Black Moon

Symbols and allegories.
Jiva

Re: Black Moon

Post by Jiva »

I somehow completely forgot about this thread :oops:.

As there are a lot of different interpretations of a Black Moon, I’m going to cheat slightly and mention solar eclipses :P. I witnessed a partial one when I was eleven that had a sort of weird Wicker Man carnival atmosphere as most of the village celebrated it in our schoolyard, at the centre of which was a maypole which people were dancing around. There were also traditional games going on in the schoolyard and old tractors from the 40s or 50s were driving around due to some sort of maintenance work going on that some retired local farmers took care of. It had a very profound experience on me that I can’t explain, along with most of my other moon-gazing experiences, so I guess this post is kind of lame. However I guess this could’ve been the experience that started that process.
'Oh Krishna, restless and overpowering, this mind is overwhelmingly strong; I think we might as easily gain control over the wind as over this.'
Heith

Post by Heith »

Jiva wrote:It had a very profound experience on me that I can’t explain, along with most of my other moon-gazing experiences, so I guess this post is kind of lame.
On the contrary- I found it to be captivating. It's always interesting to know of this kind of things- seemingly small events that are deeply meaningful.
RaktaZoci

Post by RaktaZoci »

Moon has always played a significant role for me, it also being the planet of my star sign, Cancer.

I just had a talk with an old friend of mine how just the mere presence of the moon can have a magical effect. Her experiences simply included drinking tea in the moonlight, it thus sort of empowering her being. I can very much relate to this.

Was just one night listening to Coil and Balances words stunned me for a second:
"This bright moon is a liquid. The dark earth is a solid. This is moon music in the light of the moon"
die Eule der Minerva beginnt erst mit der einbrechenden Dämmerung ihren Flug.
-Hegel
Fomalhaut

Post by Fomalhaut »

Jiva wrote:I somehow completely forgot about this thread :oops:.

As there are a lot of different interpretations of a Black Moon, I’m going to cheat slightly and mention solar eclipses :P. I witnessed a partial one when I was eleven that had a sort of weird Wicker Man carnival atmosphere as most of the village celebrated it in our schoolyard, at the centre of which was a maypole which people were dancing around. There were also traditional games going on in the schoolyard and old tractors from the 40s or 50s were driving around due to some sort of maintenance work going on that some retired local farmers took care of. It had a very profound experience on me that I can’t explain, along with most of my other moon-gazing experiences, so I guess this post is kind of lame. However I guess this could’ve been the experience that started that process.
Was it the one which happened during august 99?
"I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become."
— C.G. Jung
Jiva

Post by Jiva »

Yeah. I checked Wikipedia to find out and saw that it passed over Turkey, so I guess you witnessed it as well?
'Oh Krishna, restless and overpowering, this mind is overwhelmingly strong; I think we might as easily gain control over the wind as over this.'
Nokkonen

Post by Nokkonen »

I have always always always had a passionate love-affair with the moon in all her aspects and I tend to think that her dark and bright faces both lend different kinds of power to workings, and to life in general.

For me, Dark Moon is a time of letting go and renewal, and as a woman, I liken it to the start of periods that serve as a sign that nothing is gestating. I often celebrate this phase by taking a walk in the dark without lamps or lights because the stars are best visible and the I enjoy the energies outside during this time because they are sad and contemplative. In a way, it's also easier to see further during this time of the month and often I feel compelled to attempt divination.

New Moon that follows shortly after the Dark, is, for me, when the first sliver of the moon is technically or actually visible. Astrologically speaking, dark and new moons are synonymous, but I find that there's a huge energetic difference between the two. New Moon is for growing things and making new plans, dark is for dying and banishing.

Little bit off topic, but how do you other Northerners find the moon energies during the summer when the skies are all bright all of the time? I often feel like high summer isn't energetically quite as "magical" as winter but meant for more practical things.
Heith

Post by Heith »

Nokkonen wrote: Little bit off topic, but how do you other Northerners find the moon energies during the summer when the skies are all bright all of the time? I often feel like high summer isn't energetically quite as "magical" as winter but meant for more practical things.
During summer I don't even attempt to do art because the summer sun somehow kills my creativity. Perhaps this is because sleeping is extremely difficult for me during summertime. Being uncreative used to cause me a great deal of anxiety until I discovered gardening (which actually is highly creative, not just in the same way). So during summer I grow things and execute more physical tasks. During winter, I withdraw from physical activities, slow down and spend time thinking, reading and drawing. Of course there's also physical work to do during winter like showering snow and carrying firewood, but still it's a lot less. I don't agree with people who find warm weather and sunlight to be an energy booster, for me the effect is opposite.
Nokkonen

Post by Nokkonen »

Heith wrote: So during summer I grow things and execute more physical tasks. During winter, I withdraw from physical activities, slow down and spend time thinking, reading and drawing.
That's my experience on seasons too! I also end up devoting my summers to practical, physical tasks like gardening, gathering wild herbs, berries, mushrooms, hiking, and so on. But magic? Not so much. When the moon comes back again and the days grow colder my tides change into more introspective mode that's conductive for doing quiet things. I'm not really bothered by summer, however.
Fomalhaut

Post by Fomalhaut »

Jiva wrote:Yeah. I checked Wikipedia to find out and saw that it passed over Turkey, so I guess you witnessed it as well?
Yes, i witnessed it. 8 days after that my hometown was destroyed by a huge earthquake.
"I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become."
— C.G. Jung