Quotations relevant to the Path

Rituals, spells, prayer, meditation and magical acts.
obnoxion

Re: Quotations relevant to the Path

Post by obnoxion »

Let it be said in all modesty: if [Stephane] Mallarme was right [in that a verse should be taken as a microcosmic structure], then the person who investigates his verse is performing a scientific function far superior to that of the most powerful telescope or the largest particle accelerator.

- Graham Robb: Unlocking Mallarme (Yale University Press, 1995, page xiv)
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Cancer

Post by Cancer »

Milton's devil as a moral being is as far superior to his God, as one who perseveres in some purpose which he has conceived to be excellent in spite of adversity and torture is to one who in the cold security of undoubted triumph inflicts the most horrible revenge upon his enemy,— not from any mistaken notion of bringing him to repent of a perseverance in enmity but with the open and alleged design of exasperating him to deserve new torments.

- Percy Shelley in On the Devil, and Devils

I AM A LOSER
I am Satan
and I'm Jesus Christ
THERE ARE NO winners
in this fucked reality

- writing on a public bathroom wall in Suvilahti, Helsinki
Tiden läker inga sår.
Heith

Post by Heith »

"Don't sacrifice yourself too much, because if you sacrifice too much there's nothing else you can give and nobody will care for you." -Karl Lagerfeld
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Three persons in one (myself)
1 the primal man in me that has always existed
2 that which feels and lives the living life
3 genie the one who can go outside itself and see inside itself.

God is inside oneself.

A poem by the Finnish painter Ellen Thesleff (1869 - 1954), translated by Marja Lahelma from original Swedish. Taken from Lahelma's essay "The Open-ended Artwork and the Symbolist Self" (Michelle Facos & Thor J. Mednick (ed.): "The Symbolist Roots of Modern Art", Routledge paperback 2017, pages 59 - 70). The poem - which reminds me of William Blake, and also, formaly, of the curious poem by fra Smaragd, posted on this forum a while ago - is read in the essay alongside Thesleff's pencil and sepia ink "Self-Portrait" (1894 - 95). The potrait is also compared with Edvard Munch's oil painting "Vision" (1892).

The things that the Symbolist artists found in their introspection, are not unlike the things the Occultists have found, both having their interest in the "occluded".
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Kenazis

Post by Kenazis »

"I take the Bible far too seriously to take it literally." - Karl Barth
"We live for the woods and the moon and the night"
Kenazis

Post by Kenazis »

"I take the Bible far too seriously to take it literally." - Karl Barth
"We live for the woods and the moon and the night"
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Kenazis wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:14 am "I take the Bible far too seriously to take it literally." - Karl Barth
I recently bought Karl Barth's "Epistle to the Romans", which has been celebrated as a book of Expressionist Poetry, and was a huge influence to T. S. Eliot and the Modern Poetry. I am going to give it a go any day now, but I doubt it will change the fact that Paul Tillich is by far my favourite Protestant Theologian.
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Nothing can withstand the fury of my course among the Stars of God & in the Abysses of the Accuser/ My Enthusiasm is still what it was only Enlarged and confirmed.

- William Blake in a letter to Thomas Butts -
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

And if Shiva were to cast off
his dark snake-bracelets
and hold Gauri's hand
while she wanders on foot
about that mountain of fun,
you should arrange your body
into a series of waves
and steady the water within,
becoming a stairway soft on the feet
for her to climb.

- An extract from Kali-Dasa's "The Cloud-Messenger" -poem (translated by Sir James Mallinson) -
Heith

Post by Heith »

" It is easier to contend with evil at the first than at the last. ”
- Leonardo da Vinci