Pekka Ervast and Anthroposophy

Convictions, morals, other societies and religions.
Krepusculum

Pekka Ervast and Anthroposophy

Post by Krepusculum »

I noticed that the works of Pekka Ervast are quite valued by the SoA. It is difficult to find information in English about him besides the standard biography and his involvement with The Theospohical Society. There is also the notion that he might have had some contact with Rudolf Steiner and Anthroposophy. This would not surprise me as both were active to promulgate Esoteric Christianity and Rosicrucian thought. Steiner claimed that Anthroposophy was actually a contemporary form of authentic Rosicrucianism as in that time there were various institutions claiming this heritage but were mostly just adapted forms of Freemasonry. Can any here expand on this?

Suggestions to some good introductory works about or by Ervast in English are very welcome. The older spirit of Rosicrucianism remain fascinating to me and for what I have read from quotations here he seems to fit into this category.
Smaragd

Re: Pekka Ervast and Anthroposophy

Post by Smaragd »

Crepusculum wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:43 pm I noticed that the works of Pekka Ervast are quite valued by the SoA. It is difficult to find information in English about him besides the standard biography and his involvement with The Theospohical Society. There is also the notion that he might have had some contact with Rudolf Steiner and Anthroposophy. This would not surprise me as both were active to promulgate Esoteric Christianity and Rosicrucian thought. Steiner claimed that Anthroposophy was actually a contemporary form of authentic Rosicrucianism as in that time there were various institutions claiming this heritage but were mostly just adapted forms of Freemasonry. Can any here expand on this?

I'm not an expert on P.E.'s influences, but I've been left with the understanding that the Rosicrucian order he worked with was his way to do the theosophical work as Blavatsky intented. That is, applying the mythical aspects of the surrounding culture to search the highest truth. I understand the Rosicrucian heritage to be kind of a mystical ideal, forwarded by the manifestos, that many brotherhoods and occult societies have set to follow, and thus the name Ruusu-Risti (Rose Cross) for the new society after parting ways with the Theosophical Society (the reason being TS's stance on the WWI among others). So it looks like a more pure form of the brotherhood was needed. This seems to have been part of the background, please correct me if there's something inaccurate or plain misinformation.
Now I've heard speculation of Steiners influence on Ervast, but don't really have much to add to that, other than continued speculation. I'd say it's propable that some influence and expanding on Steiners ideas have happened, but the main ideals seems to have come from elsewhere, although obviously partly from the same place as Steiners. I hope someone can continue from here to the actual topic.
Crepusculum wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:43 pmSuggestions to some good introductory works about or by Ervast in English are very welcome. The older spirit of Rosicrucianism remain fascinating to me and for what I have read from quotations here he seems to fit into this category.
Most of the books have been transcribed from his lectures so they have a certain type of language that I'm personally very fond of. Though I'm not sure how they read in English. The book I started with was the Finnish version of the Esoteric School of Jesus, which I'll warmly recommend.
"Would to God that all the Lord's people were Prophets”, Numbers 11:29 as echoed by William Blake
Krepusculum

Post by Krepusculum »

Smaragd wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:17 pm
I'm not an expert on P.E.'s influences, but I've been left with the understanding that the Rosicrucian order he worked with was his way to do the theosophical work as Blavatsky intented. That is, applying the mythical aspects of the surrounding culture to search the highest truth. I understand the Rosicrucian heritage to be kind of a mystical ideal, forwarded by the manifestos, that many brotherhoods and occult societies have set to follow, and thus the name Ruusu-Risti (Rose Cross) for the new society after parting ways with the Theosophical Society (the reason being TS's stance on the WWI among others). So it looks like a more pure form of the brotherhood was needed.

That is very plausable, ironically the foundational articles of the Theosophical Society sound at least a bit Rosicrucian to me. It seems quite acceptable that the basic principles where Ervast dedicated his work to were very close to the genuine Rosicrucian ideal.
Smaragd wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:17 pm Now I've heard speculation of Steiners influence on Ervast, but don't really have much to add to that, other than continued speculation. I'd say it's propable that some influence and expanding on Steiners ideas have happened, but the main ideals seems to have come from elsewhere, although obviously partly from the same place as Steiners. I hope someone can continue from here to the actual topic.
Although I can not compare due to me not having read any of the material by Ervast, I trust and agree with your indication that their material must have been at least partly from a common source. A resurgence of the already continuous developing streams of Western Esotericism from a guiding heritage in the previous centuries will probably have been the core for many of their inspirations.
Maybe their initiation in this common source (by this I mean personal and inwardly not necessarily by some society or order) was already active before they joined the Theosophical Society. Yet of course this remains a speculative assumption from my part.
Smaragd wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:17 pm Most of the books have been transcribed from his lectures so they have a certain type of language that I'm personally very fond of. Though I'm not sure how they read in English. The book I started with was the Finnish version of the Esoteric School of Jesus, which I'll warmly recommend.
Excellent, thank you for the recommendation. I will go for that one then.
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

I, too, have recently become quite curious about Pekka Ervast. The first time I ever heard mention of him was while reading the hymns, and then in the forums. I think I will also pick up The Esoteric Teachings of Jesus, though I definitely won't be able to start until Secret Doctrine and Satanic Feminism reading groups are through. The reading lists certainly never get shorter as an occultist.
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
Silvaeon

Post by Silvaeon »

I'm definitely no expert, but I can warmly reccomend The Esoteric School of Jesus as well.

In this topic there's a free e-book of From Death to Rebirth as well as an audiobook as well. I listened to the audiobook and enjoyed that:

viewtopic.php?f=72&t=1571
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

Oh, excellent! Thank you, brother!
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
Fatuus

Post by Fatuus »

I noticed some time ago that Ervast's "Tähtikoulut" is translated in English. This was one of Ervast's books I have hoped to see translated in English some day. In this short but captivating series of lectures Ervast gives his insight concerning the system of initiations, the occult path.

Astral Schools
Hairetikos

Post by Hairetikos »

Fatuus wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:43 pm I noticed some time ago that Ervast's "Tähtikoulut" is translated in English. This was one of Ervast's books I have hoped to see translated in English some day. In this short but captivating series of lectures Ervast gives his insight concerning the system of initiations, the occult path.

Astral Schools
Much appreciated, thanks!
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Always great to see Ervast's work translated. pekkaervast.net also deserves applauds from putting material online for free.
Fatuus wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:43 pmThis was one of Ervast's books I have hoped to see translated in English some day.

This was the very first Ervast's book given to me when I had never heard of him before. I still remember the situation well, and might have told it in some discussion... It involved a dream of killing a dragon by piercing my own heart with a sword (cf. Astral Schools p.50), and a friendly old lady who was a clairvoyant occultist & borrowed me the book because of this.

The name chose for the book adds a bit of challenge. The original, Tähtikoulut, would be literally "Star Schools", and although "Astral Schools" sounds better, it adds a bit of term baggage. I think that in the light of our Azazelian theurgical practice recently discussed, the more fitting name might be "Celestial Schools".
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Krepusculum

Post by Krepusculum »

Silvaeon wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:07 am I'm definitely no expert, but I can warmly reccomend The Esoteric School of Jesus as well.

In this topic there's a free e-book of From Death to Rebirth as well as an audiobook as well. I listened to the audiobook and enjoyed that:

viewtopic.php?f=72&t=1571
Great! I found the audiobook and will be listening to it tonight
Fatuus wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:43 pm I noticed some time ago that Ervast's "Tähtikoulut" is translated in English. This was one of Ervast's books I have hoped to see translated in English some day. In this short but captivating series of lectures Ervast gives his insight concerning the system of initiations, the occult path.

Astral Schools
This looks very interesting.

Thanks!