Antinomian acts - what role does it play on your path?

Rational discussions on metaphysical and abstract topics.
LoopGodel

Antinomian acts - what role does it play on your path?

Post by LoopGodel »

Hi all.

I am currently researching "Antinomianism" in relation to the Left-Hand Path and in particular, 1) the psychology & philosophy behind it and 2) the various forms that it can take. From a psychological point of view, I see the power and value in utilising antinomian acts in order to break free from self-limiting beliefs, fears & ways of being.

Speaking for myself, I have not taken this to the point where I have attended a Black Mass (I spent 30 years within the Abrahamic belief matrix) but I would certainly describe myself as a gnostic and heretic, from an orthodox Abrahamic point of view. Declaring Jehovah to be a demiurgic impostor and the Serpent in the Garden of Eden a Promethean/Luciferian on the side of Truth, feels quite antinomian from my personal, relativist point of view. Reading Fosforos & The Satanic Bible also fall into this category for me, as does being part of this forum.

I would therefore be very interested to hear from you, to gain insight into your understanding of the role that "Antinomian" acts play on the LHP and your personal journey - if at all. If so, sharing the kinds of practices that you utilise that fit into this category, would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

LoopGodel.
Smaragd

Re: Antinomian acts - what role does it play on your path?

Post by Smaragd »

The word antinomian might have a connotation of belittling moral laws to someones ear, but it seems much more interesting and dynamic to see it as a challenge to try to see what was meant with sins or some pieces of scripture or theology in the first place as esoteric allegory. Just like blasphemy serves only to clean the excess dross, like in most cases it is very important to heal overwhelming barriers by destroying them, but after which the bright face of individual connection to the manas starts to uncover the true meanings the "barriers" hold. The laws may become the actual stepping stones. Again it is up to ones own path how much distance from these things have to be taken; is it time to flit free in the airy stream, or dwell in the rocky gorges of the mountain of the world. I don't remember if it was in Fosforos or Argarizim where fra Nefastos approached the Ten Commandments in an interesting and relevant way to this subject.
"Would to God that all the Lord's people were Prophets”, Numbers 11:29 as echoed by William Blake
Insanus

Post by Insanus »

I'm antinomian only in that "Law" in both senses has only a psychological or pragmatic meaning to me. So my "antinomianism" is is not very "anti", not rebellious, liberating thing, but more of a distance from common belief systems. I'm not very political and I don't want to create a fuss, so mostly my behavior doesn't hugely reflect this. I'm boring I know.
Jumalan synnit ovat kourallinen hiekkaa ihmisen valtameressä
Cerastes

Post by Cerastes »

LoopGodel wrote:Speaking for myself, I have not taken this to the point where I have attended a Black Mass (I spent 30 years within the Abrahamic belief matrix) but I would certainly describe myself as a gnostic and heretic, from an orthodox Abrahamic point of view. Declaring Jehovah to be a demiurgic impostor and the Serpent in the Garden of Eden a Promethean/Luciferian on the side of Truth, feels quite antinomian from my personal, relativist point of view. Reading Fosforos & The Satanic Bible also fall into this category for me, as does being part of this forum.
I've watched one of those black masses on youtube out of curiosity. Well, if I was that naked woman in the altar I would have brought a book or ordered a pizza because the monologues of the priest would have bored me to death.
-
Antinomianism raises the emotional involvement and attention of one psyche which can be useful. For me it doesn't work because there are hardly any forbidden fruits anymore. Thus, I think it can be a good thing if done with care, but here is the problem. A high emotional involvement may eventually lead to bad decisions. Sometimes in such a state it is hard to distinguish between inculcated barriers (religious, cultural, socially) and your inner own inner voice of intuition that warns you not to do something. It can go horribly wrong.
Again, this is only my view on this topic and I’m not sure if it goes for anyone else.
Insanus wrote:I'm antinomian only in that "Law" in both senses has only a psychological or pragmatic meaning to me. So my "antinomianism" is is not very "anti", not rebellious, liberating thing, but more of a distance from common belief systems. I'm not very political and I don't want to create a fuss, so mostly my behavior doesn't hugely reflect this. I'm boring I know.
Don't create a fuss shall be the whole of the law.
That's actually not too bad. Believe me, creating a fuss gets boring after a while.
“Granny Weatherwax was not lost. She wasn't the kind of person who ever became lost. It was just that, at the moment, while she knew exactly where SHE was, she didn't know the position of anywhere else.”
(Terry Pratchett, Wyrd Sisters)
Aquila

Post by Aquila »

Cerastes wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:09 pm Antinomianism raises the emotional involvement and attention of one psyche which can be useful. For me it doesn't work because there are hardly any forbidden fruits anymore. Thus, I think it can be a good thing if done with care, but here is the problem. A high emotional involvement may eventually lead to bad decisions. Sometimes in such a state it is hard to distinguish between inculcated barriers (religious, cultural, socially) and your inner own inner voice of intuition that warns you not to do something. It can go horribly wrong.
Again, this is only my view on this topic and I’m not sure if it goes for anyone else.
I guess this might be quite close to truth. I have experienced some problems there are when trying to navigate in the labyrinth of distinguishing intuition from unconscious moral/religious presumptions. I hold the view that this is problematic especially in certain ages before the activation of átma and will get clearer when this age is getting to it's end if the person in question stays on the path and does not take the wrong answer and turn that into an ideological tenet. Some accidental, experimental or rebellious wrong deeds or mistakes might help to clear the way but choosing the antinomian, unlawful deeds, just for the sake of breaking the moral rules will easily lead to worse results. Of course we have to remember that in the sense of breaking oneself away from the influence of parents, dogmatic religion or whatever, it is not actually "wrong" to do some of the, let's say, "lesser evil" things and this is definitely a process most of us need to go through and maybe return once in a while but only in case where it serves the purpose of expanding spiritual understanding of the ascending path.
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Insanus wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:13 am ...my "antinomianism" is is not very "anti", not rebellious, liberating thing, but more of a distance from common belief systems. I'm not very political and I don't want to create a fuss, so mostly my behavior doesn't hugely reflect this. I'm boring I know.
Same for me, though I actualy pride myself on being law-abiding. I'm not into blasphemy either, and in a "black mass -scenario" I would read prayers backwards rather than stage an obscene mockery. It is a subtle, strictly spiritual antinomianism in my case, with a less-is-more aesthetics.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Cerastes

Post by Cerastes »

Aquila wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:06 pm is problematic especially in certain ages before the activation of átma and will get clearer when this age is getting to it's end if the person in question stays on the path and does not take the wrong answer and turn that into an ideological tenet. Some accidental, experimental or rebellious wrong deeds or mistakes might help to clear the way but choosing the antinomian, unlawful deeds, just for the sake of breaking the moral rules will easily lead to worse results. Of course we have to remember that in the sense of breaking oneself away from the influence of parents, dogmatic religion or whatever, it is not actually "wrong" to do some of the, let's say, "lesser evil" things and this is definitely a process most of us need to go through and maybe return once in a while but only in case where it serves the purpose of expanding spiritual understanding of the ascending path.

Generally it is important to be aware before each practice, why to do it and what the goal of the work is.
In think antinomious or blaspheming acts are not really lawless, even if the name suggests so. In fact, they just follow a contrary law that can be equally dogmatic. Therefore I agree with your notion that the developement of atma should be at a certain point. This, however needs a little egoism and may lead to „lesser evil“. I wouldn't necessarily even call it evil at this point because I just don’t see a moral obligation to fulfill other people's will. I was pondering a little with the „hate your mother and father“ part of CoL until I realised that this is actually pretty close to what I think if „hate“ is taken as a seperating force in contrary to the unifying love.
“Granny Weatherwax was not lost. She wasn't the kind of person who ever became lost. It was just that, at the moment, while she knew exactly where SHE was, she didn't know the position of anywhere else.”
(Terry Pratchett, Wyrd Sisters)
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

Cerastes wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:09 pm
I've watched one of those black masses on youtube out of curiosity. Well, if I was that naked woman in the altar I would have brought a book or ordered a pizza because the monologues of the priest would have bored me to death.
-
:lol:

I'm absolutely going to go down the YouTube rabbit hole of black mass now.

As for Antinomian acts, I suppose I'm a subtle rebel as well. I'm not very loud, and I don't like to cause a fuss, but I do like to tackle certain themes in my art, which just happens to almost always be based in ritual, that may unsettle those with that very specific strain of "holier than thou strong moral fibre".
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran