Books on sámi mythology

Discussion on literature other than by the Star of Azazel.
Heith

Books on sámi mythology

Post by Heith »

So, as the topic states, I am looking for books on Sámi mythology. I am particularly interested of things related to the gods. I was hoping someone might be able to recommend me some.

Preferable academic tone to the writing.
Jiva

Re: Books on sámi mythology

Post by Jiva »

We talked earlier, but here’s the stuff I could find on the internet, volumes 12 (1987) and 14 (1991) of Scripta Instituti Donneriani Aboensis. Just click on the tables of contents to have access to free pdfs of every article. There’s also some other stuff about Old Norse and Finnish stuff amongst others. Looks like a very interesting publication, although I haven’t read anything yet so can’t say how good it is.

The books I found in English that seem well respected were both by Louise Bäckman and Åke Hultkrantz, the first called Studies in Lapp Shamanism, the second called Saami Pre-Christian Religion: Studies on the Oldest Traces of Religion Among the Saamis. I've no idea if there's anything specifically on gods, but I assume there must be at least a bit. However, being academic books on niche subjects I could only find them for £120 and £65 respectively. I can send you links if you’re interested; I won’t post them here in case someone sneakily takes them before you :P.

I guess it's more likely there will be books in Finnish, but I have no idea how to search for these so won't be much help.
'Oh Krishna, restless and overpowering, this mind is overwhelmingly strong; I think we might as easily gain control over the wind as over this.'
RaktaZoci

Post by RaktaZoci »

Jiva wrote: I guess it's more likely there will be books in Finnish, but I have no idea how to search for these so won't be much help.
Juha Pentikäinen - Saamelaiset-pohjoisen kansan mytologia could be recommended.
die Eule der Minerva beginnt erst mit der einbrechenden Dämmerung ihren Flug.
-Hegel
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

Heith

Post by Heith »

RaktaZoci wrote:
Jiva wrote: Juha Pentikäinen - Saamelaiset-pohjoisen kansan mytologia could be recommended.
I have this one.
Benemal wrote:I haven't read it, but intend to. http://www.amazon.com/Fragments-Lappish ... 0968588190
I've read this one, the library has it.

Thanks Jiva, I can't afford to buy any books at the moment, but I will read what these archives have to offer. At least they might lead me to something else.
Nokkonen

Post by Nokkonen »

This is a good one as it is written by the leading experts in saami studies field: http://www.helsinki.fi/~sugl_smi/senc/en/johdanto.htm

Is there any deity you are particularly interested in?

Edit: Unfortunately the English language site is not up to date with all the articles, but it's published as a book Sami Encyclopaedia. Finnish site is complete if I remember correctly.
Heith

Post by Heith »

Thank you very much, I shall browse this on my leisure.
Nokkonen wrote:
Is there any deity you are particularly interested in?
Yes, Leaibolmmai.