What are you listening to at the moment?

Visual arts, music, poetry and other forms of art.
Mimesis

Re: What are you listening to at the moment?

Post by Mimesis »

Prompted by a discussion that I was recently lucky enough to have, about what music has genuinely touched ones deep spiritual core, I have been able to revisit and once again adore a composer whom has in the past touched this within me....

Ludwig van Beethoven.

For the past few months, I have only been able to listen to sparse, minimal and drawn out music, for predominantly piano. Anything with anymore energy and impetus has been impossible to me for quite some time.

However, I have started to find once more what initially encapsulated me about Beethoven. His obsessive study of small motifs sends me into something of a trance. One small phrase is repeated, developed and revisited in both verbatim and variation throughout his work.
Not by far my favourite work of his, but one of the most dramatic examples of this must, for me at least, be his fifth symphony.
"We are such stuff. As dreams are made on, and our little life. Is rounded with a sleep."
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Lords of the New Church is one of my favourite rock bands, and this video for their song "Dance With Me" is - though vaguely disturbing - very powerful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CYN14Ki5o8
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Ormr

Post by Ormr »

Agalloch's "The Mantle" album has been in regular rotation. This album always makes me think of winter and has a certain soothing calm to it.
-- O
Heith

Post by Heith »

After a really long time I am now listening to black metal. "Henbane" by Cultes des Ghoules. I always liked this album a lot.

But I'm sure I'll soon go back to pretentious Renaissance music :D
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Great Punk from 90's Dusseldorf. This song is inpired by the Clockwork Orange.
(By the way, I just realized that Die Toten Hosen could be translated as "Necro Pants"... could it?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X-yqPhItr8
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Smaragd

Post by Smaragd »

obnoxion wrote:(By the way, I just realized that Die Toten Hosen could be translated as "Necro Pants"... could it?)
It just might be so. :) Visiting Iceland I just missed the museum that has such pants on display. Not sure if those are the only piece of such item in the world? We were coming from a trip around the island and had no more energy for detours.

For a week or so I've had a sudden surge of the greatest grounding music I know, Leevi and the Leavings. They made observant songs about ordinary lives and tragedies with a quite a bit of humour interestingly soaked in empathy. I guess this sort of grounding music draws much of it's power from the cultural surroundings and nostalgia, and that's why it works so well pulling ones feet back to the ground. That is also the reason I suspect such music wouldn't translate very well for people from other cultures. Although it would be interesting to hear such examples if something rings a bell.
"Would to God that all the Lord's people were Prophets”, Numbers 11:29 as echoed by William Blake
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Smaragd wrote: For a week or so I've had a sudden surge of the greatest grounding music I know, Leevi and the Leavings. They made observant songs about ordinary lives and tragedies with a quite a bit of humour interestingly soaked in empathy. I guess this sort of grounding music draws much of it's power from the cultural surroundings and nostalgia, and that's why it works so well pulling ones feet back to the ground. That is also the reason I suspect such music wouldn't translate very well for people from other cultures. Although it would be interesting to hear such examples if something rings a bell.
I am a MASSIVE Leevi and the Leavings fan! And though somet things about LatL will be lost to those who are not from Finland, I suspect that at least some of the melodies can be enjoyed by most people around the world. Also, I think LatL should be mandatory listening for students of Social Work in Finland...
Yinlong

Post by Yinlong »

Nefastos wrote:Radio Italia Streaming...
Funny, I've been listening especially to olden golden Italian classics lately. I guess this is a stream that started last summer from Sicily, and my friends (and friends of friends) organized a party with mafia theme. I put my favorite Italian trousers and blazer, and obviously I was pretty much in my element there :D
To name artists I've been mostly fond of: Luciano Tajoli, Peppino Gagliardi, Mario Merola, Tony Renis.... and there is of course (at the moment) one song to rule them all: Guaglione (I like especially Marino Marini version)

@Obnoxion and @Smaragd: I've been also listening to Leevi&Ls lately, pretty similar reasons as you mention: Somehow the everyday struggles of ordinary people are interesting when very poetically presented. Gösta Sundqvist was master of this kind of song making. Also, I guess this is related to why I still today listen to Pulp: Different Class, especially Common People song.

Since I think chançons haven't been mentioned lately, has anybody been listening to e.g. Jacques Brel? I also like newer stuff, like Charlotte Gainsbourg, and Jane Birkin's Rendez-vous album (2004) is still one of my favorites of the newer stuff. For example, try songs like Je m'apelle Jane (with Mickey 3d) or Te souviens-tu? (with Manu Chao).
Quaerendo Invenietis - Na dìomhcuimhnich a-chaoidh - Feuer frei!
Insanus

Post by Insanus »

I've been listening mainly to Mozart, trying to learn the turkish march..
Jumalan synnit ovat kourallinen hiekkaa ihmisen valtameressä