What are you listening to at the moment?

Visual arts, music, poetry and other forms of art.
Benemal

Re: What are you listening to at the moment?

Post by Benemal »

Nefastos wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:59 pm So that is the reason why I listened to the awesome True Faith for months in a row.
Are trying to drag back in time the taint of 90's garbage, to the beautiful 80's New Order? I'm guessing I know both reasons why you like Baywatch. I myself am able to see through the veil of mammary maya, even though I still have one foot in the cave. Perhaps it´s because of my close relationship with mother nature and attaining spiritual and bodily purity, that I´m not so easily distracted by illusory child-nurturing capabilities, but only sometimes admire natural beauty, out of love and respect, like a true civilized gentlecaveman. I suppose even the wisest of us can fall victim to enhanced atavism.

Speaking of New Order, it was at first pretty hard to believe that's almost the same band as Joy Division. New Order pretty much everyone would have heard in movies and tv, starting in childhood. I was already a fan of Joy Division, when I found out, this incredible fact. Imagine you were listening to Ulver's Bergtatt and Nattens Madrigal and then after that they changed their name to Hunder, or DJ Nightwolf, and started doing electronic stuff and you didn't know it was the same band. (btw I liked that techno stuff too.)
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Benemal wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:23 am Speaking of New Order, it was at first pretty hard to believe that's almost the same band as Joy Division.
Have you seen the 2002 movie 24 Hour Party People? It is a sort of light movie about music scene in Manchester during 1977 - 97, beginning from the first Sex Pistols shows and documenting the story of The Factory Records. Joy Division and its evolution into New Order is a major plot line in the film. Half documentary, half comedy. I've seen it a few times and really enjoyed it.

Sean Harris plays Ian Curtis, and he is as good in the role as he was as Micheletto Corell in the Borgias -series.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Benemal wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:23 amAre trying to drag back in time the taint of 90's garbage, to the beautiful 80's New Order?

Huh? It's hard to say since I only know that one song... But most likely yes, since I really like that 90's pop garbage too. Isn't What Is Love just the best song ever?

Benemal wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:23 amI'm guessing I know both reasons why you like Baywatch.

In my case that regression-fascination is so intense that I am enthralled just by the idea of Baywatch without ever seeing a single episode.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

obnoxion wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:37 am Have you seen the 2002 movie 24 Hour Party People? It is a sort of light movie about music scene in Manchester during 1977 - 97, beginning from the first Sex Pistols shows and documenting the story of The Factory Records. Joy Division and its evolution into New Order is a major plot line in the film. Half documentary, half comedy. I've seen it a few times and really enjoyed it.

Sean Harris plays Ian Curtis, and he is as good in the role as he was as Micheletto Corell in the Borgias -series.
Yes, I like that film and that actor. I like new music from Manchester too, particularly the very British post-dubstep stuff, or whatever they're calling it this week. Control is pretty good Joy Division film also.
Nefastos wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:50 pm Huh? It's hard to say since I only know that one song... But most likely yes, since I really like that 90's pop garbage too. Isn't What Is Love just the best song ever?
That New Order/Baywatch debacle was 1993. True Faith is 1987. Did you pick that up from American Psycho? They have other great tracks besides that.
Haddaway is allright. That causes some nostalgic feelings. But not as much as Insomnia, for example (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8JEm4d6Wu4). That is as mainstream as I'll go. I was, and still am into 90's electronic music of many genres. This is something from 1993, that I love: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZKV4KIeIrU
Nefastos wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:50 pm In my case that regression-fascination is so intense that I am enthralled just by the idea of Baywatch without ever seeing a single episode
So you're a fan without even watching? You can imagine it? You don't need to see it? No, you don't.
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Benemal wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:10 pmInsomnia
Have heard it on the radio three times in the last two days. Each time turned up the volume. A timeless piece of music.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

obnoxion wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:30 pm Have heard it on the radio three times in the last two days. Each time turned up the volume. A timeless piece of music.
I had not heard it in a very long time (I don't listen to the radio), but last summer I was in a party in a park, in foreign land and I had just smoked weed and then the DJ put on Insomnia, and the feeling was quite amazing. Everyone started dancing (except me and a couple of other guys, who just sat on the grass). It was weird sitting in the middle of the "danceground" too stoned to move, suddenly being very strongly reminded of seeing them live in 1998. At that moment it meant a lot more, than back twenty years before. Also felt kind of too old.
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Benemal wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:10 pmThat New Order/Baywatch debacle was 1993. True Faith is 1987. Did you pick that up from American Psycho? They have other great tracks besides that.

No, my lady friend pointed it out to me. I have only read the book.

Benemal wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:10 pmSo you're a fan without even watching? You can imagine it? You don't need to see it? No, you don't.

I'm pretty convinced my imagination is better without confused with reality, in this case as in many others.

Benemal wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:26 pm...reminded of seeing them live in 1998. At that moment it meant a lot more, than back twenty years before. Also felt kind of too old.

In 1998, the only thing I did was to sit home reading and planned about going to monastery. This might be one key to understand my later need for things that explicitly lack in depth.

L'Esperanza made me think about Jarre's great Oxygene. Of course the video helped the allusion.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

Nefastos wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:00 pm In 1998, the only thing I did was to sit home reading and planned about going to monastery. This might be one key to understand my later need for things that explicitly lack in depth.
What I meant was that these memories - as I sit a at home reading - have become gilded, and a little selective. But also because these adventures were kind of rough, it now seems I couldn't do it anymore and I'm happy I did when I was young. These bands and artists don't exist anymore (or it's comeback nostalgia) and these events have become safe castrated bland mainstream. Back in the 90's people died at rock festivals. Ok clearly this is old man saying things used to be better, and I might be too young still, to do that. But someone saying to kids in the 90's that Woodstock was a proper event, would have been right also. On the trip I mentioned, it got frustrating, sitting around with latte in hand and I started thinking I'm too young for this, something else has to happen, and I certainly got what I wanted, and got permanent damage too, which I take as a hint.

I think I understand, that things that "explicitly lack depth" are a kind of antidote for you, to perhaps an unnecessarily long period of spiritual and bodily "purity". My joking about it earlier was meant to be self-deprecating, rather than about anyone else's life. I have not experienced such a life, but for some reason this "antidote" I keep needing frequently and in large doses.

I did intend to say something about black metal, for a change. I listened to some, in a very deliberate way, not organic. Reason was the techno dripping out of my ears, that turns to plastic dust of the future. Black metal was supposed to blow away the technodust. I chose Mgla and Kriegsmaschine. I'm listening to this stuff thinking this is good, why doesn't it do things to me anymore? I don't want that to be over. I want that empowerment. So I get bored and put on some psychedelic techno mix. I'll mention one record from recent years, that I do get something from: Exuvia, by Ruins Of Beverast.
Cerastes

Post by Cerastes »

Nefastos wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:00 pm In 1998, the only thing I did was to sit home reading and planned about going to monastery. This might be one key to understand my later need for things that explicitly lack in depth.
Did you actually go to monastery or did you just plan to go there?
I‘m asking because it is hard for me to imagine that a young man would want to go to monastery by own will. I often had discussions about this with my grandma who wanted me to go there at least for a few months of silent retreat.
Benemal wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:20 pm I did intend to say something about black metal, for a change. I listened to some, in a very deliberate way, not organic. Reason was the techno dripping out of my ears, that turns to plastic dust of the future. Black metal was supposed to blow away the technodust. I chose Mgla and Kriegsmaschine. I'm listening to this stuff thinking this is good, why doesn't it do things to me anymore? I don't want that to be over. I want that empowerment. So I get bored and put on some psychedelic techno mix. I'll mention one record from recent years, that I do get something from: Exuvia, by Ruins Of Beverast.

I often thought that listening to music for a certain purpose somehow ruins it. I usually make intuitive decisions about which music I want to hear and sometimes I listen to the same songs over and over again.
Contrasts can make music more intense but I still abhor mawkish love songs and I cannot stand 90’s pop music (not even on PMS).
Techno is bearable with a very high amount of weed.
The worst ear torture I’ve been through so far was 6 hours of Bollywood music in India.
The high voices and annoying flutes make me want to jump off a bridge. The sound reminded me on the fire alarm in public buildings.

At the moment I’m listing to the new Tool album. I visited their concert in Prague. The laser show was very impressive and the mixture of occult symbolism, different colors and the great music was definitely worth the high ticket price.
“Granny Weatherwax was not lost. She wasn't the kind of person who ever became lost. It was just that, at the moment, while she knew exactly where SHE was, she didn't know the position of anywhere else.”
(Terry Pratchett, Wyrd Sisters)
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

I was just playing on repeat (one of my mother's favourite bands from her teenage years) Nazareth's "Heir of the Dog" while driving home from the night shift. It really is a great rock song. The melody of verse clearly lends from Rolling Stones' "Brown Sugar" chorus. And I think Guns 'N' Roses ows a lot to this song, both on vocal style and on the attitude. Their song "You Could be Mine" could have practically been sang by the same character that sings the "Heir of the Dog", because the attitude and the voice are both there almost exactly.

I am not criticizing, though. This sort of intertextuality belongs to Rock 'n Roll. It is a Devil's tradition that began at the crossroads. One ought to refer back to those early sounds, because that's where the magic comes from. Actually, I think Hoffman's solo in Sodom's "Better off Dead" does just that. It could very well be from some early G'NR song. And parts of it almost bring to mind Rolling Stones. I was really surprised by that sort of agelesss rock solo when I first heard it.