Necromancy

Rituals, spells, prayer, meditation and magical acts.
Nefastos

Necromancy

Post by Nefastos »

Dear brothers & guests, what are your thoughts on necromancy?

By necromancy I mostly refer to magical practices raising either spirits themselves or their energy, but not the trance-practices where one goes to the land of the dead himself. Necromancy in form of mediumism of seances, ouija-boards or trance-shamanism would perhaps fit better to "Psychic phenomena" topics, although we can easily split this topic later if you have thoughts on those & would like to share them here.

Earlier on I was extremely interested on this particular subject, & have thought about it a great deal & done some practice. Nowadays, though, I refrain from disturbing the spirits of the deceased, seeing it as hindering both to them & myself.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Medaal

Re: Necromancy

Post by Medaal »

(I'll try to post this again)

Yes Frater, I had my dealings with a sort of necromancy years ago when I was pushing street pharmaceuticals.

My thoughts on the ordeal was that it was a very crazy experience as I had found myself working for them more than they were working for me. It was a mutual thing but it was a crazy time for me. One thing that I took from this is that spirits of the dead are more nasty than demonic spirits. Perpahs it's a rage from once being human and being reminded of that; I don't know. But approaching them is not a matter to be taken lightly.
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

That's interesting, pray tell more!
Medaal wrote:One thing that I took from this is that spirits of the dead are more nasty than demonic spirits. Perpahs it's a rage from once being human and being reminded of that; I don't know. But approaching them is not a matter to be taken lightly.

I agree with W.P. Blatty that the "demons are spirits of deceased seeking return". The goetic spirits that have never been human lack the selfishness of individualized human beings. The chaos that the non-human demons sow is like a force of nature: there's something beautiful in it, because it's not tainted by pettiness of man. But those of us who die and do not rest easy, instead becoming passion-fueled vortices haunting their fellow people - they are the real demons in an almost Christian meaning of the word.

There are two types of necromancy, I think: that which summons the shells - ghosts, spectres or spirits - of the deceased, and that which summons their atavistic energy. The symbiosis that results in the former builds between the necromancer and the dead a bond that will likely twist the future of the both into some unpleasant experiences. As you said, "remind of being once human" is unwise to do: it turns the naturally downward stream of life that is bound to macrocosmic mortification into an artificial microcosmic vivification. It's almost similar to taking a foetus out of its mother's womb & then return it after some whim has been satisfied.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Bies

Post by Bies »

Nefastos wrote:
There are two types of necromancy, I think: that which summons the shells - ghosts, spectres or spirits - of the deceased, and that which summons their atavistic energy. The symbiosis that results in the former builds between the necromancer and the dead a bond that will likely twist the future of the both into some unpleasant experiences. As you said, "remind of being once human" is unwise to do: it turns the naturally downward stream of life that is bound to macrocosmic mortification into an artificial microcosmic vivification. It's almost similar to taking a foetus out of its mother's womb & then return it after some whim has been satisfied.
Very well worded "disclaimer" of sorts on this topic. I feel that this is a practice that is treated exceptionally poorly by North American would-be occultists, and is very selfish; relying upon and evoking/provoking the dead for the fulfillment of a whim or fancy, and not expecting any effect of a lingering energy/presence. It is not something so easily shrugged off.
"It was also given to him to make war with the saints and to overcome them, and authority over every tribe and people and tongue and nation was given to him."
Angolmois

Post by Angolmois »

I recently read an academic article about the relationship of Ódhinn and necromancy, and it seems that it was somewhat an established practice among Norse-Germanic rune magicians in the pre-historic times. The basis for this consensus lies in the Hávamal (The Words of the High One / Ódhinn) stanza 157 (or 158/159, depending on the translation), which reads:

"For the twelfth I know,
if on a tree I see
a corpse swinging from a halter,
I can so carve
and in runes depict,
that the man shall walk,
and with me converse."

This raised in me some interest for necromancy but I doubt I'll ever try to do any actual practice in that line of magic, for I think it is a very dangerous practice with many pitfalls and of little to no value in actual spiritual terms. I haven't read Nefastos' latest book but I know that there is one text in Apocrypha Lucifera that deals with necromancy. Are there actual guidelines for the practice in that text or is it more in a general manner that necromancy is spoken about in Apocrypha?
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Rúnatýr wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:12 pmI haven't read Nefastos' latest book but I know that there is one text in Apocrypha Lucifera that deals with necromancy. Are there actual guidelines for the practice in that text or is it more in a general manner that necromancy is spoken about in Apocrypha?

Guidelines. It's one of my oldest texts about occultism, from a period I was completely fascinated by necromancy. In both content & style a very Agrippan manual for correspondences & attitudes to be used in necromantic rituals.
Insanus

Post by Insanus »

Nefastos wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:00 pmBut those of us who die and do not rest easy, instead becoming passion-fueled vortices haunting their fellow people - they are the real demons in an almost Christian meaning of the word.
Recently in Red Book reading group, something similar came up. In the chapters Nox Secunda & Nox Tertia one of the ideas seemed (imo) to be that to trust intuition instead of reason was in itself already a sort of communication with the dead and that the subconscious mind itself is a multiplicity of spirits of the dead. It's common to hear that possessed people suddenly speak and understand some old language -like Latin- that they have not studied. Perhaps that kind of skill is a memory of a spirit? I'm just thinking about things like reincarnation and how learning and remembering are similar: for example, how trying to come up with something "out of the box", something creative and new feels a lot like trying hard to remember something. To what extent we are dead? Sometimes I do feel an influence of a "passion-fueled vortex" in some different sense than a repressed desire I'd recognize to be my own. Whether that's freudian id or some kind of symbiosis with the dead, I have no way of telling.
Jumalan synnit ovat kourallinen hiekkaa ihmisen valtameressä
Smaragd

Post by Smaragd »

Insanus wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:03 am
Nefastos wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:00 pmBut those of us who die and do not rest easy, instead becoming passion-fueled vortices haunting their fellow people - they are the real demons in an almost Christian meaning of the word.
Recently in Red Book reading group, something similar came up. In the chapters Nox Secunda & Nox Tertia one of the ideas seemed (imo) to be that to trust intuition instead of reason was in itself already a sort of communication with the dead and that the subconscious mind itself is a multiplicity of spirits of the dead. It's common to hear that possessed people suddenly speak and understand some old language -like Latin- that they have not studied. Perhaps that kind of skill is a memory of a spirit? I'm just thinking about things like reincarnation and how learning and remembering are similar: for example, how trying to come up with something "out of the box", something creative and new feels a lot like trying hard to remember something. To what extent we are dead? Sometimes I do feel an influence of a "passion-fueled vortex" in some different sense than a repressed desire I'd recognize to be my own. Whether that's freudian id or some kind of symbiosis with the dead, I have no way of telling.
Instead of trying to answer these ponderings, I’d like to inspect these questions from another perspective. Regarding the ”memory of a spirit”, it might open a view to the fourth aether (counting in ascending order), which is the ”memory aether”. Watching through the phenomena of the possessed speaking in tongues, I’m thinking the memory aether might relate to the shells of the dead, the skandhas (karmic clingings of the dead) and in this way be large part of the akashic libraries of the manvatara. Yet it doesn’t quite add up in my mind that aether – the solar phallos, would be the shell itself, for isn’t it almost the opposite, a complemetary pair? An answer I come to is that the dead are ofcourse some sort of energy also, remains of the once ruling phallic whole, and the different aethers, that are not definite part of a microcosmic solar phallos, would be sort of drifting powers that the microcosmic entities can interact in different ways. In a case of a medium possessed by the dead, the skandhas (and their karmic & dharmic proportions) are said to be mixed with the skandhas of the medium which sounds a bit like things becoming a rape like mess as the dead and the dharmic paths are distrubed in such a grotesque a way.

If the skandhas have such a connection with the akashic libraries as I (mistakenly?) thought above, is there entering the akashic libraries without distrubing the dead? This could be seen a complementary question to the one fra Insanus asked: "To what extent we are dead?"

I’ve understood mediumships have very large variance, and the possessing entities are sometimes some sort of guides that are invoked from within the ”solar phallic borders” of oneself, that will then aid the medium to contact with the drifting dead. This sort of mediumship I think is quite close to the necromancy outlined in the first post of this topic, as there is a formula that command the dead, although the command might rise the small spirit above ones humanity to command the necromancer herself.
"Would to God that all the Lord's people were Prophets”, Numbers 11:29 as echoed by William Blake