Correspondences of Azazel in different traditions

Symbols and allegories.
obnoxion

Re: Correspondences of Azazel in different traditions

Post by obnoxion »

Fomalhaut wrote:All the parts written in blue are new and interesting information for me. I would like to ask from other members if the information with blue color from second link is authentic and relevant?
I have read the link some years ago, and it does seem authentic. For example, i have studied the connection of Azazel to the Burnig Bush of the biblical legends, and the mention of thorn-bush being connected to Azazel seems to support my own findings. I have actually writen an article about this in one of our 'Hylätty Kivi'-magazines (the title of the publication means "The Forsaken Stone"). For example:
obnoxion wrote:I think that it is, also, at least curious that the gematric value of the name 'Azazel' (OZAZL) corresponds to the Burning Bush, that is, the dis legomenon 'Seneh' (SNH), both having the value 115.
I've also read a book mentioned in the link, "From the Ashes of Angels" by Andrew Collins. The book is full of fantastic claims about Azazel and other topics. It seems that at least most pieces of information are correct as such, but the interpretations drawn from those facts cannot be easily verified. Some of his conclusions are hard to swallow.

In the end one must trust one's self and the results of one's own reserch.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Insanus

Post by Insanus »

Some stuff considering A.Crowley's "Laylah" & Azazel.

http://www.abarim-publications.com/Mean ... mb2dVM52c8

"By far the most attractive solution (we think here at Abarim Publications) is the one used by the Septuagint and Vulgate and some other ancient sources. They see the first part of the name Azazel to come from the word 'ez ('ez), meaning goat, she-goat or kid. And the second part, they say, comes from the verb azal (azal), meaning to go away (see the name Uzal). That way the name Azazel would mean She-Goat Of Going Away, which is near perfect and probably as good as it gets. The problem with this solution is that in Leviticus 16 never the word 'ez (she-goat) is used but always sair (sa'ir), meaning he-goat"

& the Book of Lies chapter 77 reads:

THE SUBLIME AND SUPREME SEPTENARY
IN ITS MATURE MAGICAL MANIFESTATION
THROUGH MATTER: AS IT IS WRITTEN: AN
HE-GOAT ALSO

Laylah.

-

Chapter's commentary is a long one, but you probably want to check it out. It's after chapter 77, obviously. http://www.sacred-texts.com/oto/lib333.htm

Also, from http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/2203-azazel
After "Azazel, personification of impurity"

"The very fact that the two goats were presented before Yhwh before the one was sacrificed and the other sent into the wilderness, was proof that Azazel was not ranked with Yhwh, but regarded simply as the personification of wickedness in contrast with the righteous government of Yhwh. The rite, resembling, on the one hand, the sending off of the epha with the woman embodying wickedness in its midst to the land of Shinar in the vision of Zachariah"

& a definition of Azazel by the free dictionary:

1. the demon or place in the wilderness to which the scapegoat is released in an atonement ritual. Lev. 16:8, 10, 26.
2. the scapegoat itself.

& so we have a masculine & feminine interpretation of Azazel. Internet is great.
Jumalan synnit ovat kourallinen hiekkaa ihmisen valtameressä
Mera

Post by Mera »

What does " scapegoat" actually mean? it seems a bit strange that a goat is sent to Azazel and he would become a scapegoat... a scapegoat for what and whom?
Heith

Post by Heith »

Mera wrote:What does " scapegoat" actually mean? it seems a bit strange that a goat is sent to Azazel and he would become a scapegoat... a scapegoat for what and whom?
Not sure if this is what you are looking for as an answer, but;

scape·goat (skpgt)
n.
1. One that is made to bear the blame of others.
2. Bible A live goat over whose head Aaron confessed all the sins of the children of Israel on the Day of Atonement. The goat, symbolically bearing their sins, was then sent into the wilderness.
tr.v. scape·goat·ed, scape·goat·ing, scape·goats
To make a scapegoat of.
[scape + goat (translation of Hebrew 'z 'zl, goat that escapes, misreading of 'z'zl, Azazel).]

scapegoat (ˈskeɪpˌɡəʊt)
n
1. a person made to bear the blame for others
2. (Bible) Old Testament a goat used in the ritual of Yom Kippur (Leviticus 16); it was symbolically laden with the sins of the Israelites and sent into the wilderness to be destroyed
vb
3. (tr) to make a scapegoat of
[C16: from escape + goat, coined by William Tyndale to translate Biblical Hebrew azāzēl (probably) goat for Azazel, mistakenly thought to mean ``goat that escapes'']
Mera

Post by Mera »

Heith wrote:. a person made to bear the blame for others

Thanks Heith, this was my initial feelings Azazel made a scapegoat, someone to bear the blame.

My feelings tell me the difference of bearing blame and being a scapegoat are two different things, they feel to have two different subtle defining lines of understanding. I sense there was more to those events than has been disclosed when the bible was put together.
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Heith wrote:(Bible) Old Testament a goat used in the ritual of Yom Kippur (Leviticus 16); it was symbolically laden with the sins of the Israelites and sent into the wilderness to be destroyed

So, it is Yom Kippur time once again tonight. Although I don't follow Jewish religious almanac in other ways than being reminded of it by Wikipedia's daily news, I have noticed that this is one festivity that always seems to be in synch with the Star of Azazel and/or my personal energies. Almost every year there starts some or other synchronisms regarding the archetypes of both Azazel and Judas (the New Covenant's similar outcast) some time before Yom Kippur, and at this point they reach their climax and start to wade off once again. This year these synchronisms have been extremely intense in many respects.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Heith

Post by Heith »

Nefastos wrote:
So, it is Yom Kippur time once again tonight.
Fascinating, I was not aware of this. Thank you for sharing!