Travelling

Putting together ones life with the modern world.
Otava

Travelling

Post by Otava »

Care to share a stories & places worth to visit? Cemeteries, churches, abandoned places for example.

We did a short Estonian tour a year ago and there were a lot of abandoned churches. Mainly ruins but still.

Pictures: 1, 2, 3. (I don't know how to add these by using img -code...)

The most shivering travelling memory is a visit to Auschwitz & Birkenau. It was raining and the ground was muddy. I almost collapsed as it felt like being in utopia.

We're going to Croatia in couple of weeks. There's abandoned hotel(s) which might be worth to visit.

Suggestions all around the world are welcome.
Benemal

Re: Travelling

Post by Benemal »

That castle in the third pic I revisited a few months ago. There's an abandoned soviet jetfighter airport behind it. I'm much more interested in the ruins of a recently fallen empire, than some 16th century german lord's house. But it's still nice.
Sothoth

Post by Sothoth »

Ruins of a medieval monastery in Alsfeld, Germany were interesting. Also in June I saw Bauska Castle in Latvia but unfortunately we were just driving past it, it seemed like a really cool place. In Finland near Turku there is the Kuusisto Castle and near Turku city center there Kakola prison. Tomorrow I'm actually going for a two-week trip to for example Estonia and Czech Republic. Let's see if I'll see some interesting places.
Vanadís

Post by Vanadís »

I've been traveling with mundane mindset, just to enjoy beautiful places and tingle my senses. But I've also traveled magically, practicing so called "landtaking" by leaving some magical spots, drawings, letters etc. to different places from bookstores to mountains in three continents. I've also done couple of trips were the idea is to go to sacred magical / historical places for ritual purposes. That is truly inspiring and powerful. Some trips like that leave so important mark in personal history, that I can view my past "before and after the trip X". Because this is a public part of the forums, I'd rather speak about details or locations in private or face to face :)

But yeah, travels have been and will be very important part of my magical universe!
Otava

Post by Otava »

Short Estonian tour will happen again this summer: Tallinn - Tartu, and the area between. Any suggestions where to visit?

Something like...
Benemal wrote:There's an abandoned soviet jetfighter airport behind it.
But I'm interested about, ALL... places worth to visit.
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

These abandoned soviet bases and older castles, that I know about, are in the west, near Haapsalu. Tartu is a nice town. I don't know about the surrounding area. There's an old hill fort in the middle of it. Somewhere in the northeast, there's an island, that used to be inhabited by african pirates.
gryning

Post by gryning »

My suggestion is Iceland.
For me, its a place not only famous for its
hot baths and changing weather.

Instead its more about old culture and respect for the nature, but also spiritually.

Many constructions of buildings and roads have been canceled because a large population believes the elves are living in stones around the island.

Last time I went there we focused mainly on the higlands. Intense activity is going on in the ground there. A dark, beautiful atmosphere is covering the the area. Much folklore and the smell of sulfit is making the exploration even more overwhelming.
“The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven..” - Milton, Paradise Lost
Alraune

Post by Alraune »

I can warmly recommend Ville Haapasalo's fantastic series of travel documentaries - Venäjän halki 30 päivässä, Silkkitie 30 päivässä etc. Since he often travels to more obscure destinations and sometimes also visits locations with both spiritual and historical significance i.e. He also dives into local traditions and touches a certain amount of folklore.
Visio ~ Vires ~ Actio
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Alraune wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:17 pm I can warmly recommend Ville Haapasalo's fantastic series of travel documentaries - Venäjän halki 30 päivässä, Silkkitie 30 päivässä etc. Since he often travels to more obscure destinations and sometimes also visits locations with both spiritual and historical significance i.e. He also dives into local traditions and touches a certain amount of folklore.
I've watched them again and again. They are just brilliant! I especially love it when he visits local shamans. The best episode must be in his Russian Tribes in 30 Days, when a female shaman lifts a curse off of him.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Alraune

Post by Alraune »

obnoxion wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:35 pm I've watched them again and again. They are just brilliant! I especially love it when he visits local shamans. The best episode must be in his Russian Tribes in 30 Days, when a female shaman lifts a curse off of him.
Amen to that. I love that particular episode. I am actually in frantic pursue of the series – with Swedish or English subtitles – as we speak. Some of the subbed seasons used to be available on SVT Play, but I never ripped them – to my current despair. I even contacted both Aito Media and the producer, but without success (distributors only). My only hope now is that SVT are able to sell the aired seasons on DVD or as digital versions. Or if someone on this forum have them downloaded with non-Finnish subs.
Visio ~ Vires ~ Actio