What are you listening to at the moment?

Visual arts, music, poetry and other forms of art.
Heith

Re: What are you listening to at the moment?

Post by Heith »

I only like Mana Mana. :ugeek:

Many people I know say they can't listen MM when depressed because it makes everything even more difficult, but I never had this effect from them. It's like being in a coffin of lead, I love it.
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

A few Finnish bands/artists, I always go back to: Keuhkot, Puhelinkoppi & Armon Kuilu. Especially when I'm drinking.
Smaragd

Post by Smaragd »

Aye, the spirit overwhelms the personal likes and dislikes. Tastes seem to be just a reflection of the karmic weavings our souls are made of. The mysteries we are going through correspond to certain aesthetics and themes one then feels magnetic pull towards. Maybe the positive side of these differences in taste is easier to see when, for example, in our brotherhood someone is fond of and have studied a tradition few others have and share their insight. Some years back I remember thinking I should maybe start studying astrology or something to widen the spectre of esoteric backgrounds there are presented in our tables. Well I haven't got there yet, but I saw a conversation where someone brought some astrology knowledge to the table and it was heartwarming.
Benemal wrote:A few Finnish bands/artists, I always go back to: Keuhkot, Puhelinkoppi & Armon Kuilu. Especially when I'm drinking.
Glad to hear someone else here is enthusiastic about Armon Kuilu. They are one of my favourites. It's a shame lyrics are not included on either of the records, although it kind of fits the music for it is so dreamlike. I don't mean dreamlike as in cliché haze cheaply drenched in reverb but how the sounds, mood changes and lyrics, and vocals ranging from slightly vague to a godlike strong, form something the most meaningful dream would take you to. I have sometimes thought their music as something the 19th century symbolists might have made with music if the art form and tools we have now days would have made it there in time.

Also the rare occasions I need to listen to HC punk I'll go for Puhelinkoppi, Kaivosurma or the obvious Terveet Kädet.
"Would to God that all the Lord's people were Prophets”, Numbers 11:29 as echoed by William Blake
Mimesis

Post by Mimesis »

I hope that this is at least somewhat relevant here....

Quite by accident, I have stumbled on some rather endearing recordings that I could not help but share a portion of. During some of my time at university, I considered myself as somewhat of a budding ethnomusicologist. Whilst the nature and type of this interest/study has developed into something different, I did for a time pursue it quite seriously, and in my search for a native tradition of meaning through the rhythm of language - like some kind of rhythmically existential take on Damon's and Aristotle's 'ethos' - I frequented English pubs and made recordings of individuals and groups of people singing. Often small organised groups singing traditional ballads and folk tunes, but just as frequently individuals and groups improvising.

When sorting through some files on my computer, I came across a folder with many of these recordings in. Most are for whatever reason corrupted, and thus unplayable, but I have been able to play two, and in one, a man with an almost indiscernible west country accent improvises the following line:

I seek the devil to hear his sweet and sour song

There is something about the simplicity of both the line and way in which it is sung that has really moved me. Yet it lightly eludes to a very deep and relatable thought.

Quite amazing to think of this coming from some spontaneous improvisation of a man there only to routinely drink and meet with those whom he lives near.

This is also the first recorded music, or song, with lyrics and vocals (so to speak) that I have had the energy to listen to for quite some time, so I thank this anonymous man for that!
"We are such stuff. As dreams are made on, and our little life. Is rounded with a sleep."
Kenazis

Post by Kenazis »

Benemal wrote:A few Finnish bands/artists, I always go back to: Keuhkot, Puhelinkoppi & Armon Kuilu. Especially when I'm drinking.
Shitter Limited and Rytmihäiriö might just be my choises for that kind of situations.
"We live for the woods and the moon and the night"
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Kenazis wrote: Shitter Limited.
First heard them when I was eight years old. I think I've seen them live twice. SL is one of my childhood favorites, so it's very nostalgic stuff for me. Right up there with WASP.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Kenazis

Post by Kenazis »

obnoxion wrote:
Kenazis wrote: Shitter Limited.
First heard them when I was eight years old. I think I've seen them live twice. SL is one of my childhood favorites, so it's very nostalgic stuff for me. Right up there with WASP.
I also heard them first time when I was very young. Not that young, but something like 11 or 12 years old. I think Rytmihäiriö made first "good" influence with the music video "Koska Saatana sanoo niin" from their 2010 record. So, there almost 20 year between these. I haven't been listening punk a lot, ever. Just couple of bands/"artists" I have seen interesting. Along the mentioned GG Allin and the Murder Junkies, Anti-Nowhere League, The Casualties, Raised Fist, Refused (and Suicidal Tendencies if we count that as one. I like the heavy albums much more than their punk albums)...and...that's about all the Punk bands i've listened or listen....like anyone cares,
"We live for the woods and the moon and the night"
Smaragd

Post by Smaragd »

Omoksha wrote:When sorting through some files on my computer, I came across a folder with many of these recordings in. Most are for whatever reason corrupted, and thus unplayable, but I have been able to play two, and in one, a man with an almost indiscernible west country accent improvises the following line:

I seek the devil to hear his sweet and sour song
Listening to the lovely track 'Murder of Maria Marten' (the record cover is better than the image on the video :D) performed by Shirley Collins and the Albion Country Band, I was reminded of your post here. Collins used to go to pubs and travel quite a lot collecting folk songs. I guess the idea was saving the songs common folk made before they are buried forever. It would be interesting to hear the song you mentioned, that is, if feel like sharing it.
"Would to God that all the Lord's people were Prophets”, Numbers 11:29 as echoed by William Blake
Mimesis

Post by Mimesis »

Smaragd wrote:

Collins used to go to pubs and travel quite a lot collecting folk songs. I guess the idea was saving the songs common folk made before they are buried forever.
In a world where everything is turned into commodity and stripped of its meaning, I find such magic in the folk tradition of orally transmitted music and word. There is such heart to be found in expression made in an environment that does not corrupt it. So raw. And individuals such as Shirley Collins do a great service in memorialising such otherwise lost moments, but in a way that also maintains the spirit within which they were present within the world.

Smaragd wrote:
It would be interesting to hear the song you mentioned, that is, if feel like sharing it.
Absolutely, I shall send it via email.
"We are such stuff. As dreams are made on, and our little life. Is rounded with a sleep."
Ormr

Post by Ormr »

I discovered the classical piece by Rachmaninoff, "Isle Of The Dead" recently, somehow this one escaped me my entire life. I just can't get enough of it, it is perfect to me in every way.
https://youtu.be/dbbtmskCRUY

I'm also fond of the painting by the same name.
-- O