Rosicrucianism

Convictions, morals, other societies and religions.
obnoxion

Rosicrucianism

Post by obnoxion »

The beginning of the Rosicrucian furor in Europe was heralded by the appearance of two new stars in the night sky. One of these was the Kepler’s Supernova that appeared in the heel of the constellation Ophiuchus in 1604. This is actually the first supernova unquestionably observed by the naked eye. The other one appeared in the constellation Cygnus, the P Cygni, which was discovered by a Dutch astronomer in 1600, and which faded away, slowly dropping below naked-eye visibility in 1626.

These two new stars featured prominently in the original Rosicrucian mythos, and we see them featured, for example, in the famous emblem of The Invisible College of the Rose Cross Fraternity by Theophilus Schweighardt: http://orderroseandcross.org/rosicrucia ... ories.html

I think that the appearance and the fading away of the P Cygni is a fine correspondence to the rise and fall of the few Rosicrucian years at the beginning of the 17th Century, and how the immense hope faded so tragically into the darkness of the 30 Years War.

By this little prelude I’d like to open a discussion about all things Rosicrucian. Are you familiar with Rosicrucianism? What are your views about it?
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Nefastos

Re: Rosicrucianism

Post by Nefastos »

Your astronomical anecdote is a beautiful one, & personally I think you are right in seeing synchronism in that. Sadly, I know little of the things astronomical & astrological, so I really can't add anything to that.
obnoxion wrote:By this little prelude I’d like to open a discussion about all things Rosicrucian. Are you familiar with Rosicrucianism? What are your views about it?

As it has been pointed out by many a writer, it's sometimes hard to say anything about Rosicrucianism with clarity, since the name is used in many meanings. Sometimes it has been even a synonyme for occultism at large. Sometimes Rosicrucians are only the members of certain esoteric or semi-esoteric sects. Sometimes the Christian esotericism is known as Rosicrucianism. And even I, who consider myself a Satanist, think that I have a certain Rosicrucian streak in me. It was the Flower Cross I wore & everntually turned, after all - not anymore seeing the spiritual meaning in world's suffering, to the extent it has grown.

I suggest a very nice & informative & not too hefty book on the subject, Christopher McIntosh's The Rosicrucians: The History, Mythology, and Rituals of an Esoteric Order. It shouldn't be too expensive, either. Also, it might be a good idea to read the original Fama Fraternitatis & Confessio Fraternitatis; I think they can be found from levity.com & elsewhere. It has been too long I have read them myself, but the original corpus certainly is interesting.

I believe that Rosicrucianism was the way of the occult revival in the Piscian age, "making the way for the lord", in trying to underline the message of Love that was the heart of the doctrine of the Nazarene. The time it emerged that doctrine was already quite sublimated, sophisticated, and in a way even elitistic. It wasn't a complete success, but of course it made some good impact nevertheless. And gave us something we can build on.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Heith

Post by Heith »

obnoxion wrote:Are you familiar with Rosicrucianism? What are your views about it?
When I was a kid I read a book about all kinds of supernatural & occult things. I think it was a reader's digest book. There was a short mention of Rosicruciansm as a secret order that no longer exists and a picture. I decided on that day to find this order when I was an adult and join them because I was convinced it still existed in some form, or otherwise was sleeping and needed someone to revive it. In a way I think I did, as I came to join an esoteric society.

I can't recall why the Rosicrucianism seemed inviting. Perhaps that was the only esoteric society mentioned in the book. Or maybe I liked that it was a secret, underground thing. Or maybe the picture was nice, can't remember. Come to think of it, that is still often how I operate; secrets intrigue, and visuals attract.
RaktaZoci

Post by RaktaZoci »

This order is not particularly familiar to me apart from the name. I remember reading somewhere that it's ideas have been compared to freemasonry and even theosophy(?)

War and Peace (the Tolstoi novel) has some references to this as one of the characters is introduced to persons who are members and they describe some of the rituals used. I dont recall, however, if it was mentioned that this order was particularly Rosincrucians or some other esoteric society.

The books Nefastos mentioned seem informative and interesting. They could also be found from British Amazon for less than 10 pounds a piece and should be on American Amazon as well. I'm not sure how well stocked libraries are outside of Finland, but atleast my home town has quite an extensive collection of books on these subjects.
die Eule der Minerva beginnt erst mit der einbrechenden Dämmerung ihren Flug.
-Hegel
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

I just read "Chemical wedding". It's a beautifully written short novel about an old man's initiatory, symbolical adventure, supposedly written by Rosenkreutz himself in 1459. In Finnish, titled "Hermeettinen romanssi".
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

obnoxion wrote:The beginning of the Rosicrucian furor in Europe was heralded by the appearance of two new stars in the night sky. One of these was the Kepler’s Supernova that appeared in the heel of the constellation Ophiuchus in 1604. This is actually the first supernova unquestionably observed by the naked eye. The other one appeared in the constellation Cygnus, the P Cygni, which was discovered by a Dutch astronomer in 1600, and which faded away, slowly dropping below naked-eye visibility in 1626.
I think this might mean that it was a period when "gates of initiation" were open in more inclusive way for the Western World.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
fra.BVH

Post by fra.BVH »

Hello,

I've been not online here on the forum for more then 2 years. And by now I've become a member of the GCOL & I've reached the first degree within the AMORC. Amongst other groups on facebook from Luciferian & Satanism from esoteric to occult & gnosis........ .
planets & stars have there influence on people living on this planet they can influence behavior.
The AMORC has alot of interesting books now Pythagoras and positive & negative frequencies and how they work in daily life. As I'm reading fosfor again and the luciferian cathecism still having to fill in the application of this order SoA