in this thread, I'll be completely serious and on-topic. :ugeek:
Medeia

Post by Medeia »

Cerastes wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:09 pm PS: In my imagination all Scandinavian countries are an occultist paradise, so don’t you dare destroy this illusion, Finns!
Since Johannes is obviously the most publicly know satanist of our culture this day and age, in that role I consider him as our “Anton LaVey of Finland” (or Crowley in that matter, but judging solely by appearences LaVey seems more appropriate comparison). This may or may not be very flattering tittle (personally I dig LaVey, “not so much” (at all) as an occultist but as a public figure/showman/troll he’s quite entertaining and successful) per se, but the point of this comparison is that in some degree it denotes our cultural stance towards satanism and the occult, which from this angle seems to me way healthier than I would dare to ask.