Glamours

Rituals, spells, prayer, meditation and magical acts.
Sebomai

Glamours

Post by Sebomai »

I thought this would be interesting to discuss as I've been contemplating it a great deal lately.

Firstly, what glamours do you consciously use and what effects on others are you aiming for when you utilize them? I tend to be pretty confident when I am out among strangers but also use a glamour to increase that air of confidence. Very rarely do I feel a need to use a glamour that hints at me being dangerous. I used to use that one all the time, but left it mostly behind me long ago, except for in situations that appear they could turn dangerous and I want to project the idea that it is unwise to engage in that sort of thing with me. I also project a glamour of happiness, especially around those I love, even when I do not feel particularly happy, because sometimes I want them to be happy and I feel that projecting happiness on myself to them seeps into them and becomes their happiness. Also, I find that a glamour left on long enough tricks you into thinking it is a vital part of who you are and I use it to move myself from depression to happiness sometimes. My own version of magical therapy!

The second topic I wanted to bring up. I think everyone uses glamours, even if it is not always conscious. The habitual wallflower no one ever notices has a great invisibility glamour going on, and the low self esteem person everyone thinks isn't worth their effort to interact with is throwing a leave me be glamour unwittingly. The thing I notice is that many people, mostly men who feel like they must wander around everywhere they go proving their masculinity, wear a glamour mask of aggression. I generally do not respond in kind but put on a double glamour of both confidence and friendliness. Sometimes this melts their aggressive glamour while other times it makes it even stronger. Does anyone else look into those glamours, the really aggressive macho ones, and see a great deal of insecurity behind it? I don't think anyone needs to project that much hostility unless they feel truly insecure about themselves.

One more thing, do any of you agree that a huge part of being a Mage/sorcerer/occultist is the ability to see beyond the glamours others project? I think it is a vital skill and if one falls for everyone else's glamours, then maybe one is taking the world and life too much at a surface level to be able to excel at their highest in their occult work. If anyone thinks that is incorrect, just tell me, but in my experience, the most accomplished Occultists I've ever known have rarely been fooled by the glamours of others, particularly the unconscious ones.
Sebomai

Re: Glamours

Post by Sebomai »

A discussion with fra. Nefastos reminded me of one other glamour I put on with frequency. The "wise and holy" glamour. Because I enjoy being perceived that way and because I'm trying my best to "fake it till I make it!!!!"
Heith

Post by Heith »

Sebomai wrote: One more thing, do any of you agree that a huge part of being a Mage/sorcerer/occultist is the ability to see beyond the glamours others project? I think it is a vital skill and if one falls for everyone else's glamours, then maybe one is taking the world and life too much at a surface level to be able to excel at their highest in their occult work. If anyone thinks that is incorrect, just tell me, but in my experience, the most accomplished Occultists I've ever known have rarely been fooled by the glamours of others, particularly the unconscious ones.
Yes, I believe this is true. I can quite often tell when someone is being dishonest, or not showing how they really are. I make a note of this, and usually don't bother myself further with these people.

I don't know if this also goes on the same category, but sometimes it seems one can pick up very bad vibes off some people even if there is nothing wrong with their looks, so they are not the obvious bad person- I guess it's instinct, but some people give off a kind of darkness. I will always move away from these people if I see them for example in the train.
Nokkonen

Post by Nokkonen »

Sebomai wrote: The second topic I wanted to bring up. I think everyone uses glamours, even if it is not always conscious. The habitual wallflower no one ever notices has a great invisibility glamour going on, and the low self esteem person everyone thinks isn't worth their effort to interact with is throwing a leave me be glamour unwittingly.
I've always thought that magic is an intentional act of affecting ones self or the world (and obviously both). Therefore I wouldn't conceptualize people's basic demeanor as a glamour because it's pretty semiconscious, like you said. I think it's glamour (magic) when somebody intentionally exercises their will to change the way they want to be perceived. But absolutely people with social issues might benefit from dabbling with glamour magic!
Sebomai wrote: One more thing, do any of you agree that a huge part of being a Mage/sorcerer/occultist is the ability to see beyond the glamours others project? I think it is a vital skill and if one falls for everyone else's glamours, then maybe one is taking the world and life too much at a surface level to be able to excel at their highest in their occult work.
Absolutely!