What are you listening to at the moment?

Visual arts, music, poetry and other forms of art.
Polyhymnia

Re: What are you listening to at the moment?

Post by Polyhymnia »

obnoxion wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:02 am Those first releases are golden!
I really like them, too. For different reasons than I like the mentioned titles, but I still enjoy them regularly.
Nefastos wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:24 pm Madonna's Ray of Light music video. The song itself is okay, as are the lyrics, but in this case what made a huge impression on me was the video. I remember vividly how it was just the time when I emerged from my tomb of necrosophia when I first watched this (2005?). It depicts awfully well the so-called profane world as I experience it. Oversaturation of energy makes everything seem like this; at the same time pointless and on the other hand holy quicksilver movement, which – I think this must be the third hand – also is just a woman (Goddess) dancing in everything. This makes me happy.
This song is from the Madonna album I like the best. My friends make fun of me for it. I love it, though. I remember seeing the video for Frozen, and my 11 year old mind truly thought I had stumbled upon the most magnificent thing.
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

I was thinking if someone would bring Frozen to discussion when I mentioned Madonna music videos. :) Yes, it is the best I know. Really touching, and presents perfectly my vision of best death/afterlife possible: to disintegrate into a flock of birds in flight.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

I think it’s safe to say Madonna in that video was the seed planted for my entire future aesthetic :lol: My tastes may have become more extreme over times, but it can all be traced back to her. And the Smashing Pumpkins Adore era, which would have been right around that time.

Which may actually be a good contribution for our occult music thread!
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

I spent as long as I could last night listening to the Stalaggh/Galaggh releases sampling screams of patients from the mental institute one of the members worked at. Last night was the first I had heard of the project, even though I believe the first of the trilogy (Projekt Nihil) was released back in 2003. It made me uncomfortable, to say the least. At about the 20 minute mark I started to feel nauseous. Has anyone else listened to these? I would love to hear some thoughts. I'm hesitant to link it as I imagine the subject matter could be very distressing for some. Before I listened to it I thought the title of "scariest or most awful" music in the world was overinflated, because screams of the mentally unsound aren't always sounds of distress. I felt that layering those screams alongside dark ambient sounds and industrial noise may have only served to create a scarier narrative than actually existed, effectively sensationalizing those screams.
Overthinking aside, I think what they were going for was very effective. I really did feel ill for awhile after. Some music feels good on the soul. This one did not. For me, anyway. Immediately afterwards I put on some 2 Live Crew and watched a tiny desk concert featuring Randy Newman singing She Chose Me. It worked. I felt better.
Angolmois

Post by Angolmois »

Polyhymnia wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:18 pm I spent as long as I could last night listening to the Stalaggh/Galaggh releases sampling screams of patients from the mental institute one of the members worked at. Last night was the first I had heard of the project, even though I believe the first of the trilogy (Projekt Nihil) was released back in 2003. It made me uncomfortable, to say the least. At about the 20 minute mark I started to feel nauseous. Has anyone else listened to these? I would love to hear some thoughts. I'm hesitant to link it as I imagine the subject matter could be very distressing for some. Before I listened to it I thought the title of "scariest or most awful" music in the world was overinflated, because screams of the mentally unsound aren't always sounds of distress. I felt that layering those screams alongside dark ambient sounds and industrial noise may have only served to create a scarier narrative than actually existed, effectively sensationalizing those screams.
Overthinking aside, I think what they were going for was very effective. I really did feel ill for awhile after. Some music feels good on the soul. This one did not. For me, anyway. Immediately afterwards I put on some 2 Live Crew and watched a tiny desk concert featuring Randy Newman singing She Chose Me. It worked. I felt better.
The first time I was in a mental institution back in 2012, the nurses made me stop singing hymns to Odin in my room because it made other patients scary. I guess I should have been in the battle field as a berserker at the time (I was certainly going through a spiritual warfare that's for sure, being visited by dark apparitions and all that).
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

Boreas wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:32 pm
The first time I was in a mental institution back in 2012, the nurses made me stop singing hymns to Odin in my room because it made other patients scary. I guess I should have been in the battle field as a berserker at the time (I was certainly going through a spiritual warfare that's for sure, being visited by dark apparitions and all that).
That’s very fascinating, and I thank you for sharing. If it’s not too personal a question, might I ask if your singing was anguished? I’m curious for the reason I theorized earlier; that not every scream is an anguished one. Some sounds, though primal, can be screams of ecstasy, or even someone’s indifferent yet preferred reaction. I just find it interesting that the general reaction to those sounds seems to be fright to some degree. I guess it’s unknown territory, and that in itself makes it scary.
Angolmois

Post by Angolmois »

Polyhymnia wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:23 pmIf it’s not too personal a question, might I ask if your singing was anguished?
Not at all, it was quite celebratory in nature. Invocations, if you will.

I have certainly witnessed the anguished kind of screams and tremblings.

And for the record, the reason I'm being so open about these things in public is because I want to set a cautionary example that there are veritable dangers in the occult. I know for certain that I've been attacked and I couldn't handle it.
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

Polyhymnia wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:18 pm I spent as long as I could last night listening to the Stalaggh/Galaggh releases sampling screams of patients from the mental institute one of the members worked at. Last night was the first I had heard of the project, even though I believe the first of the trilogy (Projekt Nihil) was released back in 2003. It made me uncomfortable, to say the least. At about the 20 minute mark I started to feel nauseous. Has anyone else listened to these?
I listened to those back in the 00's, when I was looking for and listening to a lot of dark industrial and noise stuff. Wasn't particularly interesting, more a curiosity. Much better things have stayed with me, like Anenzephalia's "Emphemeral Dawn", from 1995. Still one of my all-time favorites. Pure darkness. I'm sure that was a big influence to Akira Yamaoka, who did Silent Hill soundtracks.
Of course, I would rather listen to insane people making noise, than Madonna. That reminds me of Masonna's first record "Like A Vagina" released the same year,1987, as Madonna's "Like A Virgin" with even a mock cover. That kind of thing warms my heart.
In Australia in 1978, a mental hospital orderly and a schizophrenic patient decide to start a band together, called SPK. This is my favorite track they did together:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69D3x5ABK0M
Soon the patient man killed himself. Graeme Revell later became a succesfull composer of film music and also did the music of CSI Miami.
More screaming; James Plotkin's and Runnhilde Gammelsaeter's Khlyst is another all-time favorite. I'm saying that too much, but I really have so many of them. They did just the one album "Chaos Is My Name" in 2006, so the scarcity makes it even more dear and it's also unique. Runnhilde sounds like an evil witch, whom I'd like to marry and make evil little babies, in the woods, around a cauldron.
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

Boreas wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:41 pm
And for the record, the reason I'm being so open about these things in public is because I want to set a cautionary example that there are veritable dangers in the occult. I know for certain that I've been attacked and I couldn't handle it.
Cautionary tales are greatly appreciated. I have been fortunate enough to not yet experience a serious attack I couldn’t handle. Sometimes it gets pretty dark, but it’s hard for me to tell how much is a manifestation of preexisting mental illness and how much is external.

Benemal wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:10 pm
I listened to those back in the 00's, when I was looking for and listening to a lot of dark industrial and noise stuff. Wasn't particularly interesting, more a curiosity. Much better things have stayed with me, like Anenzephalia's "Emphemeral Dawn", from 1995. Still one of my all-time favorites. Pure darkness. I'm sure that was a big influence to Akira Yamaoka, who did Silent Hill soundtracks.
Of course, I would rather listen to insane people making noise, than Madonna. That reminds me of Masonna's first record "Like A Vagina" released the same year,1987, as Madonna's "Like A Virgin" with even a mock cover. That kind of thing warms my heart.
In Australia in 1978, a mental hospital orderly and a schizophrenic patient decide to start a band together, called SPK. This is my favorite track they did together:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69D3x5ABK0M
Soon the patient man killed himself. Graeme Revell later became a succesfull composer of film music and also did the music of CSI Miami.
More screaming; James Plotkin's and Runnhilde Gammelsaeter's Khlyst is another all-time favorite. I'm saying that too much, but I really have so many of them. They did just the one album "Chaos Is My Name" in 2006, so the scarcity makes it even more dear and it's also unique. Runnhilde sounds like an evil witch, whom I'd like to marry and make evil little babies, in the woods, around a cauldron.
Whoa, I will check all these out. Originally I was researching for a fun side project, podcast style, where I cover the bizarre and the sublime in music, but after this discussion I don’t think I could ever go deep enough to truly do that topic justice.
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

There are some songs that I enjoy immensely, not only because they are good, but because they've gotten new meanings for me. For example:

ULTRAVOX: "The Voice". This goes especially BBC's live concert where Midge Ure sings it with orchestra. As I've had the idea to associate with "Voice" the Tantric concept of Vac, it has become a sort of religious hymn. When done with the orchestra, it realy captures the enthusiasm I exprerience when reading the tantras

AC/DC: "Thunderstruck". I've had the idea to interpret the thunder as rudrashakti, Texas with Kamarupa, ladies with Dakinis, fun with ananda, "playing all the fools" with skillfull means and "breaking all the rules" with left handed conduct.

WASP: "Wild Child". This I see as a love song by foreign gods to people of ancient Israel, while Jahve is the cuckold. First verse is by Baal:

I ride, I ride the wind to bring the rain
A creature of love and I can't be tamed
I want you, cause I'm gonna take your love from him
When I touch your face with hot burning skin
No, he'll never ever touch you like I do
So look in my eyes and burn alive the truth

And second verse and the rest by Moloch:

you tell me.you tell me the lies you're telling him when you
Run away 'cause I wanna know
Cause I, I'm sure it's killing him to find
That you run to me when he lets you go
'Cause I'm burning, burning, burning up with fire
So - come turn me on and turn the flames up higher

A naked heat machine, I want your love
When the moons arise we'll feel just what it does at midnight

I don't know if any of you make songs your own like this, but I enjoy it.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.