Golden Dawn

Convictions, morals, other societies and religions.
Nefastos

Re: Golden Dawn

Post by Nefastos »

RasmusLilja wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:40 amSitä on tutkittava noin 10 vuotta. Kuten tavallisessa koulussa. Sitten ehkä voit tehdä jotain.

= "You have to study it about 10 years. Just like in a regular school. Then, perhaps, you are able to do something."

In English, please, on this side of the forum.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

I 100% google translated it :lol:

Honestly, google does a pretty decent job. It's the only way I'm able to get a glimpse at the Demons' Cube discussion. I know everything in it's own time, but sometimes patience is a hard virtue for me to practice.

Indeed 10+ years of study. I picked up an interest in the GD about 7 years ago now and have really only skimmed the surface. It's easy to get distracted as a solitary practitioner, especially when the material is very dense and acts of heavy self discipline are required to properly begin initiation.
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

I have taken a new interest to GD materials. This certainly does not mean I am going through a curriculum of self-initiations. I used to have a steday practice of some of the basic GD rituals for some years (lmainly lesser and greater banishings of pentagram and hexagram and the middle pillar), and now I'm looking of incorprating its materials into a Tarot-based practices.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

obnoxion wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:17 pm I have taken a new interest to GD materials. This certainly does not mean I am going through a curriculum of self-initiations. I used to have a steday practice of some of the basic GD rituals for some years (lmainly lesser and greater banishings of pentagram and hexagram and the middle pillar), and now I'm looking of incorprating its materials into a Tarot-based practices.
Very neat! So much of what I practice is still firmly rooted in GD rituals. I've learned so much this past year in the SoA, things that I hadn't even considered to learn or spend time on, and I feel that my time spent studying the GD has really given me a solid foundation on which to build.

Have you listened to any of Regardie's audiobooks or read any of his titles?
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Polyhymnia wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:09 am
obnoxion wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:17 pm I have taken a new interest to GD materials. This certainly does not mean I am going through a curriculum of self-initiations. I used to have a steday practice of some of the basic GD rituals for some years (lmainly lesser and greater banishings of pentagram and hexagram and the middle pillar), and now I'm looking of incorprating its materials into a Tarot-based practices.
Very neat! So much of what I practice is still firmly rooted in GD rituals. I've learned so much this past year in the SoA, things that I hadn't even considered to learn or spend time on, and I feel that my time spent studying the GD has really given me a solid foundation on which to build.

Have you listened to any of Regardie's audiobooks or read any of his titles?
When one thinks about it, the influence of the GD on Western Occultism is so overwhelming that if one could somehow make the GD disappear, much on contemporary occultism would simply collapse. And one must add that the people involved with the GD were quite exceptional on any standards, let alone in comparison to other magical orders since, perhaps, the Rosicrucianism during the pubmication of their three manifestos.

I've read much of Regardie, and I just bought back a new edition of the Complete Golden Dawn. Though a bigger influence has been Paul Foster Case's original books, "Tarot: A Key to the Wisdom of the Ages" and "The True and Invisible Rosicrucian Order". It was Case who sparked my interest in gematria, and I think I've taken his inspiration and gone quite far with it.

And I also must mention Eliphas Levi, who is a huge influence both as he is, and through his influence on the GD. I appreciate a vivid imagination and originality in an accomplished occultist and I think Case and Levi had that. Regardie's virtues are different, I think. He clarified and systemized a massive amount of material, and in many ways saved it from the threat of obscuritism. Perhaps that is one of the good things Regardie got from Crowley - the ideal of "magick without tears", so to speak.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

obnoxion wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:53 am I've read much of Regardie, and I just bought back a new edition of the Complete Golden Dawn. Though a bigger influence has been Paul Foster Case's original books, "Tarot: A Key to the Wisdom of the Ages" and "The True and Invisible Rosicrucian Order". It was Case who sparked my interest in gematria, and I think I've taken his inspiration and gone quite far with it.

And I also must mention Eliphas Levi, who is a huge influence both as he is, and through his influence on the GD. I appreciate a vivid imagination and originality in an accomplished occultist and I think Case and Levi had that. Regardie's virtues are different, I think. He clarified and systemized a massive amount of material, and in many ways saved it from the threat of obscuritism. Perhaps that is one of the good things Regardie got from Crowley - the ideal of "magick without tears", so to speak.
Ah, and just like that my must acquire book list for the year has gotten substantially bigger! I don't know how Paul Foster Case has evaded my studies, but I'm eager to dive in.

And I don't think I ever truly thought about Regardie's character before. I enjoy his writing quite a bit, though I also enjoy Levi. Perhaps one of my goals this year will be to dig a little deeper in comparative studies.

I'm always amazed by your wealth of knowledge, brother. It seems as though I always pick up something new whenever you contribute. Many thanks!
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Polyhymnia wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:05 am ! I don't know how Paul Foster Case has evaded my studies, but I'm eager to dive in.
For a long time only the two books I mentioned from Case were public, and most of the material of his GD inspired offshoot (Builders of the Adytum) was reserved for initiates. Then, quite recently, they bagun to publish these materials. At that time I was heavily into Jewish Kabbalah, and these formerly secret materials failed to impress me enough, so I sold them to my local antiquarian. Lately, as my interest in GD has rekibdled, I've been thinking of giving those materials a new chance.

But I stronlgy suggest one starts with the two books mentioned above, which were meant to be public by Paul Foster Case himself. And if one finds them exciting, perhaps one might find the other stuff interesting too.