Holistic Satanism

Convictions, morals, other societies and religions.
Heith

Holistic Satanism

Post by Heith »

I've been discussing the topic of striving towards holistic Satanism with one of our fraternity members for months. In our conversations, a sort of red thread has been our lifestyle (where and how we choose to live, or what sort of a lifestyle is a goal for us) as well as actual spiritual practises. I would be interested to read on your take to holistic Satanism (/occultism)- what it means to you (if indeed anything)? Have you made any progress towards your goals, and how has this affected your every day life? Or perhaps you feel that such thing is nonsense in the field of Satanism-which I would also be keen to read about, as well as your reasons for it.

I've quite a lot to write about this, I think, but I would rather keep my message short today and read your thoughts before any mammoth posts!
Kenazis

Re: Holistic Satanism

Post by Kenazis »

Heith wrote:...holistic Satanism (/occultism)- what it means to you (if indeed anything)? Have you made any progress towards your goals, and how has this affected your every day life? Or perhaps you feel that such thing is nonsense in the field of Satanism-which I would also be keen to read about, as well as your reasons for it.
Holism is one of the "rootwords" of my approaches to life in general. Holism in a nutshell (for me) could be seen as equally respecting the human as body-mind-soul -complex and strengthening all these, not neglecting any of them. Practically this means training the body and mind (holistically) and trying to deepen the understanding and connection with Satan. I see my physical-training ( and mental/intellectual "training") being a form of holistic satanism, so they affect very much on my everyday life.

I keep this short for now...
"We live for the woods and the moon and the night"
Heith

Post by Heith »

Kenazis wrote:Holism in a nutshell (for me) could be seen as equally respecting the human as body-mind-soul -complex and strengthening all these, not neglecting any of them. Practically this means training the body and mind (holistically) and trying to deepen the understanding and connection with Satan. I see my physical-training ( and mental/intellectual "training") being a form of holistic satanism, so they affect very much on my everyday life.
If I understand correctly, your physical training consists of strengthening your body physically, so in a way, becoming more present in the physical world (/vivification) which in turn strengthens your spirit. A holistic approach can also be a sort of opposite of this, I think, so that one would seek to become less present in the physical world and focus on the spiritual progress. A sort of, "the body is an illusion" kind of thing (/mortification); opposite in practise and seemingly also, the means, but sharing a similar goal which is the holistic approach.

This sort of goes in the comments from me as in our sports/ physical exercise - thread, but no matter.

For myself I've found that holistic Satanism means first environmental or nature oriented approach. I often observe that being surrounded by much people and what we call civilisation, distracts my spiritual work. I'd like to add that being physically fit is not at all excluded in my way of thinking when it comes to holistic Satanism, and while I'm not nearly as strong or fast as I'd like to be, I believe it does help a lot to stay healthy especially if one aspires to spend more time in nature or live with less of the every day comforts that our society offers to everyone.
Kenazis

Post by Kenazis »

Holism philosophically means that the whole is bigger than just its parts combined. There's somekind of emergence involved. What we mean about "the whole", what is our perspective, differs. My perspective of whole was (in that earlier post) body-mind-soul. While I didn't write it, it includes the planes/levels of existence also (physical - mental - spiritual). Dissecting existence like this is not the best example, but I think in this conversation this is more clear than theosophical septenary.
Heith wrote:If I understand correctly, your physical training consists of strengthening your body physically, so in a way, becoming more present in the physical world (/vivification) which in turn strengthens your spirit.

Correctly enough. If we see our bodies (physical,astral,mental etc.) as vehicles or instruments, that means that their shape and functionality goes hand in hand with their use. Better shape = better functionality = better serving their purpose. Also if we think that everything is connected and affects others, the training of your mind affects your body and vice versa (very poorly put, but I think you get the point).
Heith wrote:A holistic approach can also be a sort of opposite of this, I think, so that one would seek to become less present in the physical world and focus on the spiritual progress. A sort of, "the body is an illusion" kind of thing (/mortification); opposite in practise and seemingly also, the means, but sharing a similar goal which is the holistic approach.
My thinking slightly differs with this part. I see physical world being potentially as spiritual as any other world, but I think our differing views might be just about semantics.
Heith wrote:For myself I've found that holistic Satanism means first environmental or nature oriented approach. I often observe that being surrounded by much people and what we call civilisation, distracts my spiritual work.
My example was anthropocentric, but nature is included in my holism as it is part of the whole. As is nature part of human. I become distracted also via those you mention.
"We live for the woods and the moon and the night"
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

When speaking about "holistic Satanism", I take the stress is here in the first word, not the last? But actually, I think that they go hand in hand: when one wants to be whole, in one way of another he constantly comes back to those things which are the most obscured to him.

I consider the truthfulness to be the key of the keys here. If we want to remain in solid truth and not in the shades of grey, every nuance of our actions and words should strive to be as whole, i.e. holistically true, as possible. This creates a great responsibility, it is an occult demand. People whose minds are not solid, who think this way in this company and that way in another, or who have paradoxical needs where there is no actual absolute direction to be followed, cannot become (or, during those times of failed trials, remain as) occultists: they are instantly fragmented by the touch of the "other side", the Satanic part of the world. For whether they are Satanists themselves or not, occultists must cope with that other side of being, personal and collective subconscious.

Of course, we have the parts of the cycles where mind is going through different kinds of emotions. I am not talking about that; there can, and must, be different feelings in different places and times. But whatever the emotion, the same ethics - the same world view - should always remain. If that is not the case, then more work is needed to establish such an inner tower of spiritual strength. If one's morals, one's need to work, or one's feeling of innermost self changes according to situations, then more work is needed in this holistic Satanism. More subconscious demons must be faced and either maimed or tamed.

When speaking about holism, we quickly come to face the concept of dharma. What is the actuality of whole to the next person, is not necessarily the whole of mine. Should one person be able to cope instantly with all the world's problems, he would be shattered to utter insanity instantly. But we all have the cross we are are able - if sometimes only barely & with great anguish - to bear.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
RaktaZoci

Post by RaktaZoci »

Both these words, 'holistic' and 'satanism' raise a question mark in my mind. Not because I wouldn't know what they mean, but more of how they should be interpreted and/or understood. Of course, in the context of the SoA we may have a similar approach to the subject, but this is not a given.

Thus far I have usually avoided the term satanism, because it very often creates such negative, and, generally speaking, wrong mental images. In a sense I could call myself a satanist, but that would require for the listener to be aware of how Satan is portrayed in our philosophy and what his archetype represents.

What comes to holism, I see it as a key word in occultism. It's hard for me to imagine what a sort of a part-time-satanist/occultist would be like. For me, it is such a comprehensive existentional structure that it penetrates all being and doing. It is always present in everything I think and do, as is also, of course, its ethical side.
die Eule der Minerva beginnt erst mit der einbrechenden Dämmerung ihren Flug.
-Hegel
Jiva

Post by Jiva »

I think holism (togetherness) and Satanism (separateness) are implicitly related to each other: they give each other meaning. Encountering anything disagreeable is nevertheless some sort of holistic relationship that informs oneself and others – from the first moment, everything we encounter is automatically a part of us in some way. Because of this opinion I don’t really consider myself to have any absolute anti-cosmic beliefs although, of course, it can be tempting at times.

An individual is together with the world, both in their everyday life and as part of a wider grouping of people. Within these relationships there are various laws – both explicit and customary – that are swayed by popular opinion of some sort. Some might be agreeable; some might be ridiculous. Therefore, in an ethical sense, I see Satanism as carving separate spaces within these laws, to treat others (and indeed oneself) in a more responsible manner. Incidentally, although in many or most cases I guess this might mean ‘treat people more generously/leniently’ (or ‘turn the other cheek’, if you will), I don’t think this is necessarily the case all the time. Things can, on some level, simultaneously be accepted but also challenged.
'Oh Krishna, restless and overpowering, this mind is overwhelmingly strong; I think we might as easily gain control over the wind as over this.'