Focus on one Path = Unity

Convictions, morals, other societies and religions.
Cephalius

Focus on one Path = Unity

Post by Cephalius »

Hello,
I'm new here and am interested in philosophy and Satanism, which is why this forum is a gold mine for me.

What interests me is the concept of unity and the ways to experience that unity. In my experience, there are two ways to experience unity, of which only one way worked best for me so far.
1. Merging different and seemingly opposing philosophies into a single one.
2. Pure focus on a single path. This focus spreads in a mystical way, creating a perfect unity.

As far as I can remember, the 2nd path worked best for me. Instead of looking for similarities and reconciling opposites, I dive into a single world view and perfect it as best I can. It creates a strange effect, which I call transcendence of duality.
Complete separation from other paths and extreme focus creates an interesting paradox, the sudden experience of total unity of everything. That's why I practice the philosophy in Fosforos differently.
I focus on one of Satan's two faces and split off the other side. I succeed best in two different practices, namely Buddhist meditation for the "bright path" and then Satanic, anti-cosmic rituals (my own rituals, without animal sacrifice) for the "dark path".

It is strange that I become aware of the unity by commuting from one extreme to the other. Maybe it's this mystery again: As above, so below. As below, so above.
The first path, the path of harmonization of different views, causes in me a boring grayness, which then leads to disinterest and laziness, which is why I rather avoid this way.

Now I ask myself if my path can actually lead to a true spiritual unity. Is it just a deceptive feeling? Is only the feeling of unity enough? And whether it makes sense to separate harmony and anti-cosmos in the philosophy of Fosforos, since the perfect unity is sought. And I want to know if there are not even better philosophies that are totally opposite to each other but still have very spiritual approaches.

Thank you for participating.
In morte ultima veritas, vincit veritas in omni re.
Cerastes

Re: Focus on one Path = Unity

Post by Cerastes »

Welcome to the forums, Cephalius.

If you ask me, there is no way to merge the paths directly without understanding how both work seperated from each other. To unite the paths, you have to work with them both. (Thesis->Antithesis->Synthesis) You might intuitivly be doing the right thing here.
Pretty much every member I spoke to so far was focussing on one of the paths at first. Some started with the right hand path, others started with the left hand path. There is, I believe a path that we naturally feel more drawn to and this is a good one to start. To me, the paths are not neutralizing each other, they are working together to complete each other and in this state there is no seperation anymore.

Ironically my answer to your question, which one of the paths you describe will lead to true spiritual unity is that the unification of them both might be a good way.

Everyone needs to find his own way through this maze though.
Good luck with that ;)
“Granny Weatherwax was not lost. She wasn't the kind of person who ever became lost. It was just that, at the moment, while she knew exactly where SHE was, she didn't know the position of anywhere else.”
(Terry Pratchett, Wyrd Sisters)
Cephalius

Post by Cephalius »

First, thanks for the answer!
Cerastes wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 8:30 pm Welcome to the forums, Cephalius.

If you ask me, there is no way to merge the paths directly without understanding how both work seperated from each other. To unite the paths, you have to work with them both. (Thesis->Antithesis->Synthesis) You might intuitivly be doing the right thing here.
I hope I do the right thing. It always comes back to me the fear of getting stuck on a path that is regressive and stupid ...
Cerastes wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 8:30 pm To me, the paths are not neutralizing each other, they are working together to complete each other and in this state there is no seperation anymore.
In some philosophies, however, I see the will to clearly delimit other paths and some of the practices are unforgivable in the eyes of the opposite world view. This is, I believe, the hardest touchstone: do not regret the previous paths due to current practice. I always write a "wake-up letter" if I can not get out of the current worldview. Otherwise catastrophes can happen.

For example, having too intense focus on the right hand path for a while has caused me to burn all my occult books ... This is the ultimate test: if you get stuck on your path, you're not right prepared. That's why, before focusing heavily on one of the many paths, I recommend perhaps consolidating a "basic world view" that you can fall back on. For example, a summary from Fosforos in short, clear statements.

I agree that all paths are basically the same, which is why you must never absolutely rely on the surface, because this can lead to regression and stupidity. I despise the respective statements, which only exclaim how omniscient the only path is. Many occultists and magicians are stuck or delusional because of this.
Cerastes wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 8:30 pm Everyone needs to find his own way through this maze though.
I agree. Everyone has to help themselves. I am currently interested in the practices of the O9A. My focus lies on the Tree of Wyrd and the Sinister Tarot Deck. The sinister scriptures resemble my own writings, and generally I like the dark and cold feeling of this path. However, I despise the human sacrifice, the so-called "inside roles" or the Nazi ritual in which one adores Hitler. The focus on some of the 21 satanic points prevent my relapse into laziness, because doing nothing is my biggest enemy, who unfortunately wins very often.
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

First and foremost, welcome to the forums, Cephalius!
Cephalius wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 9:33 pm I am currently interested in the practices of the O9A. My focus lies on the Tree of Wyrd and the Sinister Tarot Deck. The sinister scriptures resemble my own writings, and generally I like the dark and cold feeling of this path. However, I despise the human sacrifice, the so-called "inside roles" or the Nazi ritual in which one adores Hitler. The focus on some of the 21 satanic points prevent my relapse into laziness, because doing nothing is my biggest enemy, who unfortunately wins very often.
Secondly, and please do forgive my ignorance, but what is the O9A?

As for your original question, I can only speak from personal experience, but mine is this: My studies before joining the SoA were pretty much strictly in the realm of Western Hermeticism, and my personal studies didn't much delve into the LHP at all. Upon joining and starting down the path to merge the two paths, I've felt an incredible shift in the entirety of my being, and my studies are beginning to become sensical in areas I used to struggle. I wholeheartedly agree with Cerastes that most of us are drawn to one initially, and over the course of study, the two halves eventually come together to show us the whole.
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Cephalius wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:33 pm 1. Merging different and seemingly opposing philosophies into a single one.
2. Pure focus on a single path. This focus spreads in a mystical way, creating a perfect unity.
For me, this sounded like a rough divide between 1) Theosophical, and 2) Perennialist approaches. It is a divide that has both energized me, and been a source of anxiety.
Cephalius wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 9:33 pm I agree. Everyone has to help themselves. I am currently interested in the practices of the O9A. My focus lies on the Tree of Wyrd and the Sinister Tarot Deck. The sinister scriptures resemble my own writings, and generally I like the dark and cold feeling of this path. However, I despise the human sacrifice, the so-called "inside roles" or the Nazi ritual in which one adores Hitler.
I looked into O9A back in the 90's, and I share your dislikes. The only things that I found somewhat interesting were the Tarot deck and the glyphs and verses in the Black Book of Satan II. (And even in the Card Deck, I recall there were characters in Nazi uniforms here and there, and that is just not my fetish at all.) I think both were more or less by Christos Beest, who later left the order... be that as it may, wasn't for me then, and even less so today.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Smaragd

Post by Smaragd »

I was actually slightly touching this subject in another post in the Finnish forums around the same time yesterday.

Regarding the mystical way of working I tend to go more or less the 2nd way you described. Focusing on one archetype creates dynamic relations to others and this is potentially fruitful in both vitalizing or harming ways. The juxtaposition seems to work only when it is understood to be a subjective tool, so you don't figth the world in your imbalance, but use the imbalance as a way to find knowledge of these two (seemingly) opposing powers. When the path leads back to the balanced center you know them both and thus you can work with both of them from the throne of knowledge that is in the center.

I try not to juxtapose the archetypes as paths but keep their balance going in the background with the Celestial Hymns, described in Fosforos, while I focus on some form one or several of them put out. I don't see how merging different and seemingly opposing philosophies in the process would harm the mystical approach so I can choose both. Philosophies, religions and myths gives pieces of the puzzle and I don't have to differentiate them too much. Some of them suit better for some purpose and they merge in to single philosophy under this single path. Maybe this works because my single path is formed on the ground of the Star of Azazel, which can merge different philosophies and sources but still has it's own practices and own core. Thankful for those hard workers who've put forth the knowledge and labour for such a temple to have risen.
Cephalius wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:33 pm Now I ask myself if my path can actually lead to a true spiritual unity. Is it just a deceptive feeling? Is only the feeling of unity enough?
This is a good question. Is the feeling of unity a sign of unity with the absolute — the oneness — or is it unity with some small part of it? Is it enough to gain unity with a small part the world and toy around with that power or will the path lead back to the center to work with those powers with wisdom? On what grounds do wisdom lay?
"Would to God that all the Lord's people were Prophets”, Numbers 11:29 as echoed by William Blake
Cephalius

Post by Cephalius »

Polyhymnia wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 6:20 am Secondly, and please do forgive my ignorance, but what is the O9A?
I do not know if you have not already figured it out, but I recommend you to take a look at it (though skeptical!). Although I doubt that o9a really has a long tradition, there are some interesting approaches. I am interested in this group, because their philosophy appeals to me little. I take it more as a challenge that I may be able to grow through (hopefully).
Polyhymnia wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 6:20 am As for your original question, I can only speak from personal experience, but mine is this: My studies before joining the SoA were pretty much strictly in the realm of Western Hermeticism, and my personal studies didn't much delve into the LHP at all. Upon joining and starting down the path to merge the two paths, I've felt an incredible shift in the entirety of my being, and my studies are beginning to become sensical in areas I used to struggle. I wholeheartedly agree with Cerastes that most of us are drawn to one initially, and over the course of study, the two halves eventually come together to show us the whole.
I was also at the beginning on the right hand path, namely in Christianity. After becoming more satanic, I devoted myself to the dark path, but then my worldview changed, probably very much like yours, after I tried to practice a new path. For me, it was Zen Buddhism. This was the real impetus to balance my opposite sides. Luckily I could still take Fosforos out of my dusty shelf ... I was very narrow-minded when I read it for the first time ...
obnoxion wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 6:37 am I looked into O9A back in the 90's, and I share your dislikes. The only things that I found somewhat interesting were the Tarot deck and the glyphs and verses in the Black Book of Satan II. (And even in the Card Deck, I recall there were characters in Nazi uniforms here and there, and that is just not my fetish at all.) I think both were more or less by Christos Beest, who later left the order... be that as it may, wasn't for me then, and even less so today.
I take their philosophy rather as challenge and provocation. I am more inspired by the feeling of this world view than by the statements. And since I love mathematics, I also like the abstract Star Game.
Smaragd wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:52 am Regarding the mystical way of working I tend to go more or less the 2nd way you described. Focusing on one archetype creates dynamic relations to others and this is potentially fruitful in both vitalizing or harming ways. The juxtaposition seems to work only when it is understood to be a subjective tool, so you don't figth the world in your imbalance, but use the imbalance as a way to find knowledge of these two (seemingly) opposing powers. When the path leads back to the balanced center you know them both and thus you can work with both of them from the throne of knowledge that is in the center.
Very inspiring, thanks. I was worried that I missed the actual goal ... But apparently I'm not far from the good path.
Smaragd wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:52 am I try not to juxtapose the archetypes as paths but keep their balance going in the background with the Celestial Hymns, described in Fosforos, while I focus on some form one or several of them put out. I don't see how merging different and seemingly opposing philosophies in the process would harm the mystical approach so I can choose both. Philosophies, religions and myths gives pieces of the puzzle and I don't have to differentiate them too much. Some of them suit better for some purpose and they merge in to single philosophy under this single path. Maybe this works because my single path is formed on the ground of the Star of Azazel, which can merge different philosophies and sources but still has it's own practices and own core. Thankful for those hard workers who've put forth the knowledge and labour for such a temple to have risen.
For me, it is Magister Noster that reminds me of my actual path. What bothers me about some ritual texts in Fosforso is that they are not completely written in Latin. This bothers me a bit ... Well, I just have to study a bit more Latin to write prayers myself. I do not know why, but Latin works very well for me ...
Kenazis

Post by Kenazis »

O9A = ONA = The Order of Nine Angles.
"We live for the woods and the moon and the night"
Cerastes

Post by Cerastes »

Cephalius wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 9:33 pm I hope I do the right thing. It always comes back to me the fear of getting stuck on a path that is regressive and stupid ..
I'm quite an expert in doing stupid things this can be a part of the whole process too as long as one is able to find the way back. Every time I did somethig stupid it was because I ignored my intuition. It is good to have a certain direction where you want to go. Sometimes I feel that people are just randomly doing rituals without really having goal. I'm far to anarchistic-minded to say that there is a direction that is wrong per se. The SoA principles are therfore valuable for this since they don't pave the path to strictly but they still give a direction where to go.
Cephalius wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 9:33 pm I agree that all paths are basically the same, which is why you must never absolutely rely on the surface, because this can lead to regression and stupidity.
I don't imagine them to be the samebut they form a unity. Have a look at the SoA sigil at the top of the page, this is what it says for me. The dark and the bright side of Satan, so to say. The two halves don't look the same but they form one face. Whoever is focussion only on one side, would be half-faced, half-eyed, half-mouthed.
“Granny Weatherwax was not lost. She wasn't the kind of person who ever became lost. It was just that, at the moment, while she knew exactly where SHE was, she didn't know the position of anywhere else.”
Cerastes

Post by Cerastes »

PS: I don't know why the forum thinks the last quote in my comment is from Sor Polyharmonia.
It might be a little confused due to the integration of the Finnish forum...It also changed my gender :D