Hermes lodge reading circles

Discussion on literature other than by the Star of Azazel.
Wyrmfang

Hermes lodge reading circles

Post by Wyrmfang »

Hello everyone!

I think it is time to start another reading circle besides Faivre´s book. As usual, it will be open for everyone who feels as having the capability and consistency to participate. I will offer three alternative; please shout which one is of interest to you. It is possible that we begin two books at once, depending on responses. These are more or less general works on esotericism, next time I think it will be more mainstream philosophy.

Wouter Hanegraaff: Western Esotericism
This one is another general introduction, hopefully better than Faivre´s book we are currently going through. It belongs to the "guide to the perplexed" series which covers a wide range of topics.

Frances Yates: Giordano Bruno and the Hermetic Tradition
Yates is one of the few scholars who wrote before Faivre began the current enthusiasm for esotericism in the academic world. As the title suggests, it covers a particular although still wide tradition.

Per Faxneld: Satanic Feminism
This one hardly needs introduction. The work has already been discussed here: https://www.azazel.fi/discussion/viewto ... f=13&t=477. I know this book probably evokes the most interest, but please notice two things before voting this one: (1) The work is long and dense, and it consists in relatively long chapters. Please make it sure you have the time and consistency to actually go through this one. (2) The topic easily evokes controversy, so be cautious and polite, as people were in the mentioned discussion.
obnoxion

Re: Hermes lodge reading circles

Post by obnoxion »

I would do the "Satanic Feminism", if the pace would be chapter per month or slower.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

In the last few days I have been thinking about starting to read Yeates' "Giordano Bruno & the Hermetic Tradition", so the timing for this couldn't be better. But since the forum fairies have decided that it's usually almost impossible for me to log in, sometimes I might have to send my thoughts via someone else.

I might also consider joining the Faxneld circle, in case that gets to be picked instead.

Like Obnoxion, I too cannot join to a very hectic reading circle. We just started to go through the Bible with my mother, & I have commented the first 25 chapters of Genesis in three days. A great thing to do, but somewhat time consuming. While this is going on, viz. the next two years, the other reading circles must take a slower pace.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Nefastos wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:28 pm In the last few days I have been thinking about starting to read Yeates' "Giordano Bruno & the Hermetic Tradition", so the timing for this couldn't be better. But since the forum fairies have decided that it's usually almost impossible for me to log in, sometimes I might have to send my thoughts via someone else.

I might also consider joining the Faxneld circle, in case that gets to be picked instead.
I've already read 1/3 of "Giordano Bruno & The Hermetic Tradition", and I have found it fascinsting. So I'm game with that too, though I'd prefer Faxneld at the moment.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

Wyrmfang wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:45 pm Hello everyone!

I think it is time to start another reading circle besides Faivre´s book. As usual, it will be open for everyone who feels as having the capability and consistency to participate. I will offer three alternative; please shout which one is of interest to you. It is possible that we begin two books at once, depending on responses. These are more or less general works on esotericism, next time I think it will be more mainstream philosophy.

Wouter Hanegraaff: Western Esotericism
This one is another general introduction, hopefully better than Faivre´s book we are currently going through. It belongs to the "guide to the perplexed" series which covers a wide range of topics.

Frances Yates: Giordano Bruno and the Hermetic Tradition
Yates is one of the few scholars who wrote before Faivre began the current enthusiasm for esotericism in the academic world. As the title suggests, it covers a particular although still wide tradition.

Per Faxneld: Satanic Feminism
This one hardly needs introduction. The work has already been discussed here: https://www.azazel.fi/discussion/viewto ... f=13&t=477. I know this book probably evokes the most interest, but please notice two things before voting this one: (1) The work is long and dense, and it consists in relatively long chapters. Please make it sure you have the time and consistency to actually go through this one. (2) The topic easily evokes controversy, so be cautious and polite, as people were in the mentioned discussion.
My vote is for Yates! I would indeed like to delve into Satanic Feminism at some point, but the former has been on my list for some time. I'm happy to read most anything though, so won't be disappointed by whatever wins the vote!
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
Kenazis

Post by Kenazis »

slow pace Faxneld perhaps.
"We live for the woods and the moon and the night"
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

I went ahead and ordered Satanic Feminism, mainly to add to my collection, but if it gets chosen as the next book then that's a bonus and I'm all set :D I ordered it and Amazon shipped it the next day. I don't have Prime or anything, so that was a very welcome surprise, indeed!
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
Wyrmfang

Post by Wyrmfang »

It seems Faxneld is slightly more popular than Yates, so perhaps we could begin now with Faxneld (I think a chapter per month would be good), and begin also with Yates after we have finished with Faivre.
Wyrmfang

Post by Wyrmfang »

Now that we are in the very end of both Faivre´s and Faxneld´s books, it might be the time to return to Yates. Who would be ready to start with Frances Yates´ Giordano Bruno and the Hermetic Tradition?
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

That sounds great to me