Pekka Ervast: From Death to Rebirth

Discussion on literature other than by the Star of Azazel.
Fatuus

Pekka Ervast: From Death to Rebirth

Post by Fatuus »

Pekka Ervast (1875-1934) was a remarkable Finnish occultist and a pioneer of the theosophical movement in Finland. There are tons of writings, books, articles and lectures he has left us – mostly in Finnish. His spiritual influence over the Star of Azazel is prominent, and I always suggest his books to foreign friends and members of the fraternity. Now I just found a book called "From Death to Rebirth", which is a new collection of Ervast's teaching concerning themes regarding the afterlife. I think all the material of the book is translated now for the first time into English. I haven't read it yet, but most of the sources behind the collected teachings are famiar to me, so it is easy to recommend the book.

From Death to Rebirth is downloadable as a free e-book from here. (It may take a while to load the page)

Contents:

Foreword by Richard Smoley
To the Reader
Pekka Ervast’s Path to Spiritual Knowledge
On the Science of Near-Death Experiences
Prologue
Moment of Death
Leaving the Body and the Life Review
Division of the Soul
In the Vicinity of the Earth Sphere
In the Etheric Body
Premature Death
Deaths Due to Accidents
Deaths Due to Suicides
Deaths Due to War
In the Astral Body
Hades, the Astral Plane
Transition to the Astral Life
Purgatory
Subplanes of Hades
Underworld
Dwellings of Hades
Earthly Paradise
Helpers of the Dead
Locality of Hades
Spiritualistic Séances
End of Life in Hades
Heaven
Life in Heaven
School in Heaven
Declining the Heavenly State
Relationship between the Living and the Dead
Communication among the Dead
Higher Heaven
End of the Lower Heaven
Locality of the Higher Heaven
Heaven of the Christ
At the Gates of Rebirth
Eternal Life
Epilogue: In Honor of Death
Nefastos

Re: Pekka Ervast: From Death to Rebirth

Post by Nefastos »

Ah, This is great news indeed! Not only in making Ervast better known, but I notice that theosophical rhetorics have taken a step forward from the flat "here is what this guy said a hundred years ago, with as little changes as possible, with no commentary, and please do not make any yourself, either".

Had I not so much on my literary plate already, I would definitely suggest a reading group. Thank you for bringing this to attention.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Jiva

Post by Jiva »

Yes, thank you very much, this is greatly appreciated.

This thread also encouraged an idle Google search to see if any more of Ervast's works had been published in English and I found The Sermon on the Mount; or The Key to Christianity.

Once I have more free time I'll definitely be reading these, particularly as I've decided to read the Bible again, which I don't think I've ever done from cover to cover before.
'Oh Krishna, restless and overpowering, this mind is overwhelmingly strong; I think we might as easily gain control over the wind as over this.'
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Jiva wrote:if any more of Ervast's works had been published in English

And there's also my personal favourite, The Esoteric School of Jesus.

Physical copies of these translations can be loaned (by members) from the brotherhood library.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Fatuus

Post by Fatuus »

Aquila

Post by Aquila »

A new translation of Pekka Ervast has just been published. The book is called Spiritual Knowledge but I don't know how widely it is available. Aatma.fi is selling copies for quite a nice price (17 €) but unfortunately their website doesn't seem to allow linking.
In all times people have believed that human exists after death and that there is an invisible world. There have also been people who have sought and found answers about the purpose of existence, life after death and the spiritual realm.

Finnish writer Pekka Ervast describes the requirements for spiritual knowledge on the basis of Indian Vedanta philosophy and Christian occultism. In the first stage knowledge from the visible and invisible world is gained through the senses. In the second stage the truth seeker becomes self-aware in the invisible world. And finally in the third stage human becomes one with God – the spirit of Brahman, and gains the highest knowledge attainable.

The first chapters examine the purpose and structure of both the presently existing as well as the yet dormant senses of a human being. The following chapters examine the yoga practices of Patanjali and their influence on human constitution. And finally Ervast examines the life after death and the experiences which one faces on the spiritual path.

TABLE OF CONTENST

Human super-senses
Occult knowledge 
Creative knowledge 
Skilled clairvoyance 
The spiritual constitution of man
Reincarnation and the path of liberation
The yoga meditation of Patanjali 
The attainments of a yogi 
The highest goal of a yogi 
The requirements of spiritual knowledge 
Beyond death