Interesting Times

Putting together ones life with the modern world.
Nefastos

Re: Interesting Times

Post by Nefastos »

Benemal wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:22 amMaybe the only solution would be to go off-line.

I've always claimed that the cultural revolution we know as Internet has added another level to our existence; it (this) is the astral world. Once attained culturally, such a fundamental change cannot be undone. Should the global crisis reach the climax of destruction, the new life sprouting from the ashes would recreate this invention in one form or the other. This is not just a gimmick for kicks & anguish, this is the Skynet you spoke about.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Mars

Post by Mars »

I was just thinking about Twin Peaks, again, and how in season 3 there are dreams upon dreams and realities upon realities, somewhere crossing each other. It seems that we are in the same place now. Our shared reality, flimsy as it was, is shattered and vast amounts of people live in different realities, or dreams.
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

Nefastos wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:07 amSkynet
Skynet and Skynet too, China's cyberstasi. I don't mean anything political. I mean reality meterializing from the imagined. They have literal spybirds. Used to mean satellites, but now there's fake birds, with facial recognition scanners. I'm sure as soon there's AI, it'll be running Skynet, and then we could have a nuclear war, started by Skynet. That would be the funniest joke ever. It could make me believe in God (or simulation theory). Reality is crazier, than the conspiracy theories. Like I've claimed before, this is what PKD wrote about.
Kavi

Post by Kavi »

There's been some topics about superintelligence too and everything seems on one perspective going into dystopian future akin to Warhammer 40k.
There's real threats in physical world and mostly we live now in very uncertain times where certain physical and if one might esoterically think - hidden powers - are changing courses and this causes anxiety in many of us. It causes also change in us. I think there is crisis in man. I never believed in idea of humanity purging itself, yet this thought is still alive, I think, in many of us.

I saw once a video that argued for that we live in some kind of medieval time now. I have been thinking of something similar. There are some business models that work almost like during feudal times and even if you can check facts and increase one's knowledge it seems we dwell more and more in anti-intellectualism.
But I think maybe during middle age everything wasn't that bad: Priests might have not been as backwards as we portrait them nowadays and there was always a catalyst that brought us to next era and to idea of humanism. Yet it is not a guarantee that things always evolve and progress to better. Nevertheless I understand the fear.

Although there might be cunning dark entities awaiting I see this as a challenge, a question, a problem that was given for us.
I still think it's the best time to be alive and I refuse to be in doomer mentality who just waits everything to be destroyed instead of trying to do the best one can on own terms. World wasn't and isn't that good place for many who happened to live in other regions but now these clouds are coming over to us, now that we are more globally aware and with them the breezing words and questions come.
In this way I also take the perspective of Alice.
Angolmois

Post by Angolmois »

Kavi wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:26 am I still think it's the best time to be alive and I refuse to be in doomer mentality who just waits everything to be destroyed instead of trying to do the best one can on own terms.
I must also clarify and emphasize - referring to my post - that I don't believe in Absolute doom, although I believe we'll be seeing that side also in lesser or greater scale. And one must never stop striving oneself toward the better either. These times are nevertheless good times to focus in spiritual and esoteric development individually, which will pave the way for a clearer future.
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Kavi wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:26 amwe live in some kind of medieval time now. I have been thinking of something similar. There are some business models that work almost like during feudal times and even if you can check facts and increase one's knowledge it seems we dwell more and more in anti-intellectualism.
But I think maybe during middle age everything wasn't that bad: Priests might have not been as backwards as we portrait them nowadays and there was always a catalyst that brought us to next era and to idea of humanism. Yet it is not a guarantee that things always evolve and progress to better. Nevertheless I understand the fear.

These are excellent points.

I remember the feeling that I started to have about eight years ago: that we are living in prehistoric, antediluvian times. I had so strong feeling of primitivity around that, as I said back then, I wouldn't have surprised seeing dinosaurs towering above our the asphalt streets. But even though that feeling of the regressed atmosphere was despairing, it was also intriguing, and made me to also turn deeper inside my own personal regressions & my own primitive darkness, to find things I had lost or never achieved in this life. And that turned out to be a very important part of my own path, which is still going on. In the other words:
Rúnatýr wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:06 pmThese times are nevertheless good times to focus in spiritual and esoteric development individually, which will pave the way for a clearer future.

For the reason that something is true (for example, the fact that we live quite bleak times ethico-intellectually), does not mean that we should remain pondering that fact too much. When it is understood, we can nod, and then work from that basis. For times change eventually, and sooner if we work individually to change them.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"